This NFL Season

PSYCHOcatholic

So...i know everybody just cant wait til the Superbowl cause Rolling Stones are playing!

But...we must honor the Rolling Stones with some good teams! Now, of course i always root for my team the Patriots. But they had there victory, and Brady has his ring! So, this season, im lookin for the Cowboys! Titans just ruined my life with the Ind. game...im not even gonna comment on that!

SO....random thoughts on this NFL season!

Who ya rootin for?

Should Brett Favre quit? the answers YES

Should we kick Detroit out of the NFL? Well, then where would all the bad players have to go?

Well , Indy seems the obvious choice , presently , but I think Chicago v.s Indianapolis would be the most interesting matchup : Awesome Def vs. Off --Indy would still win , IMO , but it could be exciting if Chi could find a way to score , as well .

I'm rooting for a game worth watching , as usual , as I don't have a particular favorite .

I'll say

Indianapolis will win the super bowl vs. any NFC team,

but Seattle has a good chance to beat Indianapolis in the regular season.

Should we kick Detroit out of the NFL?

Just install the USC Trojans in place of Detroit and they'd be right up there in contention.

Right on , and let's talk expansion ... out with Detroit , IN with the Saskatchewan Roughriders ! :thumbsup: Only 3 downs at home , lots of passing ! A single point for a punt that clears the endzone , no fair catches, a 55 yard line -- eh ? EH ? A mystery factor --might pull in the fans !? ... perhaps ...

Bluesboy , What about the Chargers ? They could pull it off on a hot streak ? ;)

I'm not a big Charger fan so it's easier to critique them.

BLASPHEMY! I grew up in San Diego and the Chargers are in my heart still. I'm from the era of Air Coryell, and even when the Chargers are stinking up the stadium, I still love 'em. I'll be crushed if they move... :(

BLASPHEMY! I grew up in San Diego and the Chargers are in my heart still. I'm from the era of Air Coryell, and even when the Chargers are stinking up the stadium, I still love 'em. I'll be crushed if they move... :(

I grew up in Los Angeles. My parents had season tickets to the Rams for over 30 years, so I went to about 150 games at the Los Angeles Coliseum from 1958 - 1971. Then about 1980, they moved to Anaheim and eventually St. Louis,

and I Was crushed. I've never come around to the Chargers. Their owner stinks and San Diego deserves better.

• 1 month later...

Well , Indy seems the obvious choice , presently , but I think Chicago v.s Indianapolis would be the most interesting matchup : Awesome Def vs. Off --Indy would still win , IMO , but it could be exciting if Chi could find a way to score , as well .

Chomp ! Chomp ! Eating one's words isn't half bad ( as I end up doing so often , I guess ) ...Pass the salt ! :P

Oh, well . Go Pittsburgh ! ( Though I think Seattle must be favored now , but Carolina is quietly getting it done , too ... Jeez ! Just setting myself up again ... !?! :doh: :laughing: )

I believe that holding is when the offensive players , most often , ( usually linemen ) grab onto the defensive players rushing at the ballcarrier or quarterback . They are allowed to push them back or block them , but not grab nor 'hold' them . Blues boy ( below ) describes the most common reason for it .

Your second question describes a bit of an art : The tackling players may pile onto the guy with the ball untill the whistle blows signalling that the ballcarrier is down and play has ended . If they continue to do so after , it can be a penalty or personal foul . The reason is quite simply to make sure the ballcarrier is stopped -- but more accurately , to punish and try to intimidate him for future plays . This is ' the art ' . Also , as Psycho will mention 2 posts down , they may cause a fumble .

Edited by Guest
Clarification

Laurie,

the 2nd one first -

It's just the forward momentum of the defense collapsing on the guy with the ball (ba-boom!).

Holding is when the offensive lineman realizes the defensive guy has a one step jump on him and within 4 seconds will decimate your quarterback unless you slow him down by tugging on his jersey in front of a zebra.

:cool: