OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

Daryl, The Richard Harris version works for me too. Can't explain why, it just did.

I was never big into disco, but I liked the sound that Chic put out.

Many critic's thought Player's Baby Come Back. was a rip-off of Hall and Oates' She's Gone. They are similar?

Love Franki Valli and the Four Seasons. I saw the play Jersey Boys, based on the Four Season's career, when it premiered in Southern California. It is now a big Broadway hit. If you happen to be in NY, definitely check it out.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eeh, takes me back Daryl! I had a bit of a thing for the little Aussie minx you know....

Regards

Aha Diggs ! That sounds very much like the phrase used in the Goodies' "Saturday Night Grease" episode. We all loved her, still do. And of course she was born in England. She could play cricket for you guys (maybe as Keeper ?, or has whatsisname improved.) How did he make that great catch to get Kasper out and win that Test (and the Ashes)?

;)

Onya Phil ! Lots of people have rubbished that song and the lyrics, but the Richard Harris original 'works for me" also. Funny, Donna Summer wasn't as big in Australia as she was in the U.S. She sure got our attention with Love To Love You Baby though!

You'll probably think I'm "sucking up", but I think Le Freak is most likely the best Disco song ever too ! Then there's I Will Survive / Gloria Gaynor (mmm, maybe I'd put that #1) and I Love The Nightlife / Alicia Bridges too.

I think I'll start a thread "Your Top Ten Disco Songs". Have to have a think about the other 7. I'd certainly include Lady Marmalade and Knock On Wood. Maybe Disco Duck ?

:)

I never did understand all the fuss over Andy Gibb, Peaches. You must to have had to be female, hey Joe ? I do like his I Just Want To Be Your Everything.

I was 9, Old 55. I can't be held responsible for my likes and dislikes back then. :grin:

Here's the TOP TEN U.S. SINGLES FOR 1978.

1. NIGHT FEVER / THEE BEE GEES

2. Shadow Dancing / Andy Gibb

3. Le Freak / Chic

4. Stayin' Alive / The Bee Gees

5. Kiss You All Over / Exile

6. Baby Come Back / Player

7. Boogie Ooogie Oogie / A Taste Of Honey *

8. MacArthur Park / Donna Summer **

9. (Love Is) Thicker Than Water / Andy Gibb

10.Grease / Frankie Valli

I love all things Gibb and I don't care who doesn't like it. :grin: Fantastic songwriting and spectacularly coiffed hair...that's a combination that can't be beat.

Oh, how I adored "Grease". I could recite every line of that movie and sing every song. I wanted to be just like Olivia. Unfortunately, that's never happened. :laughing:

"Kiss You All Over" looks out of place on that list, doesn't it?

Hi Peaches. We have 2 daughters who are big Olivia fans. They were 8 and 4 then and probably didn't really understand "Grease" either - although I do remember the eldest saying "tell me about it, Stud". They love it now.

Probably their favorite Movie was "Xanadu" - bit of a shocker, but Great music from E.L.O., Olivia and The Tubes.

Kiss You All Over is a brilliant song. :thumbsup:

I never did understand all the fuss over Andy Gibb,

I was 14, and he was Australian, skinny, and HOT. :googly:

2. Shadow Dancing / Andy Gibb

To the light, takin' me through the night,

Shadow dancing, baby, you do it right.

Or something like that. :grin:

Victoria Principal was a lucky goil.

Hi Peaches. We have 2 daughters who are big Olivia fans. They were 8 and 4 then and probably didn't really understand "Grease" either. They love it now.

My son is 12 and the other day he told me he was watching a really cool movie on TV. I went into his room and it was "Grease." (!)

Xanadu was a bizarre little flick.If I'm not mistaken, I believe Gene Kelly was the director. I rank that movie with the Seargent Pepper movie with The Brothers' Gibb and Peter Frampton as truly hideous.

I enjoy The 60's version of the Bee Gees. "Words"," How Do You Mend A Broken Heart","I've Gotta Get A Message To You" and "To Love Somebody" are great tunes.

I enjoy The 60's version of the Bee Gees. "Words"," How Do You Mend A Broken Heart","I've Gotta Get A Message To You" and "To Love Somebody" are great tunes.

I love them in their sixties version too. Everything they did before they turned disco was amazing... I started to like the post seventies Bee Ges some years ago.

