Cyber Christmas Cards

Kevin

I wish I had something clever to say, but I don't, so some sappy, but true heartfelt sentiment will have to do.

" A True Friend Is Someone Who Reaches For Your Hand And Touches Your Heart "

To all my many True Friends here at Songfacts, you have reached my hand, and touched my heart many times over the past year,helped immensly, and I thank you with all my heart!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

'Twas the night before Christmas

When all through Songfacts

Creatures kept stirring

Like Pam's boobs on "Stacked."

Uncle's black socks were strewn

throughout the boards with aplomb

Allowing everyone a souvenir

before the coming dawn.

Old 55 was seated

snug at his desk

having visions of questions

to put to the test...

And me in my parka

And Brad in just his skin

Settled down to find the answers...

but where should we begin?

When out on the boards

there arose such a noise!

We looked up just in time

to see those outlaw SF boys.

Easy Rider on his Harley

Marc riding alongside

holding his precious little girl

his chest puffed up in pride.

As is Kevin's nature

He cast his eye upon the sight

while Psycho's quiet faith

spread like a blanket in the night...

Jr. darted in and out

a-dorking he did go

and Bluesboy spewed more facts about blues

than anyone should know.

Diggs pressed on with class

and gentle fortitude

And Sammy proved he has lungs of steel

"Man, that sh*t was awesome, duuuuude."

Way below the ocean

Ken explored ghost ships

And Das got rid of Mahler

and gave us something without lips.

Batman, on his laptop

began another thread

And S2V revealed to all

how to Brazil he did get led.

While RonJon, pen in hand

reported events until they abated

Carl sat back and admired

all that he'd created.

My eyes met Brad's, astonished -

as behind the SF guys

rode into sight the SF girls -

mostly naughty - mixed with nice.

Levis led the posse

With an IQ too high to count.

Peaches was positioned to lasso

Sammy as her mount.

Babies slept upon the breasts

of CeeCee and of Elvish

They are the world's cutest -

That's just fact, it's not being selfish.

Invisible Rachel's outlines wavered

As she stared at a petri dish,

Sweet-as-ever Soulgirl

was betrunken - or was she pissed?

We loved seeing our Earth Angel

glowing 'neath her halo.

And SF boasts a celebrity -

Jenny used to be JLo!

Katie lives down under

and I wonder - is it a lie?

That the water in Australian toilets

flushes down clock-wise?

Foxy speaks her mind

and that's to be admired...

Mags works with Peaches...

that must make her tired. :grin:

Henry David Thoreau

by a pond she lives

I wonder if Zonker visits

from his own puddle, bringing gifts?

In the midst of the crowd rode the queen of it all:

more languages - and posts - than the rest

Is it magic? or a birth defect?

No matter - Edna is just the best!

As Brad and I stared

into the monitor at the story

The games thread filled with answers...

But is it Shawna? Or is it Laurie?

Then Brad spoke not a word,

but went straight to his work;

turned off the computer

and... well, you all aren't old enough to hear the rest. :googly:

But I heard him exclaim

as he turned off the switch

and dragged me to bed,

"Me Tarzan. You my b*tch."

Some really creative poetry, folks. Though more important are the actual feelings of caring that have been shared here in verse and in sentiment. This is the real strength of the internet ... drawing divergent lives together through the sincere offerings of fun, friendship and feeling of family.

This site is one of only 5 (2 others being photography related and 2 devoted to poetry) that I have consistently maintained a presence upon for over 18 months. I have gotten to know many of you through either direct contact or the flavors of your posts. Music is certainly of interest to me .... but ... the lives and personalities of the members here are an infinitely greater investment of my time.

Thank you all for a very wonderful 2005 through your humor, informative threads and thoughtful support of my efforts and those of the other Songfactors. A year from now, I hope 2006 can be said to have been a blessing to each and every one of you.

In all sincerity. Ron Beam

A Little Christmas Trivia

The idea for using electric Christmas lights came from an American named Ralph E. Morris in 1895. The new lights proved safer than the traditional candles, which often started fires by falling in the dry Christmas trees.

The use of a Christmas wreath as a decoration on your front door, mantel or bay window symbolizes a sign of welcome and long life to all who enter.

Today poinsettias are the most popular Christmas plant and are the number one flowering potted plant in the United States. The poinsettia, a traditional Christmas flower, originally grew in Mexico, where it is also known as the 'Flower of the Holy Night'. Joel Poinsett first brought it to America in 1829.

