Your Old Lady?

Tybalt

I've heard this song on the radio just a couple of times in the last few years, but I haven't caught the title or artist(s).

The line "Your Old Lady sure looks good to me " early in the song, turns to "Your Old Lady is My Old Lady too" at the end.

The sound and style are different, interesting and kind of hard to describe. I don't know how old it is.

I could be embarrassed by the answers, because I'm pretty sure this is hardly esoteric -- but my web search with these lyric fragments turned up diddley.

maybe an old George Thorogood tune?

or

J.B.Lenoir - Mama What About Your Daughter

recorded '56 , released '69

c31156dkphh.jpg

I can't find a lyrics page, but it kind of starts off as a uptempo Louisiana shuffle

some of the words i can make out:

Mama what about your daughter

she sure looks good to me

Mama what about your daughter

she sure looks good to me

every time she smiles

she just knocks me out

I'm gonna play this number

dedicated to all my girls

I'm gonna play this number

dedicated to all my girls

I'm back in town

let 'em see what I'm puttin' down...

These are probably wild goose chases... ::

Thanks for the effort, bluesboy.

Definitely not J.B. Lenoir. The lyrics are just as I reported them.

Without having the music in my ear, I'd say it has a sing-songy "lowrider ska" feel to it (if such a thing is possible).

It's vaguely like some Santana stuff, but the vocalist is whiny, kind of spacey sounding, as I remember it. Not Thorogood for sure.

It is a pretty cool song. Somebody must like it enough to know what it is.

"Your Old Lady", first recorded by the Isley Brothers in the early 60's.

The Chambers Brothers did a live version in 1965, and Steve Miller recorded it for the film "Revolution" in 1968.

It was later recorded by David Lindley in 1981.

You're a Wizard, MelP! Thanks a zillion.

It was the version by David Lindley & El Rayo-X that I was looking for.

It's funny that I didn't remember Steve Miller's because a friend had the Revolution soundtrack, and we used to listen to it near daily back when I was a bona fide hippy.

It's also funny that the El Rayo-X CD includes Mercury Blues which Steve Miller also did on the Revolution soundtrack*, plus Twist and Shout , another Isleys' tune.

* Music from Revolution is probably pretty hard to find now, but other highlights are the Quicksilver Messenger Service version of Codine (written by Buffy Sainte-Marie) and the title song Revolution by Tracy Nelson & Mother Earth.