OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

I've never seen the Auntie Jack show, 55.

I don't think it aired in the US.

I think the closing statement, ("Goodnight me little lovelies. Don't forget to tune in next week, or I'll come around to your house and rip your bloody arms off.") is bloody funny! :laughing:

Yes, I laughed at that every week. Same as the song, where he said he'd reach through our speakers and do it if we didn't listen -"especially YOU, stupid !". It cracks me up every time I hear it. My Wife says "how can you always laugh at that when you know it's coming ?"

:)

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the TOP TEN U.S. SINGLES OF 1976.

1. TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT (GONNA BE ALRIGHT) / ROD STEWART

2. Silly Love Songs / Wings

3. Don't Go Breaking My Heart / Elton John & Kiki Dee

4. Disco Lady / Johnnie Taylor *

5. December 1963 (Oh, What A Night) / The 4 Seasons

6. Play That Funky Music / Wild Cherry

7. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover / Paul Simon

8. Kiss And Say Goodbye / The Manhattans

9. If You Leave Me Now / Chicago **

10.Afternoon Delight / The Starland Vocal Band ***

* First single to be certified Platinum ( = Sales of 2 Million at that time).

** Grammy Winner for Best Vocal by a Duo or Group. They got that right ! What a magnificent song.

*** Grammy Winner for Best New Artist(s).

U.K. TOP 3

1. Save Your Kisses For Me / Brotherhood Of Man *

2. Dancing Queen / Abba

3. Don't Go Breaking My Heart / Elton John & Kiki Dee **

All three spent 6 weeks each at #1.

*The 1976 Eurovision Song Contest Winner.

** Elton John's first #1 in the U.K.

AUSTRALA TOP 3

1. Fernando / Abba, 14 weeks @ #1

2. Dancing Queen / Abba, 9 weeks @ #1

3. If You Leave Me Now / Chicago, 9 weeks @ #1

The Starland Vocal band were husband and wife team Bill Danoff and Taffy Nivert. They wrote Take Me Home Country Roads, the big John Denver hit. Also loved the version of Afternoon Delights in Ron Burgundy- Anchorman.

Also, John lennon was ribbing Paul McCartney about only writing "silly Love songs". So Paul wrote the song Silly Love Songs and it was a huge hit.

Funny how pop and rock leaves room for disco and more AOR music in the seventies. I was very much into Lou Reed, Stones, Patti Smith and so by then, but I was starting to work in a music charts magazine so I should remember each and every song from those years...

Here's the TOP TEN U.S. SINGLES OF 1977.

1. YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE / DEBBY BOONE *

2. Best Of My Love / The Emotions

3. I Just Want To Be Your Everything / Andy Gibb

4. How Deep Is Your Love / The Bee Gees **

5. Love Theme From "A Star Is Born" (Evergreen) / Barbra Streisand ***

6. Sir Duke / Stevie Wonder ****

7. Torn Between Two Lovers / Mary MacGregor

8. Star Wars Theme, Cantina Band / Meco

9. Rich Girl / Hall and Oates

10.Hotel California / The Eagles *****

The year that saw the death of Elvis Presley. His last release "Way Down" only reached U.S. #18, which makes you sometimes doubt the validity of the Charts. I remember a respected Music Writer commenting on that; he said "it (the record) was sold out everywhere - I doubt if there was a copy left for sale on the Planet".

A word on the Grammy Awards. The most Prestigious is "Record Of The Year". You may wonder why they also have a "Song Of The Year" ? Well that's really acknowledging the writer/s.

Now for those *asterisks.

* Joint Grammy Winner for Song Of The Year. Spent 10 weeks @ #1. Debby Boone received the New Artist Grammy. She is the daughter of Pat boone and also a descendant of frontiersman, Daniel Boone.

** Grammy winner for Best Pop Vocal, Duo or Band.

*** Joint Grammy Winner for Song Of The Year. Barbra Streisand also won the Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Female.

**** Written as a tribute to Jazz Great, Duke Ellington.

***** Grammy Winner for Record Of The Year. They got that right ! :thumbsup:

Fleetwood Mac won the Grammy for Album Of The Year with Rumours, which spawned four singles, a #1 with Dreams and 3 other Top Tens Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way and You Make Loving Fun.

