Leon Russell and Marc Benno

redtelephone

I was wondering if anyone has heard the alum "The Asylum Choir." I found it in my dad's record collection and I think it's amazing. I know a little bit about Leon, but nothing about Marc, and I can't find anything on him. I love the psychedelic flavor of this album, which is very different from Leon's usual blusey stuff.

this does not answer your question...just a Leon Russell story. In the early 80's my next door neighbor owned a business in which he did sound systems at rock concerts...a nice job.

He said he did a Leon Russell show and it was sad to see the state of Leon's condition. Basically, there was a piano behind a closed curtain. The handlers led Leon to the piano bench and he sat there, almost motionless and slumped over the piano. As soon as the curtains opened, Leon came to life...a true performer. When the show was over and the curtain closed...he slumped back over and was led out by the crew again.

I saw the same thing happen with Johnny Winter in the 80's. It was at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park. Johnny had three big guys almost carry him onto the stage. I doubt that he weighed 110 pounds. As soon as his feet hit the stage, he came to life and played/sang his heart out. When it was over, they picked him up and carted him away.

I don´t know about this record but I know Leon Russell and Marc Benno, a guitar player, formed a duo, The Asylum Choir, and released two albums in the late sixties. The second one was released after the split and I read they´ve been playing together for less than two years.I found many sites in google about the covers but no information about the music.

All the info I can find about Benno is in www.marcbenno.com. But these two records surely must sound good... Hope some connoisseur can help...

Edited by Guest

I have nothing to add but my appreciation that someone is talking about Leon Russell!

A big favorite of mine. I also saw him in St louis at Mississippi NIghts, in the late 80's. As Ron had said, he was in bad shape, but we actually talked to him outside the club and he was a really nice man.