Could You Be a Hippie?

flowerchild67

Being from the generation where hippies were in the spotlight so to speak I am one. I lived the lifestyle of one and have the ideals of the hippie generation. People looked at us like we were terrible people or poor trash. But that is not true, you don't have to be poor to be a hippie. It is not the way you dress, behavior, economic status, or social milieu. It is how one approaches life....beliveing in freedom, peace, love, respection others and of course the earth. Hippies haven't died, they are still here and always have been over the years. Some may even put Jesus in there, since he was a man of peace, not using violence to solve a situation. I think we all have some hippie in us. And I am not saying everyone should be a hippie, just that we all can practice peace and love and respect more in our daily lives.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was posh and bold at the same time and did things hippies did, like dope, music, clothes, love and few others. Most of my friends were "enfants terribles" so it was easy, being rich and handsome and trendy, to behave like this, but half of them ended up ruling their parent´s business and now live all around the world and are millionnaires. They look at that period of our lives like the most cool and beautiful. We still keep our ideals but none of us were able to share the house with other people than husband, wife and kids. And I always knew I would have to behave like a square many times in order to earn money and be able to live confortably, most like a bourgeois than a hippy.

I also could easily be a hippie....I'm the right age. I actually was one after a fashion, but more of a redneck hippie(reconcile that!). In the Midwest, while we liked the idea, we were too countrified, to be true hippies. We liked our beer, pickups, and shotguns too much to be true hippies!!! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Read about this today. If you live in Arkansas you might wanna check it out. Nikki Davis said she is an old hippie and that is what she calls her antique shop, Old Hippy. It is in Searcy, Ark., near Little Rock. She said she still believes in the hippie ideals of love, peace, and brotherhood. She sells classic juke boxes to vintage lunch boxes. Sounds like a cool and groovy shop. I just love the name!! Bet she will do great with hippie being cool again, as if it should not have been cool all these years.

:beatnik:

But don't you think that what hippies believed in makes one a hippie or a wanna-be? They were very free and wanted peace for everyone. The thought of not bathing, well, can't go there, but my friends and I shared clothes all the time in high school...as for sharing lovers...well that seems to be not just for hippies :blush: They believed in a world that was good, nothing wrong with that, we all need a little of that for sure.

I imagine that detecter would be shaped like a peace symbol???

:coolio:

Yes, and it would most likely play "All You Need Is Love" when I was anywhere in its vicinity.

Seriously folks, I'm one crunchy mama. I wear Nicholas in an assortment of baby carriers (wraps are our favorite), we cloth diaper (they've come a long way baby), co-sleep, breastfeed and practice just about any kind of attachment parenting you can think of. The next babe I'll likely have at home, or at least have a midwife.

:grin: