Mary Mary

Carl

As big of a Monkees freak as I am, I'm able to find nothing that directly relates to "Mary Mary." I found gobs of information on Michael Nesmith, but nowhere in any of his message boards, interview transcripts or liner notes does he say anything about that particular song. Sorry :(

Here's a little more info, though none of it really has anything to do with the genesis of the song:

Vocals: Micky Dolenz

Guitar: James Burton, Glen Campbell, Al Casey,

Michael Deasy, & Don Peake

Bass: Bob West & Larry Knechtel

Piano: Michael Cohen

Drums: Hal Blaine & Jim Gordon

Percussion: Gary Coleman

Arranged By: Donald Peake

Produced By: Michael Nesmith

Recorded At: Western Recorders, Hollywood

Date: July 25, 1966

The sessions for The Monkees' second album actually coincided with the last session for their debut. As Boyce & Hart were holding sessions at RCA, Nesmith was holding a session nearby at Western. Micky sang "Mary, Mary" which was released on their second album. The mono and stereo mixes of the song differ slightly. Once again, arranger Don Peake played guitar along with James Burton, Al Casey, Michael Deasy, and for the lead, Glen Campbell. Michael Cohen played piano; Larry Knechtel and Bob West handled bass work; Hal Blaine and Jim Gordon played drums; and Gary Coleman was the percussionist.

---

It also appeared in this episode of "The Monkees", the TV show:

I've Got A Little Song Here

Original Airdate - 11/28/66

As usual, RJ is right... if I lived in America I´m certain I would finally get his number or adress and get an interview with him. Besides, an old glory loves it when people remember him. And they love to talk about themselves and their art. You wouldn´t believe how many times I got to meet my top stars -when I was very young, not working still- just by saying ."Hi, I work for blahblah magazine and I´d love to ask a few questions!" :)

here's what I was able to find about Michael Nesmith's e-mail address. This is through his homepage: nez@primenet.com. Anyone who wants to e-mail him - go for it! But he says on his Web site that he checks his e-mails only every two weeks or so, and doesn't reply to everything...

someone had written him asking about his song lyrics, and here is his response (from his Web site):

"LA in the mid 60's was strange. The songs I wrote during that period were uniformly reviled. Producers and such (like Bob Krasnow) wanted me to

record "hits"... a kinda of 'buy low, sell high' wisdom... and so rejected my own songwriting in favor of those early singles, etc. Then, when The Monkees came along my songs were only allowed on the records to humor me, the 'music side' of the show having been promised to Tommy and

Bobby. However, none of the songs you mention were even considered for the show. Bert and Bob wanted 'hits' too.

Of course they were right in some way. I don't think the show would have been the same without the early Boyce and Hart material. Clarkesville WAS a hit, even before we even hit the air. Yet, to this day I have never conciously written a "hit' since I generally ignore the politics and

conventions of the times. I wouldn't know a hit song if it bit me. I seem to be getting worse at this too...wait till you hear The Garden. It's all

instrumental.

So the early material is more about producers trying to catch a hit, rather than the message or artistry of a singer or a song, and that's why

it's so poor and why it makes me cringe a little. Baby pictures, but in some weird make-up. nez"

and here's his Web address for anyone who wants to take a look...

Shawna, your the best. I will use my charm, wit and intelligence in writing to Mike. When he notes I have none of those I'll beg.

Seriously though, I'll e-mail the question on behalf of Songfacts in hopes that Mike can answer Carl's original questions.

Once again, you´re always right. :bow: Shawna is the best! :thumbsup: Maybe Michael Nesmith would like to register too... :)