OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked "Roll With It" as well, and I was a Miami Sound Machine fan. I still think Gloria Estefan has a pretty voice.

I think One More Try is one of George Michael's best songs.

As for the rest, I don't hate them, but I don't love them. I do have to admit that I used to sing "Groovy Kind of Love" to my daughter when she was a baby, at least a few lines of it. I remembering walking around the house singing "When I'm feeling blue, all I have to do, is take a look at you, then I'm not so blue.." and rocking her to sleep.

THE 1989 U.S. TOP TEN SINGLES

1. MISS YOU MUCH / JANET JACKSON

2. STRAIGHT UP / PAULA ABDUL

3. RIGHT HERE WAITING / RICHARD MARX

4. LIKE A PRAYER / MADONNA

5. LOST IN YOUR EYES / DEBBIE GIBSON

6. BLAME IT ON THE RAIN / MILLI VANILLI +

7. WHEN I SEE YOU SMILE / BAD ENGLISH

8. GIRL I'M GONNA MISS YOU / MILLI VANILLI +

9. FOREVER YOUR GIRL / PAULA ABDUL

10.TOY SOLDIERS / MARTIKA

11.WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE / BILLY JOEL

12.TWO HEARTS / PHIL COLLINS

+ There's a couple of extras there if you don't want to count the Milli Vanilli songs.

It was revealed in 1990 that the Duo of Rob Pilatus and Fabrice Morvan who comprised Milli Vanilli didn't sing on their debut Album "Girl You Know It's True" (from which they had three #1s and two other Top 5 Hits).

Their Producer, Frank Farian, made the tracks in the studio (sang by real musicians) and selected the boys for public appearances, because of their "charisma", to mime to the songs.

Nobody caught on until the boys wanted to have a go at really singing in 1990; Farian objected strongly and went public with the truth. They had to give back the 1989 Grammys they'd won for "Best New Act".

The boys weren't heard from again until Rob Pilatus died of a drug oversose in 1998.

Who was the real villain of the piece ? Was any real harm done (except for Pilatus' death) ? Although I wouldn't have liked to have paid to see a "Live" concert !

The practice of studio musicians releasing songs as a "Band / Group" wasn't at all uncommon in the latter part of the 60s and into the 70s. Some of those even "assembled" a Group for public appearances if their song/s became really popular.

Frank Farian did this in 1976 with Boney M. He produced a "studio" single, Do You Wanna Bump, and then advertised for four singers to "become" the Group Boney M !

U.K. TOP 3

1. RIDE ON TIME / BLACK BOX

2. SWING THE MOOD / JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS

3. ETERNAL FLAME / THE BANGLES

AUSTRALIAN TOP 3

1. IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME / CHER

2. SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY / FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS

3. YOU GOT IT (THE RIGHT STUFF) / NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK

My personal favorite from all those, and most likely my Song Of The Decade is

Eternal Flame / The Bangles.

:drummer:

I remember the Fine Young Cannibals, I think I even had to see them live... they were funny. The charts were getting worse as the decade was ending... :P

I can say I never heard Milli Vanilli... I knew about the playback but that´s all.

Eddie Brickell, Melissa Etheridge or Suzanne Vega were starting by then. And I recall the last Talking Heads album, "Naked", was released.

Well if you all (y'all for Souther Folk) didn't like 1989, I don'think you'll be too impressed with 1990 either. No long stories today; just a comment about one song.

HERE'S THE TOP TEN U.S. SINGLES OF 1990

1. NOTHING COMPARES TO U / SINEAD O'CONNOR

2. BECAUSE I LOVE YOU (THE POSTMAN SONG) / STEVIE B

3. VISION OF LOVE / MARIAH CAREY

4. VOGUE / MADONNA

5. ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE / PHIL COLLINS

6. LOVE TAKES TIME / MARIAH CAREY

7. OPPOSITES ATTRACT / PAULA ABDUL

8. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LIVE WITHOUT YOU / MICHAEL BOLTON

9. STEP BY STEP / NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK

10.ESCAPEDE / JANET JACKSON

Now I'm sure that UNCHAINED MELODY / THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS should be in there somewhere. I don't know how to place it.

The original 1965 version used in the Movie "Ghost" was re-released in 1990 on a 45 Vinyl 7" Single only. It charted for 19 weeks, peaking at #13.

A new version recorded in 1990 was released on Cassette only, charted for 25 weeks, sold Platinum, but only peaked at #19! I'd love to hear the Chart Compilers' explanation of that one.

U.K. TOP 3

1. SACRIFICE:HEALING HANDS / ELTON JOHN (DOUBLE A SIDE) *

2. NOTHING COMPARES TO U / SINEAD O'CONNOR

3. UNCHAINED MELODY / THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS

* Both were released as Singles the previous year without much success. This re-release of the two coupled really hit big (#1 for 5 weeks).

AUSTRALIAN TOP 3

1. LOVE SHACK / THE B 52s

2. NOTHING COMPARES TO U / SINEAD O'CONNOR

3. UNCHAINED MELODY / THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS

:stars:

I'll give you a clue Edna.

As I sit here now I have a CD titled "Mellow 60s" playing. Was it RonJon who said I'd soon be reaching for my 60s and 70s collection again ?

:)

Mellow 60s (Various Artists)

Here's a Question for the Senior Songfactors. How many of these tracks do you know ? I'll back UncleJoe, RonJon or Bluesboy to know the most. Although Phil may know the U.K. ones and they mightn't. :grin:

1. Up On The Roof / The Cryan' Shames (knowing The Drifters' version doesn't count)

2. Blue Velvet / Bobby Vinton

3. Hey Baby (They're Playing Our Song) / The Buckinghams

4. Turn Down Day / The Cyrkle

5. Wild Mountain Thyme / The Byrds

6. A Symphony For Susan / The Arbors

7. I Knew You When / Billie Joe Royal

8. Little Green Apples / O.C.Smith

9. Wear Your Love Like Heaven / Donovan

10.Butterfly / Marmalade

11.This Girl Is A Woman Now / Gary Puckett & The Union Gap

12.You've Made Me So Very Happy / Blood, Sweat & Tears

13.Arizona / Mark Lindsay