Christmas Movies!

PSYCHOcatholic

I copied and pasted this list from another thread.

A Christmas Story - Because it's the greatest movie ever, that's why. The reasons are to numerous to list. I love everything between the opening credits and the closing credits.

Scrooged - Bill Murray kills me in this. The scenes with him and Carol Kane are pure genius. And I cry every single time sweet little Calvin says "You forgot God bless us everyone."

It's a Wonderful Life - One word: Clarence!

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon not movie] - Dr. Suess is the bomb and Boris Karloff has the most wonderfully gruff voice. I dig the song, too. "I wouldn't touch you with a 39 and a half foot pole".

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - "She thinks I'm cuuuute!". When I was a kid, I felt like I belonged on the Island of Misfit Toys. And I totally loved Hermey the gay dentist.

Meet Me in St. Louis - Judy Garland + the sweetest, saddest rendition of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" = cinematic genius. I also love "The Trolley Song".

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - God help me, but I just love Chevy Chase.

Die Hard - Yippee kiyay, mother f***ing Santa!

A Christmas Carol (the Alistair Sim version) - there have been many great portrayals of Scrooge over the years (Reginald Owen & George C. Scott), but nobody brings the character of Ebenezer Scrooge to life like Alistair Sim. I'm sure Dickens himself would have approved. It's also interesting to see a very young Patrick Macnee (John Steed) in a bit part.

White Christmas - despite a predictable and somewhat maudlin story, I love the music and the onscreen chemistry between Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen. Jane Withers is also excellent in a small roll as the general's housekeeper. The song "Sisters" as performed by Danny and Bing is one of my favourite movie moments. This movie is far superior to an earlier version (Holiday Inn) starring Crosby and Fred Astaire.

A Charlie Brown Christmas - a warm, funny and irresistibly charming show that celebrates the true meaning of Christmas.

AND WHILE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT, MERRY CHRISTMAS SONGFACTORS!!!! I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY!

It's the reason I bought a DVD player, because there wasn't a Laserdisk version: "It's A Wonderful Life" (1947)

Followed closely by:

"Stalag 17" (1953)

"Snow Falling on Cedars" (1999)

"Cinema Paradiso" (1988)

"The Iron Giant" (1999)

"Life of Brian" (1979)

and "The Wizard of Oz" (1939)

While some of these movies aren't specifically about Christmas like, say, "A Midnight Clear," these are more like "Holiday Inn," about the many ways people act in altruistic ways when the situation calls for it. :afro:

• 2 weeks later...

One I forgot to mention in my earlier post, is The Bishop's Wife (the one with Cary Grant and David Niven not the horrible remake with Whitney Houston).

In this movie, Grant plays Dudley, an angel who is sent to earth to help the faltering marriage of a young minister (Niven) who is struggling to raise funds for a new cathedral. However, the angel has a mind of his own and trouble ensues when the minister's wife (Loretta Young) begins to develop feelings for Dudley.

A wonderful film, with great performances by the principals.

A Charlie Brown Christmas - The kids dancing and the scrawny Christmas tree.

Scrooged - Bill Murray and his sarcasm save this movie from being a sappy remake.

It's a Wonderful Life - I would have fallen for George Bailey, too. And where else can you find a kid named ZuZu?