This years voting for the top 1043 classic rock songs of all time.

RonJonSurfer

This list is merely a popularity contest. The voters were not trying to determine the "best", but just their favorites....you can have your own favorites, but you can't really argue with others about what they consider favorites.

So this list actually represents what mainstream classic rock radio listeners consider their favorite mainstream classic rock songs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q104.3 is for jocks who are ignorant about music.

NO OFFENSE.

This is the tenth year straight Stairway to Heaven, Baba O'Reily, and Layla, have been in the top five songs of the year.

The lack of change on the list from year to year makes it disinteresting and ignorant.

You're obviously ignorant about the point of the list. It's just people's favorite songs.

Get over yourself.

NO OFFENSE.

This is the tenth year straight Stairway to Heaven, Baba O'Reily, and Layla, have been in the top five songs of the year.

The lack of change on the list from year to year makes it disinteresting and ignorant.

Or...maybe that's why they are "Classic"...

NO OFFENSE.

Hey - Tom just expressed his opinion ! I think you're being a bit tough on him.

And if what he says is correct (and it sounds like he knows his stuff), unless the Station is #1 in it's area - you don't change a successful format - I think their playlist needs a bit of a shakeup.

:stars:

Hey - Tom just expressed his opinion ! I think you're being a bit tough on him. Have I missed some of his other posts? Is he a pariah who should be stoned to death.

And if what he says is correct (and it sounds like he knows his stuff), unless the Station is #1 in it's area - you don't change a successful format - I think their playlist needs a bit of a shakeup.

:stars:

Q104.3 is the only classic rock station in the New York area. They occasionally slip in some 90's rock (RHCP, Pearl Jam, Green Day) but they stay true to the format pretty much all the time.

Also, this isn't a playlist. It's a once a year countdown they do for fun.

How this be called this a comprehensive list of the best songs of all time. There are scores of egregious omissions on the list posted above.......I do not know where to begin.

Not a single T. Rex song

Not a single Cat Stevens (wonder why?) Cat Stevens is amzing better than James Taylor for sure. Has anyone listned to Teaser and the Firecat up there? New Masters? "First Cut is the Deepest" Thats Cat Stevens, not the pretentious Rod Stewert or the insufferable Sheryl Crowe we have come to know and love.

Not a single Caravan song. An not a single Soft Machine song for that matter.

An amazing progressive rock outfit to emerge from the "canterbury sound" of late 60s follwing the dichotomy of the Wilde Flowers. Half of the memebers formed Soft machine while the remaining guys formed Caravan.

New Order/Joy Division? Yes this may appear biased considering my avatar is a picture of the late Ian Curtis. "Still," no pun intended, Kurt Cobain allegedly said, "Love will tear us apart: is the greatest song of alltime. Furthermore, NME named this the greatest single of alltime in 2002 and it doesnt even appear on the list.

http://www.rocklist.net/nme_singles.htm

I simply cannot I comprehend how listeners can overlook so many talented rock groups when comiling a list of the , supposedly, greatest songs of alltime.

No Hard feelings.

BTW. My favorite song of all time is, "Summer '68" Richard Wright on vocals. Its beautiful, perhaps, ethereal. You ought to check it out; its on Atom Heart Mother.

I looked at the 1976 List (Readers) first - liked it better than the 2002 (Best Singles) List. Very British oriented (as you'd expect).

We had a big discussion on RSM's Top 500 last year, and generally agreed they'd done a pretty fair job, although none of us agreed with their #1 Pick.

It might be worth having a browse through the old threads to anyone who's interested. Wouldn't it be boring if we all agreed on everything ?

:P

what was that show about the pool player who dies, goes to 'heaven' only to get everything he wants: everyone always agrees with him, he wins every game of pool he plays, he's catered to day and night by beautiful women...

He goes nuts and says he would rather be "downstairs." The Man In Charge says, "Where do you think you are?"

what was that show about the pool player who dies, goes to 'heaven' only to get everything he wants: everyone always agrees with him, he wins every game of pool he plays, he's catered to day and night by beautiful women...

He goes nuts and says he would rather be "downstairs." The Man In Charge says, "Where do you think you are?"

That is one of the finer episodes of Twilight Zone written by the master, Rod Serling. Jack Klugman plays the frustrated pool shark who finally gets everything he thinks he wanted, only to realize his values were twisted by his own greed and arrogance.

• 6 months later...

Any (positive) list of rock songs that doesn't have "Spanish Castle Magic" as the number one song is a bad list. In fact, even if it's only number two, it's still a bad list. Even if it's tied for first, it's still a bad list.

Anyways, I find it odd that they make a new list of classic rock songs every year, because how can one classic rock song get better than another in one year? But if they're using new stuff as well, then the list can change.