OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great song to introduce the Eighties. It was written and performed by The Monitors, a Brisbane (my home City) Group. It was #1 here, but only peaked at #16 nationally. Except for Katie (and of course she wasn't around then) those Southerners wouldn't know a good song if it bit them in the buttocks.

;)

SINGING IN THE 80s LYRICS

I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry

The night that disco died

The lazer lights were kickin' off my dancin' shoes

But there was nobody dancin' in sight

Got high with the song of gloom

The moon is listenin' in

What will we be singin' in the 80s, what should we be singin' now

You gotta help us get back on the track again mack

You gotta help us get back over the wa-all

I can see Sergeant Pepper standin' high on a hill

With George, John, Ringo and Pau-aul, a-and Paul

The lights went out in the city around me

Alone I feel so co-old

They killed the lights and they killed the music

But they'll never kill rock and ro-oll, oh-oh no

Don't look back over your shoulder

The world is growing colder

Repeat Chorus twice more and fade.....

Two cute twin sisters sang backup and the Chorus. I believe they both moved to England, but that was too wet, so they went to the U.S.A. (They must have left Brisbane to advance their careers. I can't think of any other reason to leave here !)

;)

In Australia the Decade belonged to Abba. We couldn't get enough of them. Elton John and Olivia Newton-John were our favorite male and female performers. If you've read this far, I'll bet you'll be surprised to hear that Suzi Quatro was our #2 female choice, even before Happy Days. We loved her !

I've read and watched things on tv that said Australia caught Abba fever before the rest of the world.

And I don't mind Suzie Quatro but I'd pick David Bowie over her any day :D

I think this is a great song to introduce the Eighties. It was written and performed by The Monitors, a Brisbane (my home City) Group. It was #1 here, but only peaked at #16 nationally. Except for Katie (and of course she wasn't around then) those Southerners wouldn't know a good song if it bit them in the buttocks.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Edited by Guest

MovieCoverRockyHorror.jpg

WELCOME TO THE EIGHTIES.

A Decade popularised by great U.S. singer/songwriters such as Michael Jackson, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Lionel Richie .....the end of British Chart dominance in the U.S., although many fine U.K. Acts emerged.....the ladies came into their own as superstars, namely Madonna, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson.....some Musicians changed their guitars for synthesisers and other weird electronic devices/ manufactured Pop.....more 'androgynous' acts such as Boy George & Culture Club.....the deaths of John Lennon and Karen Carpenter.....the births of Christine Aguilera and Britney Spears.

When arguments arise as to the "Best Decade" in Pop/ Rock the 60s and 70s usually get the most mentions, but just browsing through my Record/ Tape/ CD Collection and Music Books, I can assure you there were a LOT of Great Pop Songs in the Eighties.

I hope you enjoy my Posts. Your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated.

:)

Thanks for your kind words Laurie.

Yes, that was the Rock 'n' Roll of the 80s. Would you call Van Halen a Hair Band ? They were probably my favorite Rock Group of the 80s. Oh, and GNR at the end of the 80s of course.

:)

Edited by Guest

Hi All.

Before I put on the Top 10, I'd like to explain why it may be different to others you may find.

If a Song reached #1 towards the end of a year and carried over to the next, I DON'T split the Points over both years. I believe that's unfair, and include it in the year that it first reached #1.

(Just Like) Starting Over is a perfect example. It debuted on the Chart on 1 November 1980 and reached #1 on 27 December. It spent another 13 weeks on the Chart in 1981, and some other "Yearly Chart" compilers have it in 1981.

I don't have any problems with that, but they also have Lady in 1981 too. That doesn't make sense, because it charted 13 weeks in 1980 and peaked at #1 for 6 weeks, then charted a further 12 weeks (on the way down) in 1981.

Here's the TOP TEN U.S. SINGLES OF 1980 as I interpret them.

1. LADY / KENNY ROGERS *

2. Call Me / Blondie

3. (Just Like) Starting Over / John Lennon

4. Upside Down / Diana Ross

5. Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) / Pink Floyd

6. Rock With You / Michael Jackson

7. Funkytown / Lipps Inc. **

8. Magic / Olivia Newton - John

9. Crazy Little Thing Called Love / Queen

10.Woman In Love / Barbra Streisand

Here's the other #1s for the year, ranked in order.

11.Another One Bites The Dust / Queen

12.Coming Up (Live At Glasgow) / Paul McCartney & Wings

13.It's Still Rock And Roll To Me / Billy Joel

14.Do That To Me One More Time / The Captain & Tennille

15.Please Don't Go / KC & The Sunshine Band

16.Sailing / Christopher Cross ***

* Written by Lionel Richie.

** Who said Disco was dead ? A great song ! The Group's name is a clever play on words, pronounced Lip Synch, which we always called miming.

*** The song/artist won 3 Grammys; Record Of The Year, Song Of The Year (it was also written by Christopher Cross), and Best Newcomer.

All Out Of Love by Australian Group, Air Supply, spent 4 weeks @ #2 on Billboard's Charts. Some other U.S. Charts showed it as reaching the #1 Spot.

U.K. Top 3

1. Don't Stand So Close To Me / The Police

2. Woman In Love / Barbra Streisand

3. Crying / Don McLean

AUS. Top 3

1. Shaddup You Face / Joe Dolce Music Theatre *

2. I Got You / Split Enz **

3. Moscow / Genghis Khan ***

* I'm mortified !

** A great New Zealand Group featuring the Finn Brothers.

*** About the Moscow Olympics, which many Countries didn't attend because of Russia's war with Afghanistan. A very catchy song though.

2.jpg

JOHN WINSTON ONO LENNON:

Born 9th October 1940, senselessly killed 8th December 1980.

R.I.P.