Rate the last thing you read

Batman

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe Edna I too am trying to read an incredibly long Tolstoy novel- Anna Karenina. I am about half way through and its amazing, but I'm having trouble finding the time and the energy to read 700+ pages of fine print with not a page of action in it (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying books need action to be good, quite the opposite is often true in fact, but it sure makes them easier to read).

I also just finished a book called "I Am The Messenger" by an Australian author named Markus Zusak. Although it had an unexceptional plot, it's cleverly developed characters made it very enjoyable. 9/10.

Hehe Edna I too am trying to read an incredibly long Tolstoy novel- Anna Karenina. I am about half way through and its amazing, but I'm having trouble finding the time and the energy to read 700+ pages of fine print with not a page of action in it (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying books need action to be good, quite the opposite is often true in fact, but it sure makes them easier to read).

Wow, a twin soul... :cool: I know what you mean... "action" has not much to do with litterature, though the action it needs it´s of another sort... ;) Yet you´ve read half of it, and I´m having trouble with the first 100 pages :laughing:

I do love huge books though...

I read a very interesting book by newcomer Dietlinde Lau, called: "Algebra and Discrete Mathematics (Part I)"

The plot, though a bit long winded (500+ pages) and very detailed, is interesting to read nonetheless, you can virtually feel the joy the author had with writing the book.

The only down point of it is the characterisation of the main protagonists... and the dialogs, as few as there are, are seriously lacking in depth AND wit

all in all I give it a 7/10

PS can't wait for the sequel :crazy:

I read a very interesting book by newcomer Dietlinde Lau, called: "Algebra and Discrete Mathematics (Part I)"

The plot, though a bit long winded (500+ pages) and very detailed, is interesting to read nonetheless, you can virtually feel the joy the author had with writing the book.

The only down point of it is the characterisation of the main protagonists... and the dialogs, as few as there are, are seriously lacking in depth AND wit

all in all I give it a 7/10

PS can't wait for the sequel :crazy:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hehe Edna I too am trying to read an incredibly long Tolstoy novel- Anna Karenina.

i read this book when i was 13 and i adored it - it's still one of my favourites although i've only managed to read it twice! still have to take on 'war and peace'!

i read this book when i was 13 and i adored it - it's still one of my favourites although i've only managed to read it twice! still have to take on 'war and peace'!

Yeah, its a great book so far. So many thoughts crammed into one novel...reading it, you would actually think it should be longer.

Yeah, its a great book so far. So many thoughts crammed into one novel...reading it, you would actually think it should be longer.

I am into the first 1/10th of "War and Peace" now... .cool:

I was very much into Dostoievsky and mainly Chekhov (how do you write than name in English? :P I read it in French...) My mother insisted that I shoud read the original as I´m half-Russian but it was much too hard... I was very young when I read the classics, I think I should start with Victor Hugo now.

• 2 weeks later...

I read a Wikipedia article on Leo Sayer. 10/10

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I´m reading all of the Raymond Carver short stories I could gather lately, and also a book in Spanish by a writer called Eduardo Mendoza, "Memorias de Gurb"... it´s the funniest thing I ever read after "The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole", "A Conspiracy of Dunces" and mainly "Les Valereux "(Albert Cohen)...

I got up to "in" words in the dictonary.

"insuperable \in-SOO-pur-uh-bul\, adjective:

Incapable of being passed over, surmounted, or overcome; insurmountable; as, "insuperable difficulties."

Now theres something I didn't know...8/10, a bit long, but very imformative...

• 2 months later...

Let me see..... what are the last things I read?

1. Lust for Life by Irving Stone

A fictional biography of Van Gogh. Very nice... I loved it. I give it full marks. I was wiki-ing and googling topics on art and went through all his paintings and compared them to the phase of life he was in. Nuenen, Paris, Arles, St. Remy's...

2. Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith

Very appealing cover, and I'd been told it was very good but I didn't like it. The main character was not 'charming' but got on my nerves. She was nosy and interfering and I wanted her to just mind her own business! And the end left all the questions still unanswered and no real answer was given. Not nice, 4/10

3. The Suicide Club by R.L. Stevenson

It's the Prince of Bohemia! He's Bohemian! I'm moving, I want to live in Bohemia and change my nationality!

Good stories though...8.5 The first one was the best.