OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that might be it Invis ! I could never warm to Acts like Gary Numan and some of the others mentioned in the Wikipedia link that Edna kindly provided. I was surprised to see The Eurythmics classed as Electro/Techno Pop.

I know Dave Stewart played the synthesizer to good effect, and did a great job producing them, but Annie Lennox's voice stood alone - I wouldn't have cared if she'd been backed by cowbells.

She first came to our notice as lead singer of The Tourists when they had a 1980 #6 Hit in Australia with a cover of Dusty Springfield's "I Only Want To Be With You".

:)

P.S. I love Popcorn. But back in 1972 it was just a "novelty" instrumental.

Edna wrote:

Or maybe some stuff by The Smitherens... but they never were on the charts.

Ahh, but they were in the U.S., Edna.

They only hit the U.S. Top 40 chart 2 times and both songs just barely made it, but they did it, none the less.

"A Girl Like You" (from their 1989 album release "11" hit #38 on the U.S. Billboard chart).

"Too Much Passion" (from their 1991 album release "Blow Up" hit #37 on The U.S. Billboard chart).

I agree they didn't get much exposure.

It's a shame, as they were a great band.

I was first introduced to them with the release of the single "A Girl Like You".

This is a great song! It is my favorite Smithereen song and also one of my favorite songs of any groups.

I never got the album "11", so that is the only song that I heard from that album.

When they released the album "Blow Up" in 1991, I purchased the disc and it was well worth it.

It is a great album. Many songs I liked on that album. :thumbsup:

The Smithereens :rockon:

THE 1986 U.S. TOP TEN SINGLES

1. THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR / DIONNE & FRIENDS

2. WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN / THE BANGLES

3. ON MY OWN / PATTI LABELLE & MICHAEL McDONALD

4. STUCK WITH YOU / HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS

5. GREATEST LOVE OF ALL / WHITNEY HOUSTON

6. ROCK ME AMADEUS / FALCO

7. HOW WILL I KNOW / WHITNEY HOUSTON

8. GLORY OF LOVE / PETER CETERA

9. KYRIE / MR.MISTER

10.TRUE COLORS / CYNDI LAUPER

THE U.K. TOP 3

1. TAKE MY BREATH AWAY / BERLIN

2. DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY / COMMUNARDS WITH SARAH-JANE MORRIS

3. WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING/

BILLY OCEAN

THE AUSTRALIAN TOP 3

1. VENUS / BANANARAMA

2. WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH.../ BILLY OCEAN

3. FUNKY TOWN / PSEUDO ECHO

Bananarama-Venus-284943.jpg

(1512) THANKS FOR LOOKING !!!

As for your strange attraction to Depeche Mode, I'd keep that one close to your chest, mate.

IMHO, they produced nought but drivel for many years, including some of the most risibly lamentable lyrics in history.

"Enjoy The Silence" and "Personal Jesus" are both pretty good though...

hey! they have some great songs, "enjoy the silence" and "personal jesus" only being two of them. say it outloud diggs, i am with you! :P

GUESS WHAT WAS THE NUMBER ONE U.S.SINGLE OF 1986 ???

THAT

Sorry ! I have a Great Pic of Dionne Warwick and "Friends", Stevie Wonder, Elton John and Gladys Knight but I can't get it to show up.

Young55 (Computer Whiz Kid) has gone to the Movies, so I'll wait until tomorrow our time to get him to fix it.

:P

Edited by Guest
Lack of computer skills !!!

They only hit the U.S. Top 40 chart 2 times and both songs just barely made it, but they did it, none the less.

"A Girl Like You".

"Too Much Passion"

The Smithereens :rockon:

My fave was "Blood and Roses"...

What happened?? I streched the thread???

Edited by Guest

Thanks Peaches. You're a Dear. Young55 is still snoozing at the moment so I won't have to ask him to fix it now.

Sorry I'm not including "trivia" any more. There's not enough views now to warrant my spending hours on it. I do thank those who still look at my Top 10. I'll be stopping after 1991 anyway, because that's the year the U.S. Charts self destructed, when the methods of compiling them were changed. Not the Music. There'll always be good new music written. Sometimes you just have to look a little harder.

:P

I liked the Berlin song.

Me too Phil. I think it's a Pop Classic. My other favorites from those lists are Bananarama's great version of Shocking Blue's "Venus" - just loved the film clip - we used to wait for it every week on "Countdown" where it was #1 for nearly 2 months. Also the Bangles "Walk Like An Egyptian".

You're right Laurie - it was a great video. Lots of fun. Funny, I always think of the Bangles and Bananarama together too !

Phil, Susannah Hoffs was the standout beauty in the Group. That's what broke them up I think. Their management wanted her to "front" the Group and the others resented it, because they'd shared lead vocals.

I love "Eternal Flame" - it would probably get my vote for Song of the 80s. Their cover of "Hazy Shade Of Winter" is excellent too.

:thumbsup:

U.S. TOP TEN SINGLES FOR 1987

1. FAITH / GEORGE MICHAEL

2. LIVIN' ON A PRAYER / BON JOVI

3. ALONE / HEART

4. LA BAMBA / LOS LOBOS

5. WITH OR WITHOUT YOU / U2

6. I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW / TIFFANY

7. NOTHING'S GONNA STOP US NOW / STARSHIP

8. I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY (WHO LOVES ME) / WHITNEY HOUSTON

9. AT THIS MOMENT / BILLY VERA & THE BEATERS

10.(I JUST) DIED IN YOUR ARMS / CUTTING CREW

I'll have to confess that I can't recall #9. I read that it was first recorded in 1981, but became popular in 86/87 when it was used on TV's "Family Ties" starring Michael J. Fox. That was one of our favorite shows, so I'd probably know it if I heard it.

U.K. TOP 3

1. NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP / RICK ASTLEY

2. CHINA IN YOUR HAND / T'PAU

3. NOTHING'S GONNA STOP US NOW / STARSHIP

AUSTRALIAN TOP 3

1. NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP / RICK ASTLEY

2. LOCOMOTION / KYLIE MINOGUE

3. LA BAMBA / LOS LOBOS

:headphones: