Rate the last thing you read

Batman

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

A divorced woman from New York goes on a worldwide spiritual journey to Italy, India and Indonesia to find balance in her life. Very entertaining and enlightening.

The book has also made me realize how much in awe I am of those who are brave enough to move to another country, for whatever reason. I then thought of all the transplanted Songfactors we have and want to send kudos out to all of you for your bravery.

Radhi from India to Australia

Kevin from Canada to Japan

Ron from America to Brazil

Rachel from Greece to England

Sue from South Africa to England

Edna from everywhere in the known world to Spain :grin:

Forgive me if I've forgotten anyone.

Tim, try The Illustrated Man. It's awesome :thumbsup:

Lea, I hope this helps....

Ray Bradberry's Stories

I had checked the wiki links Joe but that wasen't much help. I think what I'm looking for is a book of short stories by him.

Found this One: It's called "The Town Where No One Got Off" and was in A Medicine For Melancholy. I was close to the right plot but had it a little backwards.

One was about a man that gets off a train intending to murder a complete stranger just to see how it feels. Then he meets another man at a train station who has the same plan and is considering him as his victim.

The other is a story about a women who drives along a curtain route and becomes younger and more adventurous as she drives.

I was a teen when I read these stories and I'm almost sure he was the author.

There are some others I'd love to find but I'm sure there isn't much hope of that because I can't remember the authors or the names of the stories. I can only remember the plots :(

Edited by Guest
found one :D

Lea, if you can recall any quotes from the stories, no matter if they're 100% accurate, Google the quotes and you may hit on what you're trying to find. For example, Bradberry: "She's no lady, she's my wife". Ya never know. Worth a try.

Also, if you can recall any character names Google them as well.

That's a good idea Joe. I do remember a quote from one of the stories but never thought of googling it. Thank you :D

I tried searching for one by running just the part of the title I remember but have never found it. I still look for that one but don't hold out much hope without an author or complete title :crazy:

I will check those out Joe I'm not having much luck with Google. I'm not sure they are all by Bradbury but I know some are.

I knew of a site a few years back that helped me find a book I had been looking for for years. I think I'll see if I can find that site again. It was really cool.

I lost the link when I lost my last pc tho and it costs a buck per request. It's a forum like here but it's a book site. I was pretty upset when I lost the link.

a buck per request? Wow... let's try that. :grin: :grin:

When I was in 9th grade our social studies teacher was a huge Ray Bradbury fan. Crikey, it was all that man could talk about. He turned me off of Bradbury altogether - and every other student in that class felt the same. It wasn't until years later that I discovered that something I liked was a Bradbury creation... !

I just read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I read it cover to cover yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Very romantic (not as in a romance novel, more like Romantic music), the plot really tied together, but with a few loose characters here and there. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a good mystery/adventure/coming of age/surrealist novel.

• 4 weeks later...

I read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri a week or so ago.

What utter crap.

1. Okay fiiiine you live in America, but I DO NOT CARE what your stores are called! If you must address them by what they are commonly known as, do show SOME consideration for your non-American readers and explain what the &%^# you're on about?! Just because I know what you mean doesn't mean the rest of the world does!

2. Also... would you please be realistic? Do you really... really think a Bengali boy from an orthodox Indian family could live in a place like Boston or New York in the 70s and not face the tiniest bit of racism? No? Ah, so they run into girls in trains and parties and almost instantly embark on a beautiful relationship? The one Bengali date was a set-up!! :doh:

3. I dare you to give me a summary of the story. And I bet you can't. You know why? There isn't one!!!

I can not believe they decided to make a book this crappy into what I presume is an even crappier movie. I finished it in a day because I refused to waste more than that on it the stupid thing. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: