Joy Division/New Order

EagleEye0

The most honest music I have ever listened to.

I have three of their albums:

Substance

Unknown Pleasures

Closer

What do people think about this band and the aforementioned albums?

Personally, I love Unknown Pleasures, its probably my favorite studio album by this short-lived post punk rock and roll outfit.

Joy Division Rocks.

Brainblast: Joy Division was a group of attractive jewish women assmebled together for a Nazi officers enjoyment during WWII. The German officer would select a handful of attractive Jewish women and the group of women was labelled "Joy Division."

Any New Order fans?

New Order albums I have:

Power, Corru[ption and Lies

Technique

Low-Life

My favorite is Technique. It has an ethereal quality to it that makes itmore intriguing than their prior efforts. However, I still like Low-Life and PCL. New Order Rocks

I listened a lot to both bands in the early 80s because they were very popular and they played a lot, and their music was played in every disco and radio station in Spain (yes, we were very modern twenty five years ago, I´m not joking... that´s one of the reasons I lived here...) I didn´t specially like their music but they were part of the scene. I saw New Order live many times. I also had to work writing about them and making records reviews, interviews, and even a TV show. But I hated their names, I can´t like people who choose nazi names for their bands, sorry, I´m very narrow-minded when it comes to this. And I didn´t agree with that death cult they had, Ian Curtis´suicide and depression and all that, which seemed to be so trendy...

I did like their hit though, "Love will tear us apart"...

I really like joy division, I had "closer" and "unknown pleasures" on tape (one of my best friens from uni made it), and I have "permanent" on cd, but the cd doesn't play anymore because I listened to it too much! so now I just have "substance, 1977-1980" but O keep wonderimg whether I should buy the two i have on tape on cd!

for some odd reason, joy division are my music of choice when I have to write, they seem to inspire a creative flow in me, I have written 2 theses and several essays listening to ian curtis sing!

Never been a big new order fan, I like them but I have never bought a whole album, just have a few tracks here and there is comilations.

• 8 months later...

Wow. I must be getting old. Whenever I read the word "Classic" in terms of Pop music, I think of bands up to Glam Rock and Prog Rock (music up to 1975 or 1976). Pretty much anything from Punk, Post-Punk, New Wave, and all the other subgenres would be "Modern" to me, but I dunno. It's just something I think in my own mind. With that being said, I don't like Joy Division much. I have a couple of compilations (Substance and Permanent) as well as the album Unknown Pleasures and that suffices my Joy Division needs. NewOrder, on the other hand, I own every one of their albums, some compilations, and a couple of singles. Even if they jumped the shark when they released Republic and in spite of the fact they put on bad live performances, I tend to consume as much as they're willing to make. I've talked with other NewOrder fans about what their favourite album is and the majority of them say it's Low-Life (that was the first album I bought and I warped the cassette from too much play, so I had to buy a second copy). Technique would probably be the best introduction to the band for anyone who hasn't heard much from them, aside from the three songs the radio stations play ad nauseam, since a lot of their music is upbeat Dance junk as opposed to Movement (which is my second favourite album of theirs).

I am going to stray away from this topic, in fear of starting another flame-debate regarding Ian Curtis on this site. "Confusion" is an outstanding track by New Order, & recently I heard a DJ live house-mix this during his set, & it sounded phenomenol, even much better than the original. Probably my overall favorite Alternative-Roots band of the 80's.