OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

THE TOP 10 U.S. SINGLES OF 1982

1. I LOVE ROCK 'N' ROLL / JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS

2. Ebony And Ivory / Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder

3. Eye Of The Tiger / Survivor

4. Centerfold / J.Geils Band

5. Maneater / Hall & Oates

6. Jack & Diane / John Cougar (Mellencamp)

7. Don't You Want Me / Human League

8. Up Where We Belong / Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes

9. Abracadabra / Steve Miller Band

10.Hard To Say I'm Sorry / Chicago

Plus 5 Other #1 Hits in ranked order....

11.Truly / Lionel Richie

12.Chariots Of Fire - Titles / Vangelis

13.Mickey / Toni Basil

14.Who Can It Be Now / Men At Work

15.I Can't Go For That / Hall & Oates

U.K. TOP 3

1. Come On Eileen / Dexy's Midnight Runners

2. Eye Of The Tiger / Survivor

3. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me / Culture Club

AUS. TOP 3

1. Come On Eileen / Dexy's Midnight Runners

2. Key Largo / Bertie Higgins

3. Eye Of The Tiger / Survivor

= Down Under / Men At Work

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO ALL THE BEAUTIFUL LADIES HERE !!!

OF COURSE, YOU'RE ALL BEAUTIFUL. :)

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Centerfold" and "Abracadabra"!!!! I love these songs... :)

I also thought that rock was dead in 81, just like RonJon... but that was the year I got involved full time in "now" music... my job was to discover new bands and musicians... write about them, make videoclips, have them signed to a record company, look at the charts, make music TV shows with new bands that were trying to merge, etc... some of my friends and boyfriends were musicians. So I decided to give it a try...

I hated the new romantic look and techno music isn´t my cup of tea, but I must admit there was a creative revival in these years. Not the magic of the sixties/seventies but anyways, the show must go on...

20040714elpepiesp2ilbw3mm.jpg

And Blondie all the way!! :bow:

That's a shame; others said similar things about 1981, but I love (almost) all of those 1980,81,82 Top 10 songs. I think the early 80s featured some of the Best Pop songs ever written. I'm not ready to revert back to the 60s and 70s yet!

This is of course before the Techno stuff and "all look alike" British Boy Bands.

:)

TRIVIA QUESTION: Which U.K. Boy Band's name rhymes with the surnames of two of it's members ???

Are you referring to: Bros. >> Luke and Matt Goss?

Not one of my favourite bands I hardly need say. Weren't they around 1988 or therabouts? I seem to remember a good-natured "animated debate" with a house-mate: whose better, Bros or Throwing Muses? :P

(I believe this question (or a variation thereupon) may have later cropped up as an exam question in General Studies O/A Level: Music Module)

Edited by Guest
pointless addition of post-script that isn't even amusing

B-F said: Are you referring to: Bros. >> Luke and Matt Goss?

Yes, that's them ! :coolio:

For some reason they pronounced it "bross" rhymes with "cross" (and Goss). No I didn't like them either. They're one of the "interchangeable" British Boy Groups of the 80s I was referring to. My girls used to like them though.

ALSO, I forgot to mention that the last of our 5 children "Young 55" was born in 1982. Thanks for keeping my computer going Mate.

81, ... but that was the year I got involved full time in "now" music... my job was to discover new bands and musicians... write about them, make videoclips, have them signed to a record company, look at the charts, make music TV shows with new bands that were trying to merge, etc... some of my friends and boyfriends were musicians. So I decided to give it a try...

I hated the new romantic look and techno music isn´t my cup of tea, but I must admit there was a creative revival in these years. Not the magic of the sixties/seventies but anyways, the show must go on...

That's very impressive Edna. I would have loved to have done something like that.

:thumbsup:

Well... I didn´t mean to impress... :laughing: I was just explaining -to myself too, I see it clearer when I see it written- why and how I got to like 80s music... I also thought that after Patti Smith´s "Horses" there was nothing new under the sun. The music scene was a way of life for me so I´d rather enjoy it... :laughing:

That's a shame; others said similar things about 1981, but I love (almost) all of those 1980,81,82 Top 10 songs. I think the early 80s featured some of the Best Pop songs ever written. I'm not ready to revert back to the 60s and 70s yet!

I generally love 80s pop, it is probably my favorite pop ever, but the songs in that top 10 weren't that exciting to me

Edna wrote:

my job was to discover new bands and musicians... write about them, make videoclips, have them signed to a record company, look at the charts, make music TV shows with new bands that were trying to merge, etc...

Who were some of the bands that you discovered and had signed, Edna?

Don't keep us in the dark. This is exciting. :coolio:

Rachel, that's fine. I probably mightn't like some of the 80s music you do either ! Here's someone for you girls to get excited about. I gave Peaches some nominees and the opportunity to choose "Spunk Of The Year" for 1982, but she still hasn't gotten over Rick Springfield from 1981.

I have the envelope in my hand ......... :drummer:

And the Winner is.............a man with more hair under his armpits than I have on my head ...............lead singer of Dexy's Midnight Runners, KEVIN ROWLAND !

dexy.jpg

Edna wrote:

Who were some of the bands that you discovered and had signed, Edna?

Don't keep us in the dark. This is exciting. :coolio:

The bands that signed contracts are Spanish bands, the main ones and the best ones, of course, cause besides, they were my friends... :laughing: I would give you their names but you wouldn´t know them.

As for the international bands, we made concerts and TV shows with Lords of the New Church, Tuxedo Moon, Culture Club, Echo and the Bunnymen, U2, Violent Femmes, Psychedelich Furs, Japan, Cabaret Voltaire, Gruppo Sportivo, Spandau Ballet, Ultravox, China Crisis, The Sound, The Dream Syndicate, REM, etc. That was in the early 80s and they were more than happy with all the promo and also with the shows they brought back home in video... I also worked with not so new people (David Byrne, New York Dolls, Elliot Murphy, John Cale and others) but I guess what counts is the fact that I learned to like a new sound that I didn´t like at first.

Rachel, that's fine. I probably mightn't like some of the 80s music you do either ! Here's someone for you girls to get excited about. I gave Peaches some nominees and the opportunity to choose "Spunk Of The Year" for 1982, but she still hasn't gotten over Rick Springfield from 1981.

I have the envelope in my hand ......... :drummer:

And the Winner is.............a man with more hair under his armpits than I have on my head ...............lead singer of Dexy's Midnight Runners, KEVIN ROWLAND !

noooooo!

Come On Eileen!....I Love That Song! :)

Me too Laurie, but I reckon they all look a bit 'dodgy' in the the Video Clip. Poor Rachel has just received a shock from seeing their lead singer. They all wore blue overalls that looked like large toddlers' playsuits in the clip - and I'm not kidding about his armpits.

;)

We guys didn't have too many ladies to choose from either in 1982 (no disrespect). Joan Jett, Jennifer Warnes and Toni Basil, although she looked pretty good for 38 ! She didn't look it in the "Mickey" clip, did she ?

Phil, how about giving us a pic of Pat Benatar for 1983. Even though she won't make the Top 10, that was the year of her biggest Hit "Love Is A Battlefield".

Quasimodo - his face rings a bell !

And the second part of the joke is that when Quasimodo's killed falling from the bell tower, his twin brother takes over as bell ringer. He also slips and falls to his death, and the crowd again gathers round. They can't quite work out who he is, and one of them says " I don't know him, but he's a dead ringer for the other guy."

;)

We used to have twins living near us, and I always found them hard to tell apart - until her brother grew a moustache.

Boom Boom !!