Need some suggestions...

jr_rocker

Hi, I'm a new member here, I'm im high school. I've always loved older rock from the 60-70s such as the Ramones, Rush, America, and The Rolling Stones, I even like somem heavy metal such as Metallica.

I was hoping I could get some suggestion from some of you guys for bands or albums I could check out. I recently bought an mp3 player and already transferred about 60 songs from the artists above.

Oh, and also, I'm downloading music using iTunes...they have no Metallica, no AC/DC, no Led Zepellin! Anyone know what's up with that?!

Thanks,

-Daniel

Hello jr rocker! :D

iTunes has no Led Zeppelin, Metallica or AC/DC? That sucks! You've come to the right place for recommendations though!

Bluesboy's suggestions for The Rolling Stones are definitely worth your while :thumbsup:

For the Ramones, I'd recommend the first four albums; Ramones, Leave Home, Rocket To Russia and Road To Ruin.

Oh, and also, I'm downloading music using iTunes...they have no Metallica, no AC/DC, no Led Zepellin! Anyone know what's up with that?!

It's dependent upon the artist granting permission/license for iTunes to have them. There's also no Beatles, though I think Yoko finally whored John's solo stuff out. The funny thing about Metallica - they were the biggest a-holes about Napster/free downloading, and then a great, legal alternative comes up and they back out. They said that people should experience their music in album form only. B*stards. Remember when they were actually cool and rebellious?

Metallica - Remember when they were actually cool and rebellious?

No. They play good music, but my most glaring memory of Metallica is of Lars Ulrich whining like a little girl about 13-year-olds ripping off his music..."I'm sure their mothers have 16 dollars to give them to buy an album....wah, wah, wah...My mother paid for my albums all during high school and even through my year and a half at Hick Mountain Junior College, where I studied Extortion By Humiliation, with a minor in Public Whining....wah, wah wah..." I'm paraphrasing, of course.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :thumbsdown:

It's dependent upon the artist granting permission/license for iTunes to have them. There's also no Beatles, though I think Yoko finally whored John's solo stuff out. The funny thing about Metallica - they were the biggest a-holes about Napster/free downloading, and then a great, legal alternative comes up and they back out. They said that people should experience their music in album form only. B*stards. Remember when they were actually cool and rebellious?

Oh. Thanks for the explanation. That sucks, I hope they change their mind some day.

And everyone thanks for the suggestions.

Welcome, jr Rocker!

Great suggestions, so far!! Here are a few others.

Lonesome Jubilee - John Mellencamp

Full Moon Fever - Tom Petty

Making Movies - Dire Straits

Night Moves - Bob Seger

Goodbye Yellowbrick Road - Elton John

Fleetwood Mac - their self-titled debut album (the debut of the band with Nicks and Buckingham in the lineup).

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping

this is har jr rocker.

I remember when I was a freshman in high school two years ago. I did not know who The Doors, Queen, The Who, Deep Purple, Mahanishvu Orchestra, The Police, ect...

Howver, at the end of freshman year I did not have a lot of music, and I thought to myself, I have it all, i was sadly mistaken, I had nothing, there was so much more to listen to.

At the begining of junior year, present, I own

Other bands and artists from that era I would check out (if you haven't already done so):

• Aerosmith (their '70s stuff blows the doors off of anything they've done since Permanent Vacation)
  • Dire Straits (all their albums)
  • Electric Light Orchestra
  • Joe Walsh (both solo and with the James Gang)
  • Genesis (1971-77, when Steve Hackett was their lead guitarist; this period overlaps both the Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins eras of the band)
  • Jethro Tull
  • Rush

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Songfacts Jr. Rocker. Nothing gives me more joy than seeing today's youth listening to Classic Rock. I wish my kids did. As you probably know, alot of classic rock and pop is used commercially today. I doubt you will have the same recurrence with today's music 20 or 30 years from now.

There are some great rock albums out there and I can sit here all day and create a huge list. To get you started I would recommend the following albums:

Quadrophenia - The Who

We're An American Band - Grand Funk Railroad

Toys In The Attic - Aerosmith

Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin

Here's a few that I like that haven't been mentioned yet:

David Bowie - Hunky Dory

The Band - Music From Big Pink

The Velvet Underground - I like both Loaded and The Velvet Underground and Nico the best

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Van Morrison - Moondance and also, Astral Weeks

And check out Neil Young, The Allman Brothers, Steely Dan, and Cream.