Is it right or fair or just bizarre ?

Kevin

In this thread you list things that seem unfair or just not right , to you , or you may comment on the proposed items of others . Fighting and or disputes are encouraged-- within the moderators' indulgence , of course , -- it is blah January , afterall ... ;)

- The reward for turning in Osama Bin Laden is a mere $ 25, 000 ,000 -- which is near or far below that of the yearly salary of a star in any professional sport , or the entertainment industry . You'd think he'd be worth more than that , if you consider how much is being spent to fend him off or beat him .

- Speeding is an offence in all countries , yet car/ motorcycle manufacturers continue to put out some cars with the selling point that they can hit tremendous speeds -- and some people buy them based on that .

- Pat Robertson is not simply dismissed by his 'flock' as a quack , and forced to spend at least a week in the stocks .

- Nutritional information is placed on nearly all packages , yet few people are really sure what their optimal dietary requirements are , nor want to micromanage them , anyway ; and wouldn't likely reject someting they wanted based on it anyhow .

- Pre-nuptual agreements : If you don't fully trust and love the person you are going to wed -- why do it ? If you are too paranoid or distrustful of your potential spouse , you have issues to deal with and should not be married . What is this -- the Middle Ages ?

- Pre-nuptual agreements : If you don't fully trust and love the person you are going to wed -- why do it ? If you are too paranoid or distrustful of your potential spouse , you have issues to deal with and should not be married . What is this -- the Middle Ages ?

Yes, I always found this so so so "anti-romantic"...

I have to go sniff some lavendar now.

Hey, I want some... I never tried lavendar...

:P

I'm right there with you, Amy. I can't stand the regligious zealots that feel everyone else is beneath them, and that we're all going to hell if we don't take God into our souls and start going to church.

Here's my question: what makes them think that we haven't got God just because we don't go to church? Just because we don't ooze religion from every pore? Just because we believe that what is happening in this world is OUR doing and not sanctioned by God to "teach us a lesson"? God's teaching and His Son's teaching, to my knowledge, did not include sacrificing thousands of innocents for the sake of one tyrant.

Plus: There are so many gods - whose is the "real" one? The one that tells Osama to blow up the building? Or the one that tells us that's wrong?

I highly recommend the following book. It answered lots and lots of questions for me about religion, gods, soul, supernatural, etc. etc. Very informative.

Sacred Language Glossary of Earth

Plus: There are so many gods - whose is the "real" one? The one that tells Osama to blow up the building? Or the one that tells us that's wrong?

Yeah, this is one of the reasons i'm not religious, i just don't get it, I mean someone could live their whole life believing in the christian god and thinking they're gonna go to heaven and be with god, and then die and be reincarnated as a llama, coz buddha is the "real" god. Or they could be buddhist and end up being disappointed coz they go to heaven and never get to acheive nirvana.

Speaking of which: musical interlude;

I'm so happy 'cause today

I found my friends

They're in my head

I'm so ugly, but that's okay

Cause so are you

Broke our mirrors

Sunday morning is everyday for all I care

And I'm not scared

Light my candles

In a daze cause I found god

Yeah, yeah, yeah

I'm so lonely

That's okay I shaved my head

And I'm not sad

And just maybe I'm to blame for all I've heard

But I'm not sure

I'm so excited, I can't wait to meet you there

But I don't care

I'm so horny but that's okay

My will is good

Yeah, yeah, yeah

I like it - I'm not gonna crack

I miss you - I'm not gonna crack

I love you - I'm not gonna crack

I kill you - I'm not gonna crack

I have absolutely no religious beliefs, or at least I think so... but I´m sure that the world would be better if we all stick to the golden rule, "don’t do to others what you don’t want done to you".

I know, I´m quite naive... Who said that? Jesus Christ? In any case, God is more a cultural than a religious concept for me...

And thanks for the info, Rachel, I guess that I might like it if you liked it. :)

Freud said that God is just an entity man created during the course of civilisation in order to feel he has some sort of higher power to look up to. Also this way he doesn't feel responsible for mistakes he may have made and blames it on God claiming it to be his doing (Erich Fromm agreed saying something about how after the advent of capitalism and the increased freedom, man needed an authority figure otherwise, all sorts of neuroses showed up).

And then there's also the unfortunate bias people have... the book calls it belief-in-a-just-world, meaning that people attribute the msfortunes of others to their own doing. Cruel as it sounds, this is more to protect themselves from the fear that the same thing could happen to them. A form of denial, I guess.

My exams got over today. This is some residual knowledge.

Last night I heard on the news that they are going to execute a 76 year old man in California tomorrow morning. He is blind, deaf and in a wheelchair. The debate is whether that would be considered inhumane since he is no longer a danger to society.

I didn't get to hear what exactly he did, but I did hear him described as a "murderer", which is really the only crime that gets you the death penalty. Anyway, in my view, even though it does seem pointless to kill him now, he robbed a family (or several families) of loved ones at one point. Every day he's lived since then is a day they didn't have with their loved one.

Nothing has been mentioned about whether this man has apologized for his crimes or not, so if he isn't, is the debate happening only because he's disabled?

What do you guys think? Should he be executed?

When I say "an eye for an eye" I´m not talking about revenge; before this biblical law, if someone stealed he was caught and executed. After this, someone would receive exactly the same he did to others, not more.

Well, i don´t know, maybe it´s revenge... I don´t think any institution should kill people, I´d rather have their relatives doing what they think they should...

I dunno... I sometimes think that the literal sense of "an eye for an eye" would be fair. I remember years ago a big deal about a kid somewhere (can't even remember the country, jeez) who put graffiti on a car and got caught. They caned him. The U.S. was all up in arms about the "inhumane" treatment of our citizen in this other country... where I'm thinking, he'll never do anything like that again!

More severe punishment might make people a little less willing to risk crime. The laws in the U.S. for drunk drivers are getting more strict, but still not strict enough for my taste. Drunk driving is one of the most absolutely avoidable things a person can do. So there's not even the remotely slightest excuse in my book for a drunk who got behind the wheel and murdered (yes, murdered) or injured someone else.

The story:

By DAVID KRAVETS, Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO - A 76-year-old convicted killer — legally blind, nearly deaf and in a wheelchair — tried to stave off execution early Tuesday by arguing before the U.S. Supreme Court that it would be cruel and unusual punishment to put a feeble old man to death.

Clarence Ray Allen, whose birthday was Monday, was set to die by lethal injection just after midnight. He stood to become the oldest person executed in California — and the second-oldest put to death nationally — since the Supreme Court allowed capital punishment to resume in 1976.

Allen raised two claims never before endorsed by the high court: that executing a frail old man would violate the constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment, and that the 23 years he spent on death row were unconstitutionally cruel as well.

He was condemned in 1982 for ordering a hit from prison that left three people dead.

His heart stopped in September, but doctors revived him and returned him to San Quentin Prison's death row.

The Supreme Court has never set an upper age limit for executions or created an exception for physical illness. But some justices have expressed interest in deciding whether a long stay on death row is indeed unconstitutionally cruel.

In 20002, Justice Stephen Breyer said in the case of a Florida inmate who spent 27 years in prison: "It is fairly asked whether such punishment is both unusual and cruel."

Justice Clarence Thomas disagreed, writing that the inmate "could long ago have ended his anxieties and uncertainties by submitting to what the people of Florida have deemed him to deserve: execution."

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, the California Supreme Court and a federal appeals court refused to spare Allen's life.

Allen went to prison for having his teenage son's 17-year-old girlfriend murdered for fear she would tell police about a grocery-store burglary. While behind bars, he tried to have witnesses in the case wiped out, prosecutors said. He was sentenced to death in 1982 for hiring a hit man who killed a witness and two bystanders.

Before Allen, the oldest person executed in California since the reinstatement of the death penalty was a 62-year-old man put to death last January. He had spent 21 years on death row.

Last month in Mississippi, John B. Nixon, 77, became the oldest person executed in the United States since capital punishment resumed. He did not pursue an appeal based on his age.