Songs of Nostalgia

PSYCHOcatholic

"Dirty old men" ?

You cad, Darryl....

Expressing appreciation of the female form without grunts, swearing or demeaning references to body parts does not qualify one for dirty old man status surely? Rather it shows our sensitive side and true English refinery methinks....

Regards

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in my mid-teens, once my brother had passed his driving test, I started travelling regularly with him to the home matches of our favourite football team, Leeds United. We made this journey so many times, and it normally meant listening to his tape collection, (especially anything he'd bought recently), that certain albums have become synonymous in my mind with a particular stretch of the M62 motorway. I can't pass Eggborough Power Station in a westerly direction without hearing The Skids' "Circus Games" (from "The Absolute Game"). Similarly, I would be surprised to reach FerryBridge Services without reminiscing upon Siouxsie and The Banshees "Kaleidoscope" album.

(Also synonymous with this journey, The Jam's "Setting Sons" and "Sound Affects", and Talking Heads "Remain in Light", but to a lesser extent. Probably because these are albums I've also listened to frequently in different circumstances and environments)

Interestingly (perhaps only to me), this only works on the Westbound carriageway; going home on the East-bound, we would always be listening to "Sports Report" for the match reports, so I don't equate that journey with these albums at all...

But West-bound, Eggborough, the stereo effect in the intro to "Circus Games"... aaah, happy memories...

Not sure why you're getting props from DasLied for this?? It's so much the obvious question that I'm kinda disappointed it even needed to be asked, (especially by you, johnny, normally so shrewd and quick on the uptake). I phrased this deliberately in such a way that it could be interpreted literally or metaphorically with equal validity*. I toyed with adding "if you get my drift", but (like the words "geddit?" after a gag) this would inevitably be to the detriment of humour...

I gave him "props" because I thought it was funny; I didn't catch the "obvious" nature of your original post. In the future I will consult you before laughing. :)

Steady on Das. Don't be too hard on yourself: you weren't the only one that didn't get the joke first time around- there was johnnyguitar, and several others who had to work hard and read it more than just the once before the penny dropped. I blame myself, I was obviously far too subtle.

So I over-reacted, but y'know... I make a clever innuendo and get next to diddly-squat, johnnyguitar gets an "Oh, you're sooooooo funny" for almost, nearly (but not quite)getting it!! Yes, johnnyguitar, my arch-rival, the ORIGINAL "insufferable smartarse" (Oh yes, I may have thought I was the first, but you can bet your ruddy life that mrjohnnyeffingguitar was there before me) YOU CAN UNDERSTAND MY FRUSTRATION, CAN'T YOU???

(straightens tie, leaves the room twitching)

I wouldn't even know where to look for "Announcements", tbh. Still a "noob" as far as navigating round the site goes! So I'm not sure what you mean when you say you set up a happy birthday thread specially...'you mean there's a thread somewhere, set up by you, dedicated to "Birthday messages"?

Of course, Foxy, you too are quite welcome to give me a Birthday kiss right here, (if you want to) ;)

any 90s britpop, like oasis, blur, pulp, suede takes me back to my teenage years. I love watching tv programs dedicated to britpop, make me feel very very nostalgic

"One step beyond" by madness reminds me of summer 2000, summer I finished school. My friends and I went on holiday to a greek island, and noticed a cute guy with dreadlocks,a nd his friend who looked like jarvis cocker. We used to go to a nightclub that played it alot, and rasta-guy always danced to it. My friend quite fancied him, until we actually talked to him and realised he was a bit of a retard. SO the song reminds us of a great summer, full of crushes, and this rasta-guy in particular. :)

any 90s britpop, like oasis, blur, pulp, suede takes me back to my teenage years. I love watching tv programs dedicated to britpop, make me feel very very nostalgic

Same here, although I didn't take to all of it, it certainly imprinted a memory, and it all reminds me of weekends spent with friends, shopping trips and ice skating, a few beach parties and alcohol-induced sickness. Fond memories!

Norman Greenbuam's Spirit in the Sky and Brook Benton's Rainy Night In Georgia take me back to 1970 when I was on a Geology field trip with my Marshall University geology class to Georgia. We came back home, Huntington, West Virginia, on an Easter weekend, and we had about 6 inches of snow on the ground.

1971 George Harrison's What is Life? I passed by draft physical.

1972 Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion and A Horse With No Name by America. Basic training Fort Dix New Jersey.

Like a Rock by Bob Seager. Those words were read as an eulogy at my father's funeral. He told my mother one time that those words reminded him of his own life.

rtstuff

Marshall University, 1971

• 3 weeks later...

UK citizens of a certain age may remember a tragic event which became known as "The Flixborough Disaster". Near the village of Flixborough, South Humberside, which was about 20 miles from where I grew up, there was a chemical plant.

I must have been about 9 or 10 years old when the Sunday afternoon TV schedule was interrupted by a newsflash that there had been an explosion at Flixborough chemical plant, claiming many lives. We went outside and could see the acrid black smoke from the explosion: in time some of it drifted over our village.

My eldest brother seemed to be more stunned by this news than the rest of us. He explained that one of his best friends, who lived only a couple of miles from Flixborough in a neighbouring village, had a weekend job at the plant and was on shift that day.

My brother retreated to his bedroom (next-door to mine) and proceeded to play "Judy Teen" by Cockney Rebel, very loudly, over and over again. I'm not sure why he chose that song, but to this day, I can't make it through a news report on a chemical plant disaster without thinking of Judy Teen.

(Peculiar how all my "songs of nostalgia" seem to be sibling-related. Must mention this to my therapist: I'm sure she'll be interested. Maybe there are "unresolved issues"....)

I think it was 28 lives that were claimed by the Flixborough plant explosion. My brother's friend wasn't one of them. It turned out that he'd been sent home a little while before the explosion, due to a malfunction of the machine on which he had been working. We didn't find this out until the following day.

For anyone that grew up in the 90s, I know for me and my friends atleast, "The Way" By Fastball was a classic. Although almost no one I know knew who made the song, they all recognize it instantly. It always gives me this deep chill, reminding me of being a child, but nothing specific of my childhood. I guess that's what happens when you're not even a teen yet when the song came out.