Journey

Nicknameless

On Wednesday November 30th, I went down to the US to Grand Forks (Usual trip) to see Journey. I live in Winnipeg. Enterance was poor. You could see them walk on the dark stage but then you see 2 guys run on and attatch a few more wires and run around a bit. Then the lights come on and I look to my left and I see people standing out from their seats and cheering and it looked like a really good photo. They opened with Be Good To Yourself then went on to ask the lonely. Then they talked a bit. I wasn't very impress on the intoduction on the people as it was scattered and hard to follow. There were 5 people. Also I don't know what other people are talking about the new Steve to replace Steve Perry because he couldn't tour was pretty close in sound. Steve Perry was better and I wish he was there but this was pretty close. After those first two songs they played a few off their newer album. I didn't reconise them neither did my dad. We were with older people and had fairly good seats. There were people about 50-60 around us but further down the row there were a few younger people. Two roughly 25 year old girls stood up for a little while then got told to sit down but they tried to argue because the people at the bottom were standing. They sat but later stood up and they got told just to go down to the front if they want to stand so they did. After 3 songs I didn't know they played Wheel in The Sky. The performance on stage wasn't exactly fantastic. Lighting was occasionally blinding and there wasn't alot of moving going on. On the floor there were younger people like teens. They played a few more off their newer album then played Lights. Also in the show I believe that they played Voodoo Child. Then they played quite a bit more that I didn't know. Then at the end they put all the best songs. I can't remember which particular order but I think it was Faithfully, Who's Crying Now, Open Arms, Anyway You Want It, Don't Stop Believing then there was another song after that. Then everybody clapped and stood up then they left came back on like every single concert I have been to or seen except for The Beach Boys. Then they came back and one guy played the harmonica for a while then they moved to their last song. Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' they told everybody to sing most of it. But there was alot of older people and they didn't feel like singing so they still did sing about 95% of it. Overall it was a good show. What I didn't like was thet through the middle of the show they ahd tons of song I haven't heard neither had my dad and was very dry and almost boaring. But of cousrse it wasn't. It was a good show but they didn't have the best performance on stage, they should have mixed a few more older songs with the newer songs, and the sound quality was pretty bad. They had it too loud and was distorting and vocals were getting overthrown too much by the guitars. Overall I think it was good and worth it for the money. Even if I did get only 4:30 hours of sleep before school.

• 1 month later...

Yeah...some old bands that keep coming up with new stuff...just doesnt seem to be workin for them. They are famous for there old stuff. Journey especially...Dont Stop Believin...Any Way You Want It...stuff like that. I had a chance to see them in an outside concert but...Katrina hated everybody that season and it got rained out!

I have seen Journey 3 times...twice with Steve Perry and once with the "fake Steve"....and no one can replace Steve Perry. His stage presence is unbelievable!! The first time I saw them was in 1980 and the crowd was wild! The Baby's opened for Journey and got the crowd wound up and when Journey came out on stage and Steve Perry started singing, everyone was up on their feet dancing and singing along! When I saw the new version of Journey back about 6 years ago, the crowd was more mellow. And yes the new singer does sound like Steve Perry, but it didn't feel the same as the other 2 concerts. It is hard for a classic band, well any band to make such a change and the fans to just go with the flow.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone find it odd that Journey and Def Leopard are touring together this spring/summer? Is that not the strangest combination? That and the fact that, at least here in St Louis, Journey is considered the opening act!!!

I have no desire to ever see Journey again without Steve Perry. To me he has one of the most phenomenal (sp) voices ever, for any genre of music, not just rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Journey is definitely not the same without Steve Perry. I don't mean to dis the new lead, but it's really not the same. The band mates say that "there was a Journey before Steve, so there can be a Journey after". Sure, if by before they mean all the 70s stuff they were cutting, which by to-day's short attention spans wouldn't get airplay. A gig of early Journey music wouldn't draw in as many fans who grew up on the songs Perry fronted. If anything, they shoulda gone a different route and chosen a singer that didn't sound so much like Steve Perry because now they really cannot escape the criticisms, even if unwarranted... even if Steve Augeri has the chops to front the band. That's too bad. I think all parties involved have the talent, but, as usual, the awareness that one has legendary status can affect one's decisions.

Journey is definitely not the same without Steve Perry. I don't mean to dis the new lead, but it's really not the same. The band mates say that "there was a Journey before Steve, so there can be a Journey after". Sure, if by before they mean all the 70s stuff they were cutting, which by to-day's short attention spans wouldn't get airplay. A gig of early Journey music wouldn't draw in as many fans who grew up on the songs Perry fronted. If anything, they shoulda gone a different route and chosen a singer that didn't sound so much like Steve Perry because now they really cannot escape the criticisms, even if unwarranted... even if Steve Augeri has the chops to front the band. That's too bad. I think all parties involved have the talent, but, as usual, the awareness that one has legendary status can affect one's decisions.

exactly.