Rate the last thing you read

Batman

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

8684203.jpg

Too often these days we use the word 'amazing' a bit frivolous. An 'amazing' frappacino, an 'amazing' weekend, ad nauseam.

Prepare for something truly "Amazing".

Amazing book, amazing story, amazing man. Amazing, gorilla sized balls. Dig on it. The guy, strung a wire, illegally between WTC 1 and WTC 2, then walked out onto the wire. Like, what, 1400 feet up? Makes that frappacino seem like overpriced, leukwarm dishwater.

Ken.

After Phillipe Petit's adventure, he inspired me to become intrigued by high walking. I recall, as a 20-something yr old, walking the two and a half inch wide handrail around my 3rd storey balcony in Key West, back and forth - back and forth, for hours at a time. Though not as high as Petit's walk, the results would have been equally disasterous had I fallen outward. I learned about life and myself through Petit's experience. As a lesson for us all, I later wrote this:

It is not about the height of the walk nor the possibility of a fall upon which the highwire artist’s thoughts dwell; but the growing exhilaration formed during each advancing step ...

Remember the scene from the original Time Machine movie starring Rod Taylor? When he asks the eloi lad about books and the eloi lad says, "Books? Yes, we have books" and shows him to the library and Rod grabs a book and it crumbles to dust in his hand. That's how I feel. The internet has reduced my reading by about 80%. Shameful. Where are my spinning, story-telling rings?

I finally received Ron's (Steel2Velvet) book of poetry titled The Heart Of Peace last week. I flipped through it and read a couple of the poems and viewed some of the illustrations/photos but I haven't read it yet. I promise a review as soon as I've read it. It looks great.

BTW, I never mentioned I just read book 12 in "A Series of Unfortunate Events." I don't know why people think of this as strictly a childrens book series, I think it's brilliant. I give it an A.

Right now I'm reading "Dave Barry's Greatest Hits." 'Tis funny.

• 1 year later...

*bump*

Come on, we're more literary than that!

Last book I read was Sister of My Heart by Chitra Bannerjee Devakurni. Yes, I was surprised at the end. But it left some unresolved issues ultimately and it was a bit too... overdone. I give it a 4/10. I didn't really like it.

Now I'm reading Altona by Jean Paul Sartre. It's going good so far :thumbsup: I should be done with it soon.

Last book I read was Last Man Standing by David Baldacci. It took me ages to finish it because I kept forgetting about it, but it was quite good... 8.5/10.

Right now I'm reading Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia by John Dickie. I don't usually read non-fiction, so it's a bit unusual... but it's very interesting. :)

I also read Sister of My Heart by Chitra Bannerjee Devakurni. I found it very difficult to understand. I really never got past page 1. But I'll give it a 4/10, too because I trust Radhi.

:grin: Please do! Easy reading, though.. it didn't take very long to finish. But, you didn't miss anything by not reading it :P

I read 'Labyrinth' by Kate Mosse (not the model, she has no 'e' on the end!). It's a bit of a thriller blockbuster, along the lines of the Da Vinci Code, but in this book the action takes place in both the modern day and the 13th century. I was almost turned off by a dire metaphor on the first page (something along the lines of "the drop of blood fell onto her leg, exploding like a firework on Guy Fawke's night" - yissshk!) but the novel was actually very interesting and engaging. the author obviously did considerable research into the era of the crusades and you feel like you are learning as well as enjoying and exciting story. a light read but a good one! i'd give it 7.5/10

Remember the scene from the original Time Machine movie starring Rod Taylor? When he asks the eloi lad about books and the eloi lad says, "Books? Yes, we have books" and shows him to the library and Rod grabs a book and it crumbles to dust in his hand. That's how I feel. The internet has reduced my reading by about 80%. Shameful. Where are my spinning, story-telling rings ?

Exactly , Joe ! :P :thumbsup: Thus , I'm taking a little 'break' and diving back into some books instead of cyber-crap ...

The most recent book I finished reading was "Telegraph Days" by Larry McMurtry. NOT his best effort. With "Lonesome Dove" and "Anything For Billy" in his portfolio, "Telegraph Days" was certainly more of an exercise in supplying his publisher's demand. I was really disappointed. 2/10 at best.

And I'm still in the middle of the Jamie and Claire series by Diana Gabaldon - for the third time. Excellent. They all get 20/10.