The first printed reference to Christmas trees appeared in Germany in 1531. Real Christmas trees are an all-American product, grown in all 50 states, including Alaska and Hawaii. California, Oregon, Michigan, Washington, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and North Carolina are the top Christmas tree producing states. Oregon is the leading producer of Christmas trees - 8.6 million in 1998.

Christmas trees are edible. Many parts of pines, spruces, and firs can be eaten. The needles are a good source of vitamin C. Pine nuts, or pine cones, are also a good source of nutrition.

The best selling Christmas trees are Scotch pine, Douglas fir, Noble fir, Fraser fir, Virginia pine, Balsam fir and white pine.

For every real Christmas tree harvested, 2 to 3 seedlings are planted in its place. Each hectare provides the daily oxygen requirements of 45 people.

Artificial Christmas trees have outsold real ones since 1991.

Candy canes began as straight white sticks of sugar candy used to decorated the Christmas trees. A choirmaster at Cologne Cathedral decided have the ends bent to depict a shepherd's crook and he would pass them out to the children to keep them quiet during the services. It wasn't until about the 20th century that candy canes acquired their red stripes. During the Christmas/Hanukkah season, more than 1.76 billion candy canes are made.

The tradition of gifts seems to have started with the gifts that the wise men (the Magi) brought to Jesus. As recounted in the Bible's book of Matthew, "On coming to the house they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshipped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh."

Snow globes are collected by many and are available with thousands of different scenes.

Due to the time zones, Santa has 31 hours to deliver gifts? This means that he would have to visit 832 homes each second!

In 1937, the first postage stamp to commemorate Christmas was issued in Austria.

St. Francis of Assisi introduced Christmas Carols to formal church services. Christmas caroling began as an old English custom called Wassailing - toasting neighbors to a long and healthy life. The word carol is derived from the old French word caroler which derives from the Latin choraula. This itself was derived from the Greek choraules.

A traditional Christmas dinner in early England was the head of a pig prepared with mustard. But who said the English know good food?

After "A Christmas Carol," Charles Dickens wrote several other Christmas stories, one each year, but none was as successful as the original. The four ghosts in Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol" were the ghosts of Christmas Past, Christmas Present, Christmas Yet to Come, and the ghost of Jacob Marley (former partner of Scrooge).

The first Christmas card was created in England on December 9, 1842. Hallmark introduced its first Christmas cards in 1915, five years after the founding of the company. An average household in America will mail out 28 Christmas cards each year and see 28 eight cards return in their place. More than three billion Christmas cards are sent annually in the United States. In America in 1822, the postmaster of Washington, DC, complained that he had to add 16 mailmen at Christmas to deal with cards alone. He wanted the number of cards a person could send limited by law. "I don't know what we'll do if this keeps on," he wrote.

Santa is known throughout the world, by various names; Santa Claus, Father Christmas, Kris Kringle, Saint Nicholas, Sinterklaas, St. Nick, and Pere Noel. On Christmas Eve, countless children all over the world lie in their beds while "visions of sugarplums dance in their heads." When they awake they will excitedly check to see if Santa Claus has come to bring them gifts. One town in Indiana is called Santa Claus. There is also a Santa, Idaho.

The snowman is a fun way for children to play in the snow. Made from large snowballs and accessories for decorating - a carrot for a nose, buttons for eyes and sticks for arms.

In 1947, Toys for Tots started making the holidays a little happier for children by organizing its first Christmas toy drive for needy youngsters.

Santa's reindeer are named Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen. Oh - and of course, Rudolph.

The Christmas season begins at sundown on 24th December and lasts through sundown on 5th January. For that reason, this season is also known as the Twelve Days of Christmas.

All modern references of Santa coming down the chimney can be traced to the famous poem 'The Night Before Christmas' written in 1822 by the Clement Moore. In it he describes 'And then in a twinkling I heard on the roof, the prancing and pawing of each little hoof. As I drew in my head and was turning around, down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.'

In North America children put stockings out at Christmas time. Their Dutch counterparts use shoes.

The Santa Claus' suit was developed in the 1930s. The Coca-Cola Company hired American artist Haddon Sundblom in 1931, to redesign Santa Claus. Sundblom chose the official colors of Coca-Cola, red and white.

Check this out while you're at it:

Christmas Gullibility Test

Interestingly, in tropical climates and southern hemisphere nations, Santa wears a red silk suit with white cotton trim, instead of red velvet with fur trim. Mush cooler.

As an American, it is hard to get used to this summer Christmas, but it is natural for everyone here. Kind of strange. The malls have Santa workshop/display areas just like up north, complete with fake snow around Santa's house and snowmen in the yard, though it almost never snows in Brazil. Much tradition has come from the northern climates.