Favorite musician movie

Steel2Velvet

Not looking for a typical Hollywood Musical about some non-music subject that weaves a score into its dialogue (such as "Chicago"), but tell me about your favorite movie that has a musician or group of musicians as the the subject. No documentaries, eg. "Woodstock" or "Let It Be"; but a narrative with a story about music or musicians either fiction or biographic. Of course music or singing will probably be included somewhere in the movie, but it does not carry the movie.

My favorite is "That Thing You Do" with Tom Hanks and a very young Liv Tyler, that outlines the rise and fall of the quintessential one hit wonder bands.

That Thing You Do is a great movie!! I keep forgetting that the song is a made up one, it sounds as though it really was a 60's hit.

My favourites are:

Detroit Rock City , about four obssessed KISS fans who keep getting stonewalled out of seeing their favourite band. I know this movie word for word.

Thunderstruck is about four obsessed AC/DC fans. After a near death experience when they were teens, they pledged to bury whoever died first next to Bon Scott. Ten years later, they're no longer friends and have lost contact. One of them dies in a freak accident and they reunite to fulfil the promise.

Nope. Written by Adam Schlesinger (Fountains Of Wayne bass player) for the movie which was made in 1996.

No WONDER they all sounded the same when i downloaded it. Thats kinda depressing...

But, in turn it puts the movie high up on my list...Adam Schlesinger, to make a song that sounds EXACTLY like that time period, he needs to be writing more songs like that! I know alot of people miss that kind of music. Pardon my french, but i sure as hell do.

I'll have to cast a vote for "Amadeus," which puts the audience inside the music. As the composer (or performer) reads the score, it comes alive with nary an orchestra in sight. Whether a piece by Salieri or Mozart played, this was a magical film. :drummer:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I also loved "The harder they come". And "The Phantom of The Paradise", though I saw it just once, some 30 years ago and I´m aware it´s not a real story but rather a modern "Phantom of the Opera" with a touch of Faust...

...and also a touch of Quasimodo and Cyrano de Bergerac.

Edited by Guest

I had a hard time sitting through Phantom of the Opera. I'd heard so many good things about it that I forced myself. But Emmy Rossum's voice is so high pitched that I found myself cringing every time she broke into song.

Oh, I meant "Phantom of the Paradise", Brian de Palma... maybe it´s not a very well known movie... :P I didn´t see "Phantom of the Opera"...

Clint Eastwood´s "Bird", about Charlie Parker, is a great movie.

I was going to quote that one too... :) And I wasn´t even a Charlie Parker fan...

I saw an old movie on TV some years ago, it was Glenn Miller´s life, with James Stewart. It was a simple story but I liked it.

Of the old movies I liked The Glenn Miller Story, The Eddie Duchin Story, The Benny Goodman Story.

I also liked Bird, This Is Spinal Tap, Amadeus, Eddie and The Cruisers, Immortal Beloved, That Thing You Do and Pete Kelly's Blues, Mr. Holland's Opus, and what was that thing with that guy Jack Black in it? You know, the guy that Peaches likes? LOL..It was great!

As I recall ( haven't seen it in years ) , "Backbeat " , about the early Beatle days in Hamburg was pretty good , especially as Stu Suttcliff is largely forgotten as an early member . I also enjoyed " The Commitments" as it was one of few movies that had a decent sountrack that involved the actual cast members . However , " The Wall " has to be considered a favorite , as it is always enjoyable to watch , although it is a bit of a "downer " .