List 19

Batman

You bring up a good point, Soulgirl. It's not really about what gets the front page. I think that a well written review that doesn't get on the front page will influence more people into buying the album than an album with no review or a too brief review that does make it to the front page. It's not as if people see a link to an album and think "I have to have that album!"

I also agree that there is room for classics and new and hip on the list.

Just so you know, the poll is closing on the 30th, and that's when I'll update the list.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: Jeff Buckley, is all his stuff like Hallelujah? I know it's not his song, and I absolutely love it even though I find it so beautifully sad.

I guess I mean I can not imagine him having anything happy and uptempo (not necessarily a bad thing), especially knowing of this song and then that he has an album called "My Sweetheart The Drunk."

There are a few songs on the album "Grace" that are slow and sad like "Hallelujah", but nothing just like it. "Corpus Christi Carol" is probably the most gorgeous song on there; it's based on a Benjamin Britten piece, and Jeff is essentially singing a part written for a boys choir. "Lover, You Should've Come Over" is a beautiful ballad with an amazing climax. "Lilac Wine" is a great cover of a Nina Simone ballad.

He has a few uptempo songs on there, like "Grace", "Last Goodbye" and "Eternal Life". The rest are somewhere in the middle - "Mojo Pin", "Dream Brother", "So Real".

As far as something similar to "Hallelujah", with just one guitar and vocals, you'll have to look at some of the live stuff, like the "Live At Sin-e" set. Or check out the aforementioned "My Sweetheart The Drunk", which has the song "Satisfied Mind" that her did solo for a radio station. "Opened Once" and "Morning Theft" are a couple of other good ballads on that disc.

I would start with "Grace" and "Live At Sin-e". The live disc is basically how he got signed; he would play shows at this tiny place, pretty much doing whatever he wanted. Record executives just started gathering, and the rest is history...

jeff has a number of uptempo songs as das has already said but they mostly deal with quite sad or bitter themes. a lot of people love 'hallelujah' but never take the trouble to listen to anymore of his stuff. those people are missing out. if you love his voice and his treatment of songs then you should listen to more of his work.

Going ahead and posting this, mostly to get rid of the extra sticky:

• Incubus ~ Morning View
  • Jeff Buckley ~ Sketches (for my Sweetheart, the Drunk) Possibly the coolest album name ever :grin:
  • The Ramones ~ It's Alive
  • Air ~ Talkie Walkie
  • Queen ~ Sheer Heart Attack

I've been listening to Jeff Buckley songs recently and it reminds me of the time when I must have been about 12 or so when I first got into the Beatles and I saw A Hard Day's Night for the first time, and I had no idea up until that point about what happened to John Lennon. I mean, I did, but I hadn't known about him and how talented and funny he seemed. And then to be told the guy's no longer around cause of something awful that happened...well, I feel the same way now about Jeff Buckley. Great great songs, and what a horrible shame he's gone.

aw i know. i feel strange for feeling so sad and for actually missing somebody that i never knew. i'm glad that you're discovering his gorgeous work. i have read alot about him and met a number of people who were close to him in his life and by all accounts he was a gorgeous person too. i just wish i could have seen him play and maybe even met him :(