7th Heaven get canceled for this??

Sweet Jane 61

PASADENA, California (AP) -- The Camden family is disappearing from television in May strictly for financial reasons: the WB's top executive said Sunday that the network is losing $16 million this year on "7th Heaven."

The family drama, the most popular program in the network's history, will end its run after 10 years. The decision seems irreversible despite an Internet campaign to save it, even though "7th Heaven" is still the WB's second highest-rated show after "Gilmore Girls." (The WB, like CNN, is a division of Time Warner.)

Production costs tend to jump for television series as they get older, largely because the salaries of actors and others involved grow with success. "7th Heaven," about a family of seven and all their friends, has a large cast.

As a result, the WB is developing a new comedy about teenagers in a New England boarding school.

The network is also developing series for Ellen DeGeneres, playing the voice of a family dog; music star Brandy; and Nick Lachey, the about-to-be former Mr. Jessica Simpson, as the lead in a romantic comedy.

I have watched 7th Heaven from the beginning and love the show. I was able to watch it with my neice when she was young and not worry and it is an good family show. And now we have something to look forward to with Nick Lachey??? Sorry won't be checking that out!!

When dumping a popular TV show, the last defense of the network programmer is to put it on the heads of the Accounting department. (After all, there hasn't been a successful TV show about accountants..,or has there?) That way, "the suits" get to stick it to the "jeans gang" on the set. (A paraphrase from "WKRP in Cincinnati" about Herb & Les vs. Johnny Fever, Venus, and Andy Travis.) After all, the last thing TV execs want is to be compared to CBS, which used to keep above average TV shows going for decades. (Ya gotta watch where the 18-35 demographic channel surfs.) :stars: