Rate the last thing you read

Batman

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading 1984 by George Orwell

Funny, I´m reading this book -also one of my faves- for the fourth time in my life... :cool: I have some 10 books to read but 1984 is a book I re-read from time to time.

I´m also finishing a book by Amélie Notomb and starting another one by the same author.

"Memoirs of a Geisha" I'd seen the movie, but not read the book yet. I've have since discovered it's one of those can't-put-it-down sort of books. The imagery is rich, the writing is fluid, this guy is amazing, and he's able to bring the reader right into the center of things. I can feel it when she talks about cold it is and the draft through the house. Wow.

10/10 and I'm not even finished with it yet.

I finished reading 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith a while ago.

It's one of those books that I wish everyone in the whole wide world would read. It's written with a sparkle so the narrative easy and friendly and funny and witty. But at its core it's insightful and wise.

Three families from three different countries on three different continents each with three different religions - but they're all living close to each other in and around London. Also they're all related. England, Bangladesh and Jamaica. She had three different cultures to keep track of but - though I can't speak for the Jamaican references - the ones to do with Bangladesh were absolutely accurate. Right down to the swear words.

Try out the first 2-3 paragraphs of the plot summary in the wiki link above. No spoilers there :)

I'm curious whether these 'realistic' movies or books, even , appease the mind with like-mindedness or revulsion , or simply implant ideas that are easily made or contemplated by the types described...or both ?

You are certainly free to watch/read whatever entertains you , but I find now , that serial killer 'propaganda' as entertainment pains me somewhat . Perhaps it's time to stop digging into the worst of human beings as an form of entertainment ( the benefit seems negligible ) -though I've watched all this crap myself as well .

By holding them up to some coverage , and offering some justifications or 'reasonableness ' to their lifestyles , we only encourage the larger fringe who are not quite there , but could go .

I'm curious whether these 'realistic' movies or books, even , appease the mind with like-mindedness or revulsion , or simply implant ideas that are easily made or contemplated by the types described...or both ?

You are certainly free to watch/read whatever entertains you , but I find now , that serial killer 'propaganda' as entertainment pains me somewhat . Perhaps it's time to stop digging into the worst of human beings as an form of entertainment ( the benefit seems negligible ) -though I've watched all this crap myself as well .

By holding them up to some coverage , and offering some justifications or 'reasonableness ' to their lifestyles , we only encourage the larger fringe who are not quite there , but could go .

I like Dexter. I listened to some of the books long before I ever watched the show. DH on the other hand doesn't like the show at all.

It is fiction and anyone that would ever do the things he does in RL obviously has some mental issues. If someone had a loved one killed by a serial killer I can see how they could have a break down and try something like Dexter does. Kill other serial killers. But you have to admit doing what Dexter does in real life would be impossible for many reasons.

For a long time I was hooked on a series of Books by Andrew Vachss. Not unlike Dexter he killed evil people. In the Vachss books he kills child molesters.

Andrew Vachss in RL is a child advocate lawyer. I think he probably wrote the books as a way of venting. He's probably seen such horrors done to children in his line of work that writing those books helped him not go insane :D

this may be the wrong thread for this, but your talking about the RL killers and molesters, etc...

Two weeks ago when I was at the doctor about my wrist (thoracic outlet syndrome), here walks in two sheriffs deputies with a prisoner in leg irons and handcuffs, stripes, and a pink undershirt (Sheriff Joe Arpaio's fashion statement). He sits down next to me and he's obviously pretty young. The deputies are giving him sort of a rough time, laughing at him it seemed to me. He didn't seem uncomfortable at all with it, though, and filled out the paperwork asking how to spell stuff, asking what he should put down for "occupation." (for the record, after they tossed around, "I dunno, prisoner?" they decided on "student.")

Anyway, I felt sorry for the kid.

Until the next night, when I saw his picture on TV as the killer of his girlfriend's 3-year-old daughter, by stomping on her chest.

That's when the RL hit me square in the face.

wardh6.jpg

Holy hell, I suppose I would fit this fringe-minded criteria? I have a good-sized collection of Slasher, Detective/Crime Drama, Film Noir, Gangster (films from the 30s on up to the update of De Palma's Scarface), Nazisploitation, Nunsploitation, Supernatural Horror/Zombie, Eurosleaze, and God-knows-what-else type of movies and books in my collections. These, beside my penchant for watching all true-crime detective shows (The First 48 ranks as one of my all-time favourites), have turned my brain to tapioca.

850752001394.jpgMV5BMTM5NDUwODA2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTc.jpg

B0002JP2SO01LZZZZZZZ.jpgstrangevicemrswardh.jpg

254_box_348x490.jpg428_box_348x490.jpg

333_box_348x490.jpg89_box_348x490.jpg

There is no hope, kiddies. Imma gonna have to reach for my chainsaw and wheel out the ol' woodchipper from the back shed... brb :beatnik:

Yeah, I think they could make a way better movie.

(Aside: I almost have 666 posts)

A movie about the nuances of the male mind, fighting for alpha male status in the 80s, isn't exactly a woman's forté. I applaud her attempt. Think of it this way, it would be like a woman trying to direct Taxi Driver or The Driller Killer. They would never be the classics they're renown to be :beatnik:

It took me two days to read About Black Holes by Isaac Asimov. It could be done in 30 minutes if you skim through it but I read and re-read every sentence. Also, I have two other books going on, so I'm a bit slow.

For me it was a revision of everything I learnt in one year of physics in school. Good for me because I don't have exams on it and it was nice to have all my astronomy concepts refreshed. And if Mr. Asimov is doing it, I'm more than happy!