Andy Gibb had nice songs too but as with all the Gibbs, I don´t find him attractive...

Diggs, I'm probably being a bit tough on young Geraint. We just thought it was funny that he was third string Keeper for (my State) Queensland and then he bobbed up playing for England.

I got The Goodies DVD with the Disco episode for Christmas so it's still fresh in the memory. It's funny to see the reactions when they film parts of it live in the street.

Here's the TOP TEN U.S. SINGLES FOR 1979

1. MY SHARONA / THE KNACK

2. Bad Girls / Donna Summer *

3.Reunited / Peaches and Herb

4. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy / Rod Stewart **

5. I Will Survive / Gloria Gaynor

6. Hot Stuff / Donna Summer

7. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) / Rupert Holmes

8. Rise / Herb Alpert (Instrumental)

9. Ring My Bell / Anita Ward

10.Too Much Heaven / The Bee Gees ***

* Donna Summer confirmed her "Queen Of Disco" title with 3 #1s for the year, the third being No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) with Barbra Streisand.

** Rod Stewart finished the Decade on a high note, with this song reaching #1 in all three Countries I've been reviewing: U.S., U.K. and Australia. He also did it with Maggie May in 1971.

*** The Bee Gees also had 3 #1s, Tragedy and Love You Inside Outthe others. Things went into decline for them after that for a time. Not their songwriting though.

ANOTHER #1 of note was What A Fool Believes / The Doobie Brothers which deservedly took out the 2 major Grammys, "Record Of The Year" for the Doobs and "Song Of The Year" for it's writers, Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald.

U.K. Top 3

1. Bright Eyes / Art Garfunkel

2. Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) / Pink Floyd

3. I Don't Like Mondays / The Boomtown Rats

AUS Top 3

1. Lay Your Love On Me / Racey

2. Video Killed The Radio Star / The Buggles

3. I Was Made For Loving You / Kiss

A PRETTY GOOD YEAR MUSICALLY ! AND PERSONALLY: Our second son was born. Onya Big Fella.

BUT ... WHAT WILL WE BE SINGING IN THE 80s ???

"My Sharona" - The Knack

What an awesome song! :rockon:

I hate when radio stations play the radio edit version and about the last minute of the lead is cut out except for the final notes to make the song shorter.

That lead is so cool. :coolio:

It should always be played in its entirety.

I like all these too, and 'Massachusetts', 'New York Mining Disaster', 'Spicks & Specks', 'Run To Me'. Al Green did a fantastic cover of 'How Can You Mend A Broken Heart'. I also liked their disco era stuff as well :bow:

Here's the TOP TEN U.S. SINGLES FOR 1979

1. MY SHARONA / THE KNACK

2. Bad Girls / Donna Summer *

3.Reunited / Peaches and Herb

4. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy / Rod Stewart **

5. I Will Survive / Gloria Gaynor

6. Hot Stuff / Donna Summer

7. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) / Rupert Holmes

8. Rise / Herb Alpert (Instrumental)

9. Ring My Bell / Anita Ward

10.Too Much Heaven / The Bee Gees ***

Most of those songs have a...how shall I say it delicately...strong physical subject matter. I was 10, and I remember singing songs like "Hot Stuff" and "Do You Think I'm Sexy?" Yikes. :blush:

Here's the TOP U.S. ARTISTS OF THE SEVENTIES.

Male

1. Elton John

2. Paul Mc Cartney

3. James Brown

Female

1. Olivia Newton-John

2. Diana Ross

3. Donna Summer

Duos/Groups

1. Bee Gees

2. Carpenters

3. Chicago

In the U.K. Elvis Presley still ruled the year. He only had 2 #1s, but spent 333 weeks on the Charts, ahead of Elton John, Rod Stewart and Paul McCartney.

Groups and male singers dominated, but the top 3 ladies were the same as the U.S., with Diana Ross leading the way if you take into account her duets and Hits with the Supremes.

Abba were the Top Group ahead of T.Rex and Wings.

In Australia the Decade belonged to Abba. We couldn't get enough of them. Elton John and Olivia Newton-John were our favorite male and female performers. If you've read this far, I'll bet you'll be surprised to hear that Suzi Quatro was our #2 female choice, even before Happy Days. We loved her !