Songs of Nostalgia

PSYCHOcatholic

What songs bring back certain memories?

Like...those Pink Floyd songs that bring back memories of illegal smoke...

Love songs that bring back memories of dancing with your first love at prom!

And the prom theme was always Stairway to Heaven!

I remember a church trip we took one time...and we were on our way back from the Georgia Dome to the Hotel in a charter...and we needed to sing a song everybody knew the words too...so we all picked Bohemian Rhapsody! That song brings back that memory every time now!

and Back at One by Brian McKnight brings back memories of my first homecoming!

Anybody feeling a little nostalgia comin on?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the prom theme was always Stairway to Heaven!

PC...I don't recall hearing Stairway at my prom. When I graduated Led Zep was probably the most popular band out there.

There are many songs that when I hear them today they will take me back to a moment in my past. I can give a couple of examples.

Everybody Plays The Fool - Main Ingredient : When I hear this song it reminds me of the sickest I ever was. I was about 11 years old and during August I had a fever of about 104. Our neighbor upstairs played that song over and over. I had to ask my mom to go up there and tell her to stop it because my head was pounding.

Baby I'm For Real - The Originals : A girl named Lorraine. I was so in love with her back then. 'Nuff said.

You know, I hesitate to mention this, lest it should be suggested that I am obsessed by matters sexual, or I should fall foul of the "taste police", but what the heck, it seems pertinent to the thread...I'll just have to try to be as delicate as I can...

Once upon a time, about twenty years ago, I spent a couple of months lodging with* my brother and sister-in-law. (* or "spongeing off", depending on whose point of view one is inclined to believe) Their town-centre terraced house was pleasant, tho' rather small: I guess my presence was something of an imposition on them.

One fine saturday morning, brother and sis-in-law were out and I was making myself at home, mooching around, listening (somewhat disdainfully) to my brother's records, when I put on an album by Til Tuesday, which was actually pretty good. Just then, my girlfriend called round to say "Hi!". She had cycled over and was"glowing".

Well, I don't recall exactly how things unfolded from there, but To Cut A Long Story Short (I lorst my mind!) but "one thing led to another"- I do remember they had a lovely furry rug on the hearth in their comfy little lounge- and then "the inevitable happened" and I'm in up to the apricots.

Now I don't know whether it was the location, the musical accompaniment, the rug, the risk of relations returning at any moment or being seen by passers-by through the open curtains, but it all added up to "a memorable one". When the A side was done, we flipped over and played the B-side.... :crazy:

I later mentioned to my brother that I quite liked the Til Tuesday LP, and he taped it for me. Whenever I listen to it now, (as I do from time to time), I still get a "rosy glow" (strangely absent when I listen to the Suzanne Vega he put on the other side)

I've still never told my brother any of this. :blush:

BF, you are a man after my own heart. Rattling one's onions with the excitement of being caught was always a feature of my young love-life too. I remember doing the do to Betty Boo in a girlfriend's bedroom once, whilst the parents were watching telly downstairs. The old man came upstairs as I was onto the vinegar strokes and knocked on the door, asking "are you kids alright in there? You've gone awfully quiet!", to which a strained "yes Dad, we are trying on shoes" came the reply. It was a load of cobblers of course, but I can't think of Ms Boo without imagining her dad walking downstairs wondering why we were trying on shoes whilst shagging!

Regards

BF I had no idea I liked 'Til Tuesday, til now

The second album's the one to shag to (IMHO)...first album a tad too 'late 80's syndrum programmer type rock'...second album 'Everything's Different Now' is sublime acoustic/rock with Aimee playing 'tenor guitar' (a very odd, but interesting instrument)...third album has its moments (Wrong End of the Telescope with Elvis Costello)...

...obviously Aimee Mann went on to greater fame, but, never greater music than 'Everything's Different Now' which is tops...she wrote it with a broken heart....makes all the difference. Jeez, I wish someone would break mine. :puppyeyes:

Do you mean this literally or metaphorically?

:laughing: :laughing:

Not sure why you're getting props from DasLied for this?? It's so much the obvious question that I'm kinda disappointed it even needed to be asked, (especially by you, johnny, normally so shrewd and quick on the uptake). I phrased this deliberately in such a way that it could be interpreted literally or metaphorically with equal validity*. I toyed with adding "if you get my drift", but (like the words "geddit?" after a gag) this would inevitably be to the detriment of humour...

*Actually, whilst I don't specifically recall interrupting coitus to turn the record over, my memory serves me somewhat better in the other regard.

However, Mr guitar, where you do merit "congratulation" is your remarkable ability to subtly ratchet up the "Oneupmanship Quotient" to hitherto unimaginable heights of absurdity. What 'm I on about?

Regular readers may have noticed how chippy I was last week about Mr guitar's irritating habit of (repeatedly)deprecating my posts on other threads ("Songs that make me happy", "Great vocal intros", etc) and suggesting better alternatives. I'm over that now.

But Lordy, Lordy, I thought I might be able to recount a vaguely entertaining nostalgic anecdote about a carnal encounter to a "Til Tuesday" soundtrack without Mr Guitar responding with his opinion on "the best Til Tuesday shagging album". I worry about you, johnny, I really do.

Still, when I posted I wasn't sure anyone here would even have heard of Til Tuesday, so it's nice that I seem to have inadvertantly sparked off a modest TT revival...

On the subject of Betty Boo (nee Alison Clarkson) I think what Diggs was saying was that even the ponciest of shandy-sipping southerners might pitch a trouser tent at the thought of Doin the Do with Ms Boo, whether A side, B side or 12" extended mix. And I for one would concur. IMHO, sultry pouting, bold Ms Boo has been (by some distance) "the Foxiest Chick in the Charts" post-Debbie Harry, her only serious challenger being Clare Grogan of Altered Images (a different kettle of fish altogether, mind you)

Splendid anecdote Diggs, cheers. :thumbsup:

BF, I've always been a fan of dry humour, and I have to say you're among the best I've read! I love that it takes me twice to read one of your posts, and I have to really concentrate, but the rewards upon the lightbulb going off above my skull are always worth it. :grin:

IMHO, sultry pouting, bold Ms Boo has been (by some distance) "the Foxiest Chick in the Charts" post-Debbie Harry, her only serious challenger being Clare Grogan of Altered Images (a different kettle of fish altogether, mind you)

No way...do you want want to know who the foxiest chick post Debbie Harry really is..............:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wow so many of my memories are connected to songs, like Bohemian Rhapsody reminds me of drama camp, and My Love Don't Cost A Thing reminds me of form 2, and my friend who had this crush on this guy who used to joke he lived in a cardboard box, so we'd always say it was their song.

I can stand some pretty awful songs, just because of the memories connected to them, and I can roughly work out when songs came out because of my memories connected to them.