Favorite musician movie

Steel2Velvet

Kevin,

Have not seen Backbeat. It is a documentary or a reinactment?

One of my favorites was a B&W short docu about the Stones. Made in U.K., it was their very early days of touring Britain in a VW Microbus. I wish I knew the title.

J.D. Detroit, MI

JimmyJazz,

I'm gonna see Walk the Line tomorrow. I saw J.R. and June in Detroit in 64 and followed their careers from then on. I keep finding more recordings by him. I have heard clips from the film, and I was happy that the actors did their own vocals, but I was disappointed with how they sounded. I'm not sure Hollywood is going to show their best personalities or talents, so I'm ready to be diappointed. Showing people at their best sometimes does not sell tickets any more.

J.D. Detroit

I'm watching "The Temptations" on vh1 classic...good movie.

I saw that in cable a month ago. That WAS a good flick! You could tell whose bio the perspective was from (only 2 of the original members were good people according to this version) but it nontheless really highlighted the fantastic music these guys put out and how they influenced many subsequent multi-part harmonics groups.

Kevin,

Have not seen Backbeat. It is a documentary or a reinactment?

One of my favorites was a B&W short docu about the Stones. Made in U.K., it was their very early days of touring Britain in a VW Microbus. I wish I knew the title.

J.D. Detroit, MI

It's a movie based on stories from that time , with some artistic license , I'm sure . The actor who plays Lennon really looks the part ! It's a 1994 movie , if you are looking for it .

Here is a site with a long list of Rolling Stones appearences on TV and documentaries. Maybe you can find out...?

Bye Bye Birdie

Fun film with Janet Leigh, Dick Van Dyke, Ann-Margret, and Paul Lynde.

The Commitments

Great film with rock and soul from Ireland.

Rock 'n' Roll High School

This is such a cult classic, and just downright funny! And great music from The Ramones, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac, Alice Cooper, Chuyck Berry, Velvet Underground

Bound for Glory

Very interesting cast in this film. The celebration of the life of Woodie Guthrie.

You need to check this one out if you haven't already.

Nashville

A Robert Altman film with a wacky cast of Henry Gibson, Lily Tomlin, Ronee Blakley, Keith Carradine, Geraldine Chaplin, Barbara Harris, Karen Black, Joan Tewkesbury.

Sweet and Lowdown

Ok it's Woody Allen, but it is about Emmet Ray who ruled as the second greatest jazz guitarist in the world in the 1930's. This is Woody's fictional account of his life and what a life it was, gangsters and love affairs.

All these films are worth taking a look at, something for everyone. And they cover different times in music history sort of.