That thing you do

Mike

Have you seen this movie? What did you think of it?

I grew very annoyed of hearing the title song the third or fourth time and then that started grinding in my brain. Rined the rest of the film for me.

But I know what Tom was trying to do, relay, but I imagine most other people had the same objection to the repetative use of the song.

Eh Pink, it wasnt that bad.

Liv Tyler aint that bad lookin, its always good to see Tom Hanks in movies.

What ruined it was the ending...im sorry, it was terrible! They all ended up being real estate agents!

That Thing You Do is a good song...the first time, i know what you mean by hearing it over and over and over again! Ill give it a 5/10 for a rating!

That Thing You Do wasn't a story of a successful band or meant to be entertainment by way of musical interlude. The single song repetition over and over again; and the ending to real estate obscurity WERE the messages. This movie was an indepth study, obstensibly, of every one-hit-wonder band that ever formed in someone's garage (hence the name The Oneders, or "O-needers" as that stage annoucer says ... funny.) It was the musical repetition and lack of further creativity that ruined the band, while not ruining the movie. The movie flowed in spite of its one-trick theme that could have been exposed in 10 minutes, but instead captured perfectly the flavor of its theme with nuances that only come from experiencing the boredom of having to play the same song to differing audiences. The repetition was the director's (Hank's debut in that capacity) way of inserting the viewer into this lifestyle of motels and uncomfortable travel with no real payoff despite the seeming success.

As for the song itself ...well ...it was ...snappy.