Rate the last thing you read

Batman

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner -- James Hogg

I'm really surprised! I certainly wouldn't have read it if I had had a choice, but now I must say it was really good. I doubt I'll read it again, but this is by far the best book I was ever made to read.

As for rating it... let's say 7.5/10. Or maybe 8.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I just finished two books. X-Ray the autobigraphy of Ray Davies and Here, There and Everywhere by Geoff Emerick who was the engineer on many Beatle albums. It's a great insider's view of the way the Beatles recorded their music. Both books were very good. If any of my Songfactor friends want to read them, send me a PT mailing address and I'll get 'em out to you. No charge.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the two books I finished this week was:

Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

The last book of the three he has out. I think it was the second one in the series but I read the third one before the second. I liked it better then Dexter in the Dark the third in the series. They just put the TV show on a channel I get on my TV. I have been wanting to watch it since it first came out but it was on a different channel then I get. I have satellite but I think it was on Shotime and I have HBO. I was so annoyed. I get it on channel 2 at ten now. I have only seen two episodes but I think they did ok with it. :D

Another one I just finished yesterday was The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz. If you like Koontz, you will like this book. One of his better ones I think but then I'm a Koontz fan. I loved the Odd Thomas books as well as most of the others by Koontz I have read through the years.

Isn't it a great feeling when you "discover" a writer and then go back and read all of his/her works in chronological order until you've caught up?

The very first such "discovery" for me came when I was 13 years old and read my first Edgar Allen Poe short story...The Telltale Heart. Every now and then I go back and read a Poe story just to remind me of what a great writer he was.

If you're a fan of Stephen King or Dean Koontz, et al and you've never read Poe do yourself a favor and read him now. See where it all began.

A few years ago (more than a few, I guess) I "discovered" Lawrence Block. The first Block book I read was 8 Million Ways To Die, from his Matthew Scudder series. Here's what Block says about Scudder..."In the early books, he’s an angst-ridden hard-drinking ex-cop and unlicensed private eye. In later books he’s sober. He’s twenty-five years older than when I first started writing about him, and he’s gone through changes, even as you and I. Remember what Eubie Blake said on his 100th birthday? 'if I’d known I was going to last this long I’d have taken better care of myself'."

Check him out here>>> LAWRENCE BLOCK

I remember doing that, Joe... I remember being so wrapped up in Stephen King's stuff that I couldn't get through his books fast enough to get on to the next.

Now I've two writers who I'm so enamoured of that are writing books in series. And the series contain 5-6 books per writer. I've read as far as I can in both of their series, and every time a new one in the series comes out, I'll find myself going back to the beginning and reading the entire series again - because they are that good, and because I need to catch up on everything and refresh the story so I can get into the new one remembering exactly where everything was.

These two writers are George R.R. Martin, and Diana Gabaldon. Both the best writers I have ever enjoyed. Ever.

I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird for school. An excellent book, I'm just sorry that my teacher is going to ruin it with over- analyzation. Maybe I'll just have to skip English class for the next month.

10/10. One of the best "coming-of-age" novels I've ever read, very well written, and, of course, big on the morals.

I've been a King fan forever, and you are right Joe, about Poe (hey, I'm a poet). I read his stories in jr high and high school, and I think that's where my love of the macabre began.

Wade, you just finished one of the best books ever written, IMO. Now that you've read the book, see the old Gregory Peck movie. Yes, it's in black & white, but it's a great translation of the book. I guarantee, you'll enjoy it as well!

The Grass Is Singing by Doris Lessing kept me up till 4 this morning because I told myself to finish it before I went to bed... it was that good. And surprisingly, I read it because it's on my reading list for English, which is usually a very bad sign as they like to pick out incomprehensible, long winded, Booker- and Nobel Prize-winning "masterpieces" to bore us with.

This one was really interesting though... it tells the story of a racist white woman in Africa who's married to a rather poor farmer. 9.25/10

Check him out here>>> LAWRENCE BLOCK

I listened to the Hit Man series by Block and wanted more. I loved him. I will have to try out the other you mentioned :thumbsup:

I used to be a huge King fan until I tried to read Gerald's Game and it really put me off him for some reason. The last book I listened to by King was Black House. I liked it but I loved The Talisman (my all time favorite King novel) I do have Duma Key on my Audible wish list tho.

I've been a King fan forever, and you are right Joe, about Poe (hey, I'm a poet). I read his stories in jr high and high school, and I think that's where my love of the macabre began.

I thought everyone cut their teeth on Poe :D

I listen to audio books more these day then read because my eyes are getting that bad. It also allows me to do other things while I listen. When I go to work or have to take my MIL to the doc like I will today.

If you have read "The Lord of the Rings" series and liked them then you must read "The Wheel Before Time" series by Robert Jordon. That is probably the best series of books I have ever read. Unfortunately he passed away last year just before he finished the last book of the series. I guess he left enough notes and instruction for his wife and a fellow writer to complete the last book. I was hoping they would never end :(.

At the risk of Sammy's head growing to gargantuan proportions and possibly exploding, I love to read anything that he writes. And Sammy, I've told you this before... you should write a book Dave Barry style. No joke.

Other than that... let's see... I'm struggling to get through "The Last of the Mohicans". Very stilted writing, and it's tough, but I'm bound and determined to read these classics, and this one is on my list, dammit.

I know this post is more than two years old, but I just came across it and it reminded me of that book again... I read this one and the other Leatherstocking books dozens of times when I was little :grin: I'd completely forgotten about it again.

Other than that... let's see... I'm struggling to get through "The Last of the Mohicans". Very stilted writing, and it's tough, but I'm bound and determined to read these classics, and this one is on my list, dammit.

David Copperfield, Call Of The Wild :bow: :bow: Must reads if you like classic books.

David Copperfield, Call Of The Wild :bow: :bow: Must reads if you like classic books.

Where from my statement do you get the idea that I like classic books? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

j/k :grin:

I will add those to my list... my list, however, has been interrupted by several more... ummm.... modern works. The latest of which was "The Other Boleyn Girl," which was one I could not put down. I think I read it in 3 days. And as soon as I was done with it, I immediately had to research Anne Boleyn, Mary Boleyn, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, etc. etc. etc. The book was a very eye-opening read.

• 3 weeks later...

Atonement - Ian McEwan

I have not seen the film at all, but reading about it made me interested in the book. I felt it a little flowery and slow moving at the beginning, but once it gets going, it really sucks you in. I couldn't wait to get my kid to bed every night so I could pick up the book and see what was going to happen.

It is not a romance novel by any means. It is more a tragedy. I would highly recommend it to anyone. 9/10.