In My Humble Opinion

Let's go ahead and make a new thread about this topic. Music is subjective. There is no right or wrong answer about what an individual likes. As I oh so snottily pointed out in another post, opinions are like bungholes, we all have one. Not an original analogy, but it works.

I like NSync. If I were in a room with all of you, I'm sure it would be at this point I would be pelted with rotten tomatoes. But I don't care. I am still a good person - I don't rob old ladies or kick small children - whether you agree with my taste or not. I also like quite a variety of other types of music. If you choose not to like what I like, stay the hell out of my 8-track/cassette/CD collection.

I don't understand why reasonable discussions turn into heated, name-calling smackdowns around here. Simmer, people. Nobody sucks, everybody's cool. Just remember WWJD (What Would John Lennon Do?).

I'm getting verklempt...talk amongst yourselves.

Peace,

Peaches :beatnik:

Personally, I enjoy mature debate. Of course I like others to agree with me but what I believe is that careful consideration of others while speaking one's mind is actually what this world needs more of.

It seems to me that there are mainly two types or sides of people, the people that agree with you and the people that don't. On the average, the people that agree with you become friends while the people that disagree with you become enemies.

I believe this site has shown a third side of mankind. The side which understands that not everyone will agree with them. The side that is not afraid to speak differently from the consensus. The side that realizes that no matter how much we may like or dislike a band or song, that someone, will always disagree.

The side that believes friends can be made by not necessarily agreeing with them but understanding them.

This to me is what proves that there is a God. There's no way that a creator wasn't involved with the beginning of a species so alike yet so far apart in choices and tastes.

The best thing in life, variety, should never be scorned if it doesn't happen to agree with what an individual feels.

I'm like this, the more I dislike, the less I love.

Love is the best possible feeling in the world. Doesn't make much sense to do anything to lessen it.

Understanding, yes, that's it.

But Peachy, you're right on the mark.

On the average, the people that agree with you become friends while the people that disagree with you become enemies.

A few years ago, I got into a heated discussion/debate (at another site) over Boston's debut album and the band U2. Well, it kinda got bad but with no cussing, put-down, etc., but the usual, "I'm right, you're wrong" per se.

Anyway, I don't want to elaborate on who was right/wrong but in the end, Howard and I became really good internet friends. It's a funny world ... after our little fiasco, I could sarcastically rant about U2.

We lost touch a couple years ago but I still respect his writings (he's a great writer and fluid with his story telling).

BTW - it all started when I made a post about 'Essential Albums Everyone Should Own'. Of course it was my opinion and at that time, I listed Boston's debut. And that's how it started ...

Actually, I still enjoy that Boston album ... evokes good memories.

:)

It's no doubt a fantastic album all around.

I would have enjoyed being a spectator in that debate as I'm sure that I would have gotten a kick out of you both trying to prove each other wrong while the whole time each of you were right.

IMO, though, nothing U2 ever did can touch the debut which you were defending.

::

Debate is great.I thought the whole point was to hear other opinions and ideas. That's how you learn. It's nice when someone's opinion concurrs with my own, but if it's a different one, well that just gives me something else to consider. I may still believe my opinion is right, but it's nice to treat other's at least with respect. And that's just MHO!

Personally I think we should keep the so and so SUCKS comments to ourselves. If you don't like a band, fine, but don't make other people feel stupid for liking what they like. Now that I have self-righteously said that, the only person this opinion doesn't apply to is Avril Levign. I WILL make the world hate her. I am that powerful.

Peaches, were you reading my mind? I actually thought about creating a thread like this that should be bookmarked and referred to everytime says that song sucks, or expresses an opinion that is an expression of complete lack of EMPATHY. Good god, everyone has their own opinion, just respect it, and keep your personal opinions about others taste in music to yourself!

I'm afraid John may have joined in with the tomotoe pelters when he heard what you said about nsync (no offense - some of my daughters best friends were nsync fans when they were 13) - but seriously - VIVE LA DIFERRENCE - Variety is the spice of life - and dozens of other cliches if I could think of them....I don't think any of my closest friends agree with me about very many things - they all think I'm too liberal, too quick to judgement or just too damn difficult. I love a good argument and I'll listen to anything once to give it a chance. I think people who say they don't like pop or they don't like country or rap or whatever- people who don't open themselves up to the whole range of artistic expression are missing out on alot of really good stuff.

I like NSync. If I were in a room with all of you, I'm sure it would be at this point I would be pelted with rotten tomatoes.

"Do we look like the kind of store that would have Nsync? Go to the mall!"

I would never throw rotten tomatos at a fan of Jack Black. Now if you were standing next to Nsync and I had a sniper rifle... It would be a crime of passion, and I would probably get off. It would make me sad if you were hit in the crossfire. My actions would be for the greater good. Several members of this site might even contribute to my legal defense fund. You should be safe listening to them, but I wouldn't attend an autograph signing or anything involving a large crowd. Too easy to blend in with a crowd.