U.K. TOP 3

1. Mull Of Kintyre / Wings 9 weeks @ #1 (Top U.K. Hit of the Decade)

2. Way Down / Elvis Presley 5 weeks @ #1

3. Knowing Me, Knowing You / Abba 5 weeks @ #1

AUS. TOP 3

1. Mull Of Kintyre / Wings 10 weeks @ #1

2. I Just Want To Be Your Everything / Andy Gibb 9 weeks @ #1

3. Dance Little Lady Dance / Tina Charles 6 weeks @ #1

( A U.K. singer who never charted in the U.S.)

232/869

55 wrote:

The year that saw the death of Elvis Presley. His last release "Way Down" only reached U.S. #18, which makes you sometimes doubt the validity of the Charts. I remember a respected Music Writer commenting on that; he said "it (the record) was sold out everywhere - I doubt if there was a copy left for sale on the Planet".

It may have only reached #18 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart but it did peak at #1 on the U.S. Country charts. :thumbsup:

I was driving down the shore to see Heart play in Asbury Park when the radio came on with the announcement of Elvis' death. The Wilson sisters made an announcement on stage that night too. I wasn't a big fan, but I respected what Elvis meant to rock and roll. As the years have passed, I have grown to like his music even more.

) Fleetwood Mac won the Grammy for Album Of The Year with Rumours, which spawned four singles, a #1 with Dreams and 3 other Top Tens Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way and You Make Loving Fun

An album that should have, but didn't, include Stevie's song "Silver Springs," (my all-time favorite song) which she has said upset her no end.

Also, "Dreams" is the only #1 song Fleetwood Mac has ever had, and Stevie has said she is especially proud of that fact.

Thanks for contributing Shawna, RonJon and Brad. :)

Congratulations to our Pennsylvanian friends here on Songfacts. :thumbsup:

I won't put any Top 10 today, hopefully give a few people a chance to "catch up" after the Super Bowl. Mick still looked OK strutting out "Satisfaction". Aretha sounded fine, but, gee she's gained a few pounds since I last saw her. Then again, so have I.

1978 was the year of the Bee Gees. Songs written by the Brothers Gibb occupied #1 for half of the year !

I love The Bee Gees. They wrote so many good songs for just about everyone :D

Good to see a bit of discussion about the Bee Gees. They certainly were/are talented. I hope Barry and Robin are still writing songs.

You're right about songs for everyone Katie. That "half the year" included two #1s for Andy (and he had input in the writing too, not just a pretty face), Grease for Frankie Valli, and If I Can't Have You / Yvonne Elliman. Also Emotion / Samantha Sang which didn't quite get to #1. It did in Australia; she was a Melbourne girl, Cheryl Gray.

I never did understand all the fuss over Andy Gibb, Peaches. You must to have had to be female, hey Joe ? I do like his I Just Want To Be Your Everything.

I just looked up the Grammys for 1978. Saturday Night Fever LP won two awards, Best Album and Best Vocal / Duo or Group, the Bee Gees. I thought they would have won more. Billy Joel took out the 2 Major Awards with "Just The Way You Are", certainly a good song.

Here's two for Jr. If he was still around he'd love these ! I like both Artists, but I seem to remember him rubbishing them at times.

Best Pop Vocals:

Male, Barry Manilow "Copacabana"

Female, Anne Murray "You Needed Me"

Here's the TOP TEN U.S. SINGLES FOR 1978.

1. NIGHT FEVER / THEE BEE GEES

2. Shadow Dancing / Andy Gibb

3. Le Freak / Chic

4. Stayin' Alive / The Bee Gees

5. Kiss You All Over / Exile

6. Baby Come Back / Player

7. Boogie Ooogie Oogie / A Taste Of Honey *

8. MacArthur Park / Donna Summer **

9. (Love Is) Thicker Than Water / Andy Gibb

10.Grease / Frankie Valli

* They won the Best New Artist Grammy.

** Call me retro, cheesy, etc. But I like Richard Harris' 1968 version better. I must check out Phil's "non-singers making bad records" thread. It might be in there !

U.K. Top 3

1. You're The One That I Want / Olivia Newton - John & John Travolta

2. Rivers Of Babylon / Boney M

3. Summer Nights / Olivia Newton - John & John Travolta

AUS. Top 3

1. By The Rivers Of Babylon / Boney M

2. You're The One That I Want / Olivia Newton - John & John Travolta

3. Three Times A Lady / The Commodores

= YMCA / The Village People