Rate the last thing you read

Batman

I just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I really enjoyed it, and I'm glad that I somehow escaped having to read it for school. I think that I wouldn't have liked it as much. The freshmen this year had to read it. When we were freshmen, we read Lord of the Flies (eh), Our Town (eh again), and Ethan Frome (never again). Lord of the Flies, we were told by our English teacher this year, was said to be a story told by William Golding to his kids as a bedtime story and he really didn't mean any of the supposed symbolism. If this is true, then I want the hours I spent researching how utilitarianism and totalitarianism were present and I would also like to know what sick parent tells their kids stories about schoolboys trying to kill each other - I think that just might be the thing to give me nightmares.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her other Plum books are much, much better Shawna.

I did read another one several months ago (the title escapes me) and it was quite funny... which is why I'm reading this one. My classmates pass these books around, which is how I was introduced to them.

On the strength of that first one in the Plum series I read, I bought another of Evanovich's books, which is a sort of modern-day romance. And it's not good. I made a comment about that yesterday at school and one of my classmates said that before the Plum series, her books were pretty weak. I agree.

Lord of the Flies is a load of crap.

:bow:

Lord of the Flies, we were told by our English teacher this year, was said to be a story told by William Golding to his kids as a bedtime story and he really didn't mean any of the supposed symbolism.

I don't think that's true, the symbolism is very blatant.

Audible just released her 14th Plum book so of course I had to get it.

I'm about half way through it and can't stop listening. The Stephanie Plum series is hysterical. I don't know which character I like best. Lula or Grandma Mazur.

I think this is one of the funnier ones in the series. Very entertaining :D

I'm reading so many different books concurrently, it's untrue.

I am reading Anne Of The Island (from the "Anne Of Green Gables" series) to my 10 year old daughter, as her bed-time story. This evening I read her the chapter "The Summons", dealing with the death of Ruby Gillis. I was choked. Daughter took it all in her stride. Heavy sh!t.

I'm reading so many different books concurrently, it's untrue.

I am reading Anne Of The Island (from the "Anne Of Green Gables" series) to my 10 year old daughter, as her bed-time story. This evening I read her the chapter "The Summons", dealing with the death of Ruby Gillis. I was choked. Daughter took it all in her stride. Heavy sh!t.

:bow: for the Anne of Green Gables Series. And for Dad reading at bedtime. ;)

I started reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude" when I was in school but I didn't enjoy it much. I suppose it's because I was too young back then. I should try to read it again.

I am reading 'The Chamber' by John Grisham at the moment...it's kind of boring in parts, but it has interesting bits too!

^ I just finished it today. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great either... but what bothers me is that it's like the book doesn't know what it wants to be - simply a family saga, something that may well have happened, or some sort of fantastic story (people ascending into heaven, rain that lasts for four years etc)? I'm fine with either kind of book, but the way One Hundred Years of Solitude tried to fuse those two elements didn't work at all for me.

• 3 weeks later...