Remembering John Lennon

Mike

Life Magazine - Remembering John Lennon 25 years later

I just picked this up, I was nearing the check-out line at the grocery store and I couldn't help picking it up and thumbing through it, once I did, I couldn't put it back. I really am grateful to John for what he gave us in the years he was a musician. The lasting impression he has made on me that will last my lifetime. Pick-up a copy of this on the news stand, It was only $11.00, well worth it for the pictures and words it contains.

Better yet click the link above and give this site few pennies to boot.

Life, John Lennon, what a fitting combination. I can't imagine what life would be like if he hadn't joined us in our world. Can you?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Lennon is loved and admired for his words and music, but it is his ambition, vision and boldness to stand against the winds aimed at toppling him that lifts him above musician status. We should all exhibit these characteristics if we are to hope for success in our own lives. This is the reason John said (in effect) "I don't believe in anyone ... but me." Nobody dead and gone was going to do anything for him. He would be the first to suggest that no syrupy words be spoken about him, but that his inspirations be impetus to make this a better world beginning with ourselves through our own ambitions, visions and fortitude.

John Lennon was an egotistical genius, who earned my undying respect. I agree with most of the quips and quotes attributed to him, including the notorious Jesus quote: "[The Beatles] are more popular than Jesus." Or something like that. (The man had a point.)

He spat in the face of adversity and lived life on his own terms, something I wish I could do more of. It takes an awful lot of strength and self-respect to manage that.

He knew what he wanted, and he was continually trying to get there... ironically, one of the very things he railed so vehemently against (violence) is what ended his life.

He certainly deserved better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would he have gained such a status had he been alive today?

Lennon (although a good musician and lyricist) is a great example of the hero-creation myths that our society is prone to. He wasn't a martyr or a hero, it wasn't an assassination but a simple murder, pointless violence by a nobody.

I know it's hard to believe for those who were too young or not born during Lennon's life, but he attained that status in life...it didn't take his death to make him something more.

Well, thats true. Don't get me wrong here, i'm something of a Lennon fan myself.

The point i'm trying to raise here is simple. Lets take James Dean and Marlon Brando as examples. Would James Dean have been remembered as well as he is today had he not died at such a young age? Would we be talking