Rate the last thing you read

Batman

whether it be a book, a magazine, an article, or whatever

I just finished reading "A Prayer for Owen Meany" for school. I thought it was good. I liked the recurring symbolism, and the foreshadowing. I think those are 2 out of the 3 best things a book can have going for it, if they are done right (3rd being suspense). One thing I didn't like was the unnescesary political ranting. The narrator's opinions on Vietnam helped with the book setting, but every once in a while, the narrator would start talking about modern times, and why he doesn't like the Reagan administration, and then it turned into the author placing random political rants within the book. They didn't really have a point. I felt like I was being forced to listen to his political opinions if I wanted to get the rest of the story, and I couldn't care less about anyone's opinions on Ronald Reagan. Also, he threw in a lot of unnescesary sexual stuff, which I didn't really mind, and sometimes contributed to the story, but mostly it was a waste of pages. Those two things dragged the book down, so I give the book a B

Edited by Guest

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the ingredients off the side of a box Pop Tarts. How many different kinds of sugar can they wedge into those things? Liquid invert sugar? Why is it inverted? Don't they invert all sugar when the dump it upside down into the cookers? Two hundred calories per Pop Tart.

Wow.

I just finished reading Batman's new post entitled "Rate The Last Thing You Read". It was very insightful, especially the part where he describes the book about Owen Meany. Batman is actually a very good author. I have enjoyed his works in the past, but this one somehow just didn't grab me like many of his others have. I do recommend it to others, but it's just not one of those over-the-top, brilliant pieces of work that I'm used to reading from Batman. 6.5 out of 10.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :thumbsup:

I just finished reading Batman's new post entitled "Rate The Last Thing You Read". It was very insightful, especially the part where he describes the book about Owen Meany. Batman is actually a very good author. I have enjoyed his works in the past, but this one somehow just didn't grab me like many of his others have. I do recommend it to others, but it's just not one of those over-the-top, brilliant pieces of work that I'm used to reading from Batman. 6.5 out of 10.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :thumbsup:

:laughing: wise guy, eh?

Psst, Ken...you have some Pop Tart crumbs around your mouth. :shades:

A penguin walks into an auto service station after having work done to his car. The penguin says "What was wrong?", and the mechanic say's "You blew a seal". The penguin wipes his lip and says, sheepishly, "No, I stopped for an ice-cream...."

Rrrrrrrrrrimshot.

Exit, stage left, even...

Ken.

At the risk of Sammy's head growing to gargantuan proportions and possibly exploding, I love to read anything that he writes. And Sammy, I've told you this before... you should write a book Dave Barry style. No joke.

Other than that... let's see... I'm struggling to get through "The Last of the Mohicans". Very stilted writing, and it's tough, but I'm bound and determined to read these classics, and this one is on my list, dammit.

I just read the ingredients off the side of a box Pop Tarts. How many different kinds of sugar can they wedge into those things? Liquid invert sugar? Why is it inverted? Don't they invert all sugar when the dump it upside down into the cookers? Two hundred calories per Pop Tart.

Wow.

Do you think its a little weird Ken that they have instructions for Pop Tarts? Including Microwave instructions!

At the risk of Sammy's head growing to gargantuan proportions and possibly exploding, I love to read anything that he writes. And Sammy, I've told you this before... you should write a book Dave Barry style. No joke.

I agree. I used to tell Sammy how funny he was every time he cracked me up, but I don't have enough hours in the day to keep up with all of his hilarity. The thing about "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" just about killed me.

Just think how funny he'd be if he hadn't fried all those brain cells eating brownies. :laughing:

Sammy has been one of my heroes since first coming to Songfacts. Along with several other brilliant satirists (and yes, you DO play it like an instrument), he gets me laughing very easily.

I am nearing the end of The DaVinci Code. I like the book, the style; a little slow in spots. People ask me if I think it is earth-shaking. I say, "No, it's fiction."

I just read a Greenpeace e-mail about I don´t rememeber what...it was at least 25 pages long... :stars: I´ll read it again when I feel better.

I love Sammy´s posts too. I believe he´s a genius. Uncle Joe, Jr and Sammy should write a book. Or a script for a funny movie.

I am reading two novels, one in Spanish by an Argentinian author and the other one in French by a French author. I need to get back to my roots from time to time... :P

The last thing I read... Oh yea, they got these new Psych books in the library. I was going through them and came across a picture of Young Freud, Old Stanley-Hall, and young Jung at Clark University. Nice picture.

And before you ask, I read some bits of the book too.