List 18 (the MoC section can now smoke)

Batman

The Soul Sessions - Joss Stone (2003)

Unlike many of her counterparts, 16 year old Joss Stone does not sing flaky pop ditties while baring her midriff. She sings mature covers of soul classics written by such artists as Aretha Franklin and the Isley Brothers. She also does a great cover of The White Stripes' "Fell In Love with a Girl", with a slight title change

Some standout tracks (i.e. my favorites):

Super Duper Love (Are you diggin' on me)

Fell in Love with a Boy

Dirty Man

I Had a Dream

Edited by Guest
flying fingers

I have been suggesting mogwai for a while now, they are very good, seriously! here it is again:

Mogwai: "Happy songs for happy people"

Mogwai are a scottish post-rock band. I am terrible with genres but that's what people call it so i'll assume that's correct. basically, they play accoustic rock, with some vocals but not really lyrics. and surprise, surprise, accoustic music can be very emotional! eventhough there are no lyrics, so many emotions are conveyed through the music, which is absolutely beautiful, albeit quite depressing. my favorite tracks are "kids will be skeletons" and "kiiling all the flies".

And...

Jeffrey Lewis "The last time I did acid I went insane

Jeffrey Lewis is a new york singer and guitar player, who apparently falls in the category of anti-folk (or so i read). Do not expect complicated melodies, because it is all about the lyrics; Jeffrey plays the guitar and sings over it, which I guess is where the "anti-folk" comes in. there are some really good songs here, including "chelsea hotel oral sex song" which is a kind of tribute to leonard cohens "chelsea hotel 2", " east river", which is a tale of loneliness as he he explain what girls from different parts of new york would do after they met him, and of course the hilarious "the last time I did acid I went insane" , which grafically explains what happened to him on an acid trip.

Apparently he is not populat in the US, which is shame, so think about giving him a listen and you might discover something you like

Here's another, slighlty different one

RJD2 "Deadringer"

This is an album with sounds of funk, soul, trip-hop and hip-hop. not to everyones taste, some songs not even to mine! but I assure you, what he has done with the reast of the album is amazing! you know what moby did in "play"? well, it's a similar kind of thing, possibly even better. definite must-listen songs are "the horror" (quite upbeat), "smoke and mirrors" (very chilled) and "ghostwriter", which uses soul vocals, horns to create ana amazing rhythm!

framton9ew.th.jpg

Album One:

Somethin's Happening

Doobie Wah

Show Me The Way

It's A Plain Shame

All I Want To Be (Is By Your Side)

Wind Of Change

Baby I Love Your Way

I Wanna Go To The Sun

Album Two:

Penny For Your Thoughts

(I'll Give You) Money

Shine On

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Lines On My Face

Do You Feel Like We Do

Live from Winterland in San Francisco came one of the most memorable records of the 70's. Do you

feel like we do is over 14 minutes long and yet was heavily played on the radio due to it's popularity and frequently repeated requests.

Sales of over six million copies in the U.S. and over 16 million copies worldwide.

A rock staple of the 70's!!

The Soul Sessions - Joss Stone (2003)

Unlike many of her counterparts, 16 year old Joss Stone does not sing flaky pop ditties while baring her midriff. She sings mature covers of soul classics written by such artists as Aretha Franklin and the Isley Brothers. She also does a great cover of The White Stripes' "Fell In Love with a Girl", with a slight title change

Some standout tracks (i.e. my favorites):

Super Duper Love (Are you diggin' on me)

Fell in Love with a Boy

Dirty Man

I Had a Dream

joss187dq.jpg

joss14bg.jpg

joss2vz.jpg

joss26ek.jpg

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Here's list 18 (Elvy suggested I start including albums from the reviews subforum, since we didn't get a lot of suggestions for list 18)

Peter Frampton Comes Alive

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000009HF2/qid=1136334597/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7889261-7423200?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000C0FKA/qid=1136334653/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-7889261-7423200?v=glance&s=music

Jeffrey Lewis - The Last Time I Did Acid I Went Insane

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000663ZT/qid=1136334704/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-7889261-7423200?v=glance&s=music

Carole King - Tapestry

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000J2PH/qid=1136334894/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-7889261-7423200?v=glance&s=music

Gong - Angel's Egg (Radio Gnome Invisible, Pt. 2)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000HTZ/qid=1136334920/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-7889261-7423200?v=glance&s=music

The last one is me infiltrating the lists again, but I think you guys would like the album a lot. It's a really nice mellow prog album, It's very intricate but it's not at all overblown. It's very trippy, and the guitars and flute work wonderfully together. The keyboards make the music very ambient. One reviewer really described it best, "it's like King Crimson on 10 doses of acid." Sorry for including one of my suggestions in the list again, I'll try not to do it in the future.

I think some were a little bummed that there were 11 suggestions given for list 17, and Batman added a random one to the list - he makes really good suggestions, and this one was definitely a good choice.

Come one guys, nominate your favourite albums! You must have at least one you'd like to see on the front page and share with us! :coolio:

I think some were a little bummed that there were 11 suggestions given for list 17, and Batman added a random one to the list - he makes really good suggestions, and this one was definitely a good choice.

I just really wanted people to hear that album...sorry about that. But I did give a review for it, and I picked that one. Although, I just realized that it had been on one of the earlier music of choices already...woops!

Maybe it should be changed so everyone adds their suggestions, then a poll is made and everyone votes on the suggestions, the 5 highest rating get put up. Very fair....

it's a good idea, but, correct me if I'm wrong (I might be, I've only modded one list so far), the point of Music of Choice is partly to find out about music that you may not have heard. If we started voting, the most popular suggestions would win each time, most likely, and the MoC wouldn't really serve it's purpose.

In polls you can only vote once, so even if people did vote for their own, it would then mean they were all equal anyway.

Plus it is more fair than the person choosing a list overlooking other members suggestions and adding their own, would it not?

Doesn't bother me at all, because I didn't suggest anything. The only reason I noticed was because:

The last one is me infiltrating the lists again

Sorry for including one of my suggestions in the list again, I'll try not to do it in the future.

I just really wanted people to hear that album...sorry about that. But I did give a review for it, and I picked that one. Although, I just realized that it had been on one of the earlier music of choices already...woops!

And it's good to have a fair way of choosing suggestions.