Kazaa and P2P stuff

Squire

I can't imagine these types of programs going away, because there's really nothing illegal about providing a means to share information. When all the legislation fails to destroy Kazaa, I wouldn't be surprised if the record companies start putting files up that damage computers when they are downloaded. This would result in some weird lawsuits, but I know at least one senator thinks it is a good idea. Hopefully, it won't come to this.

Carl

I read last week where the RIAA was going to start searching the internet for sites that offer MP3's for download and start taking legal action against them.

That's true, IM. It would be more than a full-time job tracking these sites and taking legal action against them or at least sending them emails threatening to do so. I believe it's really more of a bluff to try and decrease the number of sites. I'm sure sites will come and go, but they will always be there.

• 1 year later...

I will always miss Napster. Kazaa was the only thing that came close to its greatness, but it sort of sucks now. The one I use (or used until my dad disallowed it because he was claiming it installed spyware on our computer that was already there) is Ares. It is pretty nice. They have a lot of songs on there, and it is well organized. I would reccomend to anyone looking for a new shareware program.