All said in fun :)

Unfortunately, the musical tastes for which I have previously claimed (not only including the good, but also the bad and the ugly) are all my own.

In thirty minutes of any random day, you would find me singing along to Westlife, Bon Jovi, The Beach Boys, Emmylou Harris and Gram Parsons, early material by defunct pop band A1 (including their zapped up remix of Everytime), and anything else you care to listen to before my voice gives out.

In fact, I heard someone suggest this the other day on a music forum, and have never agreed more with anything - on the fact that music in itself is not meritocratic, and the only meritocracy is among those who are too bothered in forcing their opinions on others, through not reasoned debate, but non-resistable force.

My musical education began in 1991, when, at the age of 5, I was introduced to The Beatles. (Actually, I don't think that's quite true, but that's the first I remember of any music being played to me continuously). It was one of Mother's favourites, probably Judy Collins, another one of those very first tracks I remember listening to. I don't remember thinking anything of it back then, except that that really was my initiation into music as I remembered it, and that I couldn't have had many better initiations than that.

In September, I'm going to be joining a Higher level Music Production course in Worcester, England (for anyone who is interested, I think it's an HNC - which, though it won't give me letters after my name, will at least bestow upon me bragging rights - and, I believe, at least the educational subject background to be able to teach it at a basic level).

Most of the people who are going to be attending this course (I was going to use the word "guys", but, though it's true that most of them are male, some of them are not, and it would be unfair of me to lump others in with that generalization), are going to be scientists, physicists and the like, and the tasks we have to achieve before the end of the year include a full blown performance and production of a favourite track.

My dad put the point to me that he wonders how I'm going to produce a particular track which I decide to write, and though I'm pretty sure which track I'm going to use to write, rewrite, produce, record, etc onto compact disc. Even I don't know yet, but whether I will do so in the same way as so many of those writers, producers whom I admire, will be an interesting experiment.

I have grown up knowing and loving quite a lot of music, and, if I'm honest, yes, this includes stuff like N*Sync (of whom I still appear to own several CDs by..!) and a load of other stuff which I wouldn't admit like The Beach Boys and Poco.

To pick up on another point you made, I don't think it's so much around here that people accuse others of smacking us down for our differing opinions. If anything, this is probably the most civilized and intelligent music forum to which I participate (and yes, I know I bring it down by about 300%, but I'm prepared to admit that that's more my fault than yours.) Even some of the most strictly moderated forums I go to (where people are surprisingly more civil to each other) can't compete with the level of alertness that sometimes I have to applicate myself with while posting here.

This is a double edged sword, though, in that when something does step over the rules, it may or may not be dealt with harsher than in other places. Personally I'm not sure of this, as I don't actually know whether it's even happened yet within these surroundings, and in this friendly ethos.

I often come along to this place when I'm feeling down. A lot of other message boards have given me the sense of knowing someone as a friend, but this messageboard is the only place in which all the regulars feel like one massive family stretched over 16 thousand miles.

All debate is about, is learning other people's thoughts and feelings. Nothing about disagreeing with them, however badly we feel about them, the only thing that a single person can offer to a debate is to say "this is how I feel, that's how you feel, we disagree, but I understand your point of view". That's the only thing that a debate is based around. Though some will have their opinions changed, those who know enough about their subject will hold steadfastly to their own view.

(Apologies if the above statement is too bold and controversial!)

Unfortunately, the musical tastes for which I have previously claimed (not only including the good, but also the bad and the ugly) are all my own.

:bow:

Bobo, there is a new forum at Songfacts, anticipating an entry by you. I believe it will be a staple of what to expect there in regards to lucid writings.

See you there, I hope.

This is going to be hard to get by on many occasions.

I'm not writing at the moment. The inspiration is becoming harder and harder to come by.

Unfortunately, at the moment, I'm suffering from rather bad writers block. There's so many things I wanna write, but so few ways in which I'm being inspired. That and I keep losing my song writing folders... which can never be a good thing when it comes to writing these songs.. I know I've got them on disc somewhere, but I've no idea where.

It's kinda stupid really that I lost them in the first place, though.. however, I'll pick them up when I'm in college (for the last time) next month..

Here's hoping I'll be able to find them... I'll get back to ya.

Love and mercy

Bobo, there is a new forum at Songfacts, anticipating an entry by you. I believe it will be a staple of what to expect there in regards to lucid writings.

See you there, I hope.

I was just visiting another site where they have discussion forums and some people there were pretty nasty. It seems a lot more civil here.

I see no point in going on a topic about a band or artist you don't like and saying "so and so SUX". Are you 5? I tend to spend time discussing what I do like or learning about what I don't know.

Everyone has music they like for no other reason than it's fun or makes them feel good. Pop music is meant for that and there's nothing wrong with liking it.

That being said, I really liked "Everybody" by the Backstreet Boys when it came out...I would probably still sing along if it came on the radio. :googly:

• 3 months later...