Rate the last thing you read

Batman

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, I'll tell you, it was INCREDIBLY boring.

I think it's some fault inside me, I had to mark some papers today, and it's fairly easy as I have an answer sheet right there and it should be a simple job, but...I like to know what I'm reading, and to give some kind of extra feedback, so I read up on things in Hilliers and Haynes to give me some assistance with the correct terminology!! How sad....I do find it interesting alot of the time though...even sadder!

I've been reading the Holy Q'uran a Muslim friend of mine had given me. Just to round out my point-of-view in these troubled times. It is difficult to read, you read it in reverse, back-to-front. I was raised Catholic and have no intentions to convert / revert or invert. I don't really put much stock into the religion I was raised with. Seeking answers I guess. The friend who gave me the Anglicized version of the Q'uaran (Mustapha, a Bosnian Islamic) said that it was his duty to at least make the book available to me. Never said anything untoward about Catholocism, but did point out that Christmas kinda went astray. And he's right, I guess. Christ was born, buy a Honda. Christmas is coming, head to Leons (A Canadian furiture retail giant) for their Ho-Ho-Hold the Payments sale.

Sorry. This is a book review thread and I went astray myself.

The last real good book I read was "4000 Days - My Life and Survival in a Bangkok Prison" , The following is a cut-and-paste from the Amazon.com website about the book.

"Book Description

In the late 1970s, author Warren Fellows and two of his friends had the perfect scheme: they would traffic heroin between Australia and Thailand, concealing it flawlessly in high-tech, invisible compartments in suitcases. The money was there, and the process seemed foolproof--especially because they hadn't gotten caught in all their prior attempts at smuggling. But in 1978, all that would change, and Fellows would spend the next twelve years of his life enduring violations of his human rights of unimaginable hideousness.

Fellows, convicted in Thailand, spent these twelve years in Bangkok's infamous Bang Kwang prison, witnessing atrocities committed by both prison officials and his fellow inmates. He survived countless torturous beatings, was forced to eat rats, and endured solitary confinement under terrifyingly inhumane conditions. On a daily basis, Fellows also witnessed the torture and execution of those around him, their screams as common as the insects and vermin in his cell. Many of the prisoners in Bang Kwang turned to heroin--the vice that landed Fellows there in the first place--to escape their daily nightmares, and the prison guards often helped feed this deadly addiction.

Fellows, now a free man, has lived to write about these twelve ghastly years. He has captured the filth, pain, anger, hopelessness, and torture of life in a Thai prison with vivid, engrossing detail and brutal honesty. "

Ken.

A coincidence that you mention drug trafficking and Australia, Ken. An Australian man will be executed at dawn tomorrow (2nd December) in Singapore's Changi Prison for trying to summugle illegal drugs out of the country.

Anyway, I just read about that man in the newspaper, how the Australian government has tried to get his sentence commuted but all appeals have failed. He will be hanged at 6am tomorrow morning, his family have until 1pm that afternoon to remove his body or it will become property of Singapore.

I don't want to start a debate about capital punishment or anything, that was just in the newspaper I read.

the last thing i read was cosmo on the pane so i'll refrain on commenting on that

the last novel i read was "fight club", i.e. the book the movie was based on. it was good although the ending differs from the movie (won't spoil it for anyone who wants to read it) and the main character is more human in the book, mainly towards marla singer.

Well, the last BOOK I read was "Idiot" by Johnny Damon with help from some other author dude. I figured I had better read it before he's no longer a member of the Red Sox. It was pretty good, but if you're not a Red Sox fan (or at least a big baseball fan), many of the references are unrecognizable. I DO NOT recommend it to Yankees fans.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsup:

I am bored in bed, as you all know by now, and I finished a wonderful Argentinian book and I´m reading three at the same time: one is a biography of Yehudi Menuhim, the other is some french novel by Michel Houellebecq -which I don´t know if I´ll like - and the other is a novel written by my mom that has just been published... :):)

It´s "whatever" ("Extension du domaine de la lutte" in french...) I read "Atomised" ("Les particules élémentaires", they don´t translate the titles as they should... :stars:) some five years ago and I liked it... well, I liked it... more or less. Houellebecq is a strange guy...

I remember I also read "Plateforme" (I don´t know the title in English, it´s his third novel...) but I didn´t like it.

So you suggest I should read "Whatever"? I just started it a couple of days ago... fever won´t let me remember much of what I read these days...

Edited by Guest

No, the book´s written in Spanish as it´s published by a spanish editor... but I hope it will be a best seller so it will be translated into many languages and we´ll all be rich!! :laughing:

Nah, I´m joking... everybody writes in my family (scripts, plays, reviews, tales...) but no best sellers... ;)

And now, let me post a musical interlude...

Pretty Paracetamol

(Fischer-z)

Pretty paracetamol you soothe my aching brow,

I need you when my heard is spinning round,

I look into the looking glass but none of them is me,

It takes at least an hour to pin me down,

First impressions often lie,

They always fool the naked eye.

I hold you gently on my tongue and then you drift away,

It's hard to read the writing on the label,

I force my hands out sideways but I can't resist the strain,

And it don't help me, no it don't help me,

I think I recognize a friendly face I've seen before,

(don't you despair)

It's moving far too quickly to be sure,

Tangled in a web of twisted memories and lies,

(There's no one there)

I'm fighting for a reason to go on.

Pretty paracetamol you soothe my aching brow,

I need you when my heard is spinning round,

I multiply myself by two in the mirror on the wall,

But it don't help me, no it don't help me,

I think I've lost control, I think I've lost control,

I think I've lost control, I think I've lost control...