ray charles song - what is the name of it?

Laurie

I saw on 20/20 many years ago a story about Ray Charles. He was performing at a concert and the song he was singing was beautiful but I never heard of it before. All I remember was that it was a sad song about his mother and how he loved her so much. I sure hope someone out there knows what song this is. Email me in case I can't find my way back to this site. Thank you so much.

The song you are referring to is "Goin' Down Slow".

I've had my fun If I don't get well no more I've had my fun, people, If I don't get well no more My health is fallin' on me Yes, and I'm going down slow I want you to write my mother and tell her the shape I'm in Oh please write my mother, tell her the shape I'm in I want you tell her to pray for me, people Well, to forgive for my sins On that next train South, mother You can look for my clothes on On that next train South, mother You can look for my clothes on Yes, I had my fun, mother, this is all in prayers Yes, I had my fun, people, mother, this is all in prayers Yes, if you don't see this old body, mother You know I'm gone out of this world somewhere.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your post. I am not sure if it is Goin Down Slow, as I only heard it once on that show I mentioned, and heard only a few words. I do remember him saying "Mama" several times. Are you sure this might be it? Are you a fan of Ray Charles? It's really awful he has died, I loved alot of his music, he was truly gifted.

Anyway, tell me why you think this might be the song, did you see the show I am speaking of or are you simply familiar with all of his music?

Thank you.