List 19

Batman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a tie, we could do an extra poll, but that seems like it would be overkill. I think in the event of a 6 way tie, me or whoever is doing the list should choose which one to eliminate. Or, if that's too negative, we could choose the five to be picked! That's enough from me now, I'm going to get a glass of water. I think I'll make it half full...or should I make it half empty?

my problem is, and i'm sure it's the same for others too, even if I feel I am suggesting something worth listening, when people haven't heard of it, it has no chance in hell! I suggested grandaddy about 5 times before someone must have felt sorry for me and put it in the list. I suggested mogwai about 3-4 times too, and it got ignored.

Is the point of this to sell records or to tell people about something you love?

The "winners" seem to only have a link to buy the CD from Amazon. The suggestions before the winners are chosen are far more interesting than that, because people are given synopses and opinions. I'm far more inclined to check something out because someone here recommended it than because I can buy it with one click.

It's not a popularity contest, and it shouldn't be about "winning" because something you suggested was picked. I thought this whole topic was about discovery. Everybody who posts on this website does so because they were curious in the first place, and that's why this is such a cool site. People are here because of love for music, and these recommendations are an integral part of this website.

I could care less what actually gets picked, when hearing about something new or unknown is a far greater reward.

One of my points, all along, has been that as Batman said a while ago, the selections were chosen because people showed interest in a particular album because they had heard of the artist or album before...but I thought MoC was all about getting the word out about things people hadn't heard, not how popular something was...

In the poll, I voted for what I hadn't heard of...and normally through the Amazon links, I don't buy it from there because it is the US site, but I read all the reviews linked to the album etc.

And PS, don't try and twist my words by saying 'which would make it a popularity contest', because I have explained my reasons for commenting about the way MoC is chosen being unfair, and shouldn't have to state it more than once. Especially as other people have expressed a 'concern' (if any of us are really truly concerned about this), and this seems to be ridiculous that we are having this conversation yet again, as it is a community that should be capable of making a decision rather than bickering.

If one person is choosing, you may as well scrap the lists, and nominate one moderator to choose their own. You'd have the same outcome at the end of the day, album titles on the front page.

Whatever, see I've gotten involved again and I wasn't going to, I just would like to see suggestions from people like Rachel and Sue, who genuinely do pick out bands/albums not commonly heard, go up on the main page for once. At the moment, we have some pretty famous artists up that have been in the charts and are widely known across the globe. I just don't get it..

As for the last part, Sue hasn't been suggesting much lately, but I think I've picked one from Rachel in every list I've done. I would pick more from her, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do more than one pick from each person per list.

As for the first part, you're right, it's unfair if one mod picks it. But there is no way to deny that inevitably, a poll makes things a popularity contest. Just look, right now the top two are Jeff Buckley and Queen. I fail to see how pointing out this fact is "twisting your words."

I think the most fair thing we can do is try to make a compromise. How about 2 are chosen from the poll, and 3 by the mod? Or 3 from the poll, and 2 by the mod? That's as fair as it's going to get, I'm afraid.

i don't really mind how they're picked! i think the point is to just have a list of five albums that someone has never heard of or hasn't thought of in a long time up there on the main page! and many of the site users are young people who might not be aware of the classic albums, while some of our *ahem* older users may not be up to date with what's hip and withit! :P i automatically voted for my jeffrey without thinking - apologies! i don't mind if it gets on the list - i've written the review anyway and people can take it or leave it! i'm happy enough with a mod or two to do the choosing.... whatever! (do you get it? i'm easy.... going going!)