Top 10 Worst "Lost Love" Songs..

RonJonSurfer

Top 10 Worst "Lost Love" Songs

Guide Picks

From Dave White, at About.com

Your Guide to Classic Rock.

Love has long been a popular theme in rock music: finding it, wishing you could find it, losing it, never having it, wanting more of it.

Lost love has inspired poets, novelists and songwriters through the ages. The theme has also inspired some of the worst rock song lyrics you can imagine.

Hey, I don’t make this stuff up. These, believe it or not, are for real!

1) "Love Stinks" - J. Geils Band

This song is little more than an exercise in thinking of words that rhyme with “stinks,†with no requirement that they make any sense. “I’ve had the blues, the reds and the pinks.

One thing for sure, love stinks.â€Perhaps, but no more so than, say, a dead fish, or this song.

2) "Still ... You Turn Me On" - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

This is one of my favorite groups, and some of my least favorite lyrics. "When you're buried in disguise

By the dark glass on your eyes

Though your flesh has crystallised;

Still...you turn me on.â€

"Every day a little sadder,

A little madder,

Someone get me a ladder."

A ladder? Could this get any badder? Isn't crystallised flesh bad enough? Sheesh!

3) "Answering Machine" - The Replacements

And the award for the Most Incomprehensible “Lost Love†Song Lyrics goes to: “She sticks in my ribs almost better than you did

And maybe I’m tired or maybe she glowsâ€And maybe we’d all have been better off not having been subjected to this song.

4) "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" - Meat Loaf

There’s lyrical imagery and there’s allegory and there’s … whatever the heck this is: â€I’m tired of words and I’m too hoarse to shout,

But you’ve been cold to me so long

I’m crying icicles instead of tears.â€Crying icicles? Well, brr-hoo. This definitely causes me to want to make like a bat out of hell.

5) "Muskrat Love" - America

I'm not sure this deals strictly with lost love. In fact, it's hard to know just what it does deal with. The title alone suggests problems ahead. “And they whirled and they twirled and they tangoed,

Singin’ and jingin’ the jango,

Floatin’ like the heavens above

It looks like muskrat love.â€Now, I like to jing the old jango as well as the next guy, but I have to believe that some thematic possibilities have been overlooked when the lyrics center on the mating habits of muskrats.

6) "Love Hurts" - Nazareth

“Love is like a cloud, holds a lot of rain.â€

“Love is like a flame, it burns you when it’s hot.â€Some songs touch the heart. Some touch the soul. Others, like this one, touch the intestines with a feeling not unlike that induced by food poisoning. Sometimes they make the muskrats start to look good.

7) "Pictures of You" - The Cure

The pictures described in this song seem to have been posed in front of a fun house mirror. “You were angels

So much more than everything

Hold for the last time then slip away quietly

Open my eyes

But I never see anything.â€Make song words fit randomly with but my vertigo and other feelings strong.

8) "Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've?)" - The Buzzcocks

“And we won’t be together much longer

Unless we realize that we are the sameâ€

â€You disturb my natural emotions

You make me feel like dirt

And I’m hurt

And if I start a commotion

I’ll only end up losing you

And that’s worseâ€

Worse? You want worse? What's worse than these lyrics?

9) "MacArthur Park" - Richard Harris

Nothing begs for a metaphor like a lost love, especially one that is so much like a pair of wrinkled trousers. “As we followed in the dance

Between the parted pages and were pressed

In love's hot, fevered iron

Like a striped pair of pantsâ€This song's sole redeeming quality was that, at well over seven minutes in length, it gave radio DJs the opportunity to take a potty break.

10) "You Are the Everything" - R.E.M.

For all of you lovers who have always dreamed of sleeping with your teeth in your mouth: “Late spring and you’re drifting off to sleep

With your teeth in your mouth

You are here with me

You are here with me

You have been here and you are everythingâ€

" Girlfriend In a Coma " -- The Smiths : Slightly amusing upon first hearing for it's uniquness , but then a bit disturbing .

"Girlfriend in a coma

I know , I know , --

it's serious " ...

"Do you think that

she'll pull through ?

Do you really think she'll

pull through ? "

:stars: :P :laughing:

Top 10 Worst "Lost Love" Songs

Guide Picks

From Dave White, at About.com

Your Guide to Classic Rock.

8) "Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've?)" - The Buzzcocks

“And we won’t be together much longer

Unless we realize that we are the sameâ€

â€You disturb my natural emotions

You make me feel like dirt

And I’m hurt

And if I start a commotion

I’ll only end up losing you

And that’s worseâ€

Worse? You want worse? What's worse than these lyrics?

This criticism could be taken more seriously if the lyrics were quoted accurately.

I've never heard of Dave White, but I strongly suspect he's a tosspot of the highest order.

This criticism could be taken more seriously if the lyrics were quoted accurately.

I've never heard of Dave White, but I strongly suspect he's a tosspot of the highest order.

I would never disagree with BF on such an important issue (only trivial ones that get his goat :laughing: ). Buzzcocks rule.

Also, Love Hurts is such a stonking tune that it is hard to do a bad version. So, what if the bloke from Nazareth (Dan McCafferty...if memory serves) has a voice like a muskrat being dragged through a bailing machine by his nuts...that's ok.

:guitar:

For what it's worth, Jennifer Warnes did a stupendous version of that song which leaves me all a-quiver whenever I hear it and I nearly put it in the 'Nostalgia' section some time ago. :angel:

So, what if the bloke from Nazareth (Dan McCafferty...if memory serves) has a voice like a muskrat being dragged through a bailing machine by his nuts...that's ok.

I don't even feel the need to post here at Songfacts anymore. All I have to do is quote all of you insanely, ridiculously funny people and make little smiley faces...and my work is done. :laughing:

I also agree with bllidfitter, "ever fallen in love with " is a cool song! as is "pictures of you" , the comments made are utterly stupid! the song is about a lost love, which is why he says that

"i've been looking so long at these pictures of

you that i almost believe that they're real i've

been living so long with my pictures of you that

i almost believe that the pictures are all i can

feel "

clearly, if you read the lyrics, you will see that he is reminiscing about her!

Even though I was just coming into my teen years and so impressed by rock ballads as to feel any song played on the radio was a valid adoptable attitude, and even though, like millions of pubescent boys, I was infatuated with Lesley Gore; from the first time I heard it, I have had a problem with this song. And it took three men to write it!

It's My Party

written by Wally Gold, John Gluck, and Herb Weiner

recorded by Lesley Gore

Nobody knows where my Johnny has gone

Judy left the same time

Why was he holding her hand

When he's supposed to be mine

Playin' my records, keep dancin' all night

Leave me alone for a while

'Til Johnny's dancin' with me

I've got no reason to smile

Judy and Johnny just walked through the door

Like a queen with her king

Oh what a birthday surprise

Judy's wearin' his ring

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to

Cry if I want to, cry if I want to

You would cry too if it happened to you.