Matthew Sweet

DrCowbell

Superb...big hit in my English household...first came to attention with the single 'Evangeline'...never a hit, but got many plays on late night radio and the little band I was in at the time used to cover it. The album Girlfriend has nary a bad track and we soon started doing 'Winona', 'I'm Still Waiting' and, my favourite 'cos I got to do the guitar solo, 'Divine intervention'....(with the divine Robert Quine on guitar). Next heard forming a 'super-group' with a bunch of mates, calling themselves the Thorns and covering the song 'Blue'...not as good as the original. None-the-less, a great talent and well worth checking out.

'Winona' is a particular moistener....girls love it...I used to get mobbed when we did it (well, in my head I did)I'll post the lyrics elsewhere.

Great choice :thumbsup:

Heh. I'm new here so I wasn't sure if it'd be OK to fly off the handle over him.

Girlfriend is one of the most perfect guitar albums I have ever heard, and I think that is a big deal considering some of his songs are country tinged. :D I love (besides the obvious Girlfriend and I've Been Waiting) I Wanted To Tell You and Looking At The Sun and Nothing Lasts.

I might be repeating myself but ordering it is something I need to look into here cause they only seem to have the Japan album out in the HMV Hong Kong I go to often.

flying off the handle about music is exactly what we all do here! the idea behind the 'get the word out' forum is that people can tell us all about someone up and coming or who we may not have heard of yet. usually people give us the names of albums, best songs, even a few photos if you're computer literate! so knock yourself out and feel free to tell us all about it!!

oh and btw, welcome!! :)

• 1 year later...