Rate the last thing you read

Batman

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if I base the last thing I've read as being the post above me then I'll say that the benzene ring has grown weary of being separated by just one carbon atom.

Isn't that in a sense what love is or is supposed to be?

So in other words, the last thing I've read taught me nothing.

Reference is everything relative to gaining knowledge at the same time realizing nothing.

Sometimes... scratch that... "most of the time" it's best to know nothing about everything.

The newborn's first reaction to life will agree and weep...

It'd be nice to be a sponge and not live on the coral reef.

Chemicals have no sense.

Also, I was referring to;

(metacarpus; metagenesis; metalinguistics etc., etc., et al) post.

Check it out, without the chemicals because there are about a gazillion different meanings for "meta."

Good word, though!

:D

hmmm there might be a lot of uses for "meta" but as far as I know benzene is always a chemical.

A Clockwork Orange

I don't care if it's Kubrick, the movie doesn't do the book justice. I'm also glad it's Kubrick because no one else could have done it better (I think so anyway)

On my list of favourite books ever, now, not just for how much we end up relating to and feeling for our poor anti-hero (see?) but also (and perhaps more so) because of how happy it made me to read about Pavlovian conditioning being put to use and working! I think I got disproportionately excited around that bit...

I LOVED the book when I read it back in 1972 or so... and I also loved the movie.

But now I think about it and I changed my mind. It's sadic, it' s cruel, it makes no sense. I hate that sort of violence.

I still prefer the book... even if it' s Kubrick, one of my fave movie directors.

Yeah, but that's part of what makes it so brilliant... like Radhi said, you actually sympathise with Alex, even though he is cruel and sadistic and makes no sense. In the end you're happy HE wins, and not the 'good guys'. (Alright, maybe you are not anymore, but you know what I mean :shades: ;) )

"Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well. . .

Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures . . ."

"Nadsat" IMHO, is one of the most brilliant "slang" languages I've ever read or tried to interpret.

I just finished Clapton, the autobigraphy of Eric Clapton. Very candid account of his life, warts and all. Great stories and truths about his time with The Yardbirds, Cream, John Mayall, Blind Faith, Delaney And Bonnie and all his solo stuff. Not a fluff piece, a very good read.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

The Gold Coast- Nelson DeMille

Pretty interesting and entertaining book. It did manage to surprise me at the end. That doesn't happen very often ;)

It was a story about the upper crust mixing /socializing with a mafia boss. The way he managed to manipulate people was pretty interesting making for a decent read or listen witch ever you choose.

DeMille is one of my favorite authors and he didn't disappoint with this book. I think this book was one of three in a sequel. I will be buying the other two :D

I'd rate it about 8.5/10.