Rate the last thing you read

Batman

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Follett wrote many great mystery novels. Some becaame movies...good ones like Eye Of The Needle.

Did they make that into a movie Joe? I've heard of it before but it seems like a long time ago.

I could google but I'm to lazy :D

• 3 weeks later...

I finally finished the Follett books and I think I liked World Without End just slightly better then The Pillars of the Earth. I would recommend them both to anyone.

Thanks for pointing them out you guys. I think I would have over looked them if you hadn't. 9/10 :thumbsup:

^ I haven't finished World Without End yet. I only allow myself to read a few pages every few days ;)

But I just finished Maus by Art Spiegelman... it's a comic book about the Holocaust. I was very sceptical at first and couldn't quite see how a comic book would be able to deal with such a serious issue, but it was very good.

Right now I'm listening to The Talisman by King. I read it years ago and still have the book. I had been wanting to read it again for quite sometime but can't see the words.

I now have it on audio :D . The Talisman and The Stand were always my favorites by King. I always wondered why they didn't do a movie from The Talisman book.

I always thought Catman Scruthers would have been great in the part of Speedy Parker and Larry Hagman would have made a great Morgan Slout. Add Ann Margaret as mom and you have a good recipie for a hit movie :D

It's a little late for that now I guess. :puppyeyes:

I just finished Sarah Gruen's Water for Elephants, a great novel about how a young man, due to sad circumstances, comes to be a veteranarian for a circus in the summer 1931, and how an elephant changed his fate. The book manages to be both an interesting look into circus life and a commentary on the elderly. Excellent book.

" No one belongs here more that you" by Miranda July. A collection of short stories, some of which was very moving, some not as much. If you enjoyed her film "me you and everyone we know", you will probably enjoy this too.

"The day of the triffids" by John Wyndham. Surprisingly good! Many "disaster"-type movies have heavily borroughed from this book, the premise and opening scene o0f which reminded me of "28 days later". I didn't even mind the seemingly stupid concept of the triffids. Definitely reccommended!

Triffids are (fictional) plants capable of animal-like behaviour: they feed on rotting meat, are able to uproot themselves and move about on their three "legs", possess a deadly whip-like poisonous sting, and appear to communicate with each other.

The triffid is a highly venomous fictional species of plant that appears to have limited intelligence and survival instincts. It is the titular antagonist from the 1951 novel The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham and also later appears in Simon Clark's novel The Night of the Triffids, a sequel set 25 years later, in which the triffid evolves into a more threatening form.

link

that sounds actually quite interesting :)

Edited by Guest
additional quote

" No one belongs here more that you" by Miranda July. A collection of short stories, some of which was very moving, some not as much. If you enjoyed her film "me you and everyone we know", you will probably enjoy this too.

Thanks for mention this one rach, I've been curious about it for a while. I will definitely check it out.