Rate the last thing you read

Batman

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I just finished reading "Planet Germany - An Expedition into the home of 'Toast Hawaii'" by Eric T. Hansen, a Hawaiian journalist who lived in Germany for the past 20 years

it's fun to see typical German characteristics described from an outside perspective... and I also learned a bit about Americans ;)

8.5/10 :thumbsup:

I dropped by the BBC America website a couple of weeks ago and saw that "The Inspector Lynley Mysteries" had ceased production. PBS' "Mystery!" has been playing series 5 "Inspector Lynley," so I figured it was time to take up with Elizabeth George if "Sgt. Barbara Havers" and "Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley" were "Ballykissangeled." I hadn't seen the video version of "A Great Deliverance," so the topic was disturbing, to say the least. However, I was hooked, and have burned through "Payment In Blood" and "Well-Schooled In Murder." (Traditional GB nobles really take "death before dishonor" seriously! And English Public schools make me prefer Barbara Havers' working class animal farm of a school.) Also, I found "Wolves Eat Dogs," the latest paperback "Arkady Renko" mystery, which takes us into the radioactive lands surrounding Chernobyl and Kiev. I'm debating buying the hardcover edition of "Stalin's Ghost" just to see if the other great dictator rides the Moscow subways. :beatnik:

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

you don't look very exicted about Star Trek books, you not a fan?

not really :P

I like some Science Fiction, but Star Trek is, imo, too "good guys vs bad guys", and every species is a cliché (Humans are all good guys, Klingons are all warriors etc. etc.), you know what I mean? :crazy:

I just finished, But Enough About Me by Rolling Stone writer Jancee Dunn. Dunn writes about her life covering the crazy world of Rock n Roll. It's a very funny book. She has a very smooth writing style and her encounters with some of music's biggest stars are hilarious and sometimes frightening. It's a nice read.

"A Suitable Vengeance" by Elizabeth George (#4 in "The Inspector Lynley" series) What's this? 21-year-old Deborah Cotter just got back from 3 years in the U.S.? Lady Helen Clyde isn't Detective Inspector Thomas Lynley's paramour? And where is Detective Sgt. Barbara Havers? This WayBack Machine tale takes place some years in the past. It's another tale of mayhem and suspense concerning: Cornwall, Cancer, Cocaine, a cross dresser, and a leftover adolescent revenge plot from Tommy Lynley's past. As usual, have a large dictionary handy for "counterpanes, cerulean, and expiation." :beatnik:

I've been reading "Anne Of Green Gables" to my 8 year old daughter as a bedtime story. She says she's enjoying it, though I think she often finds the language rather bewildering. I'm enjoying reading it immensely, just as I did as a child.

The book is a family heirloom of sorts. My mum was given it by her parents for her 11th birthday in 1941. Once we've finished it, there's "Anne Of Avonlea" and then the rest of the series, whose titles I can't bring to mind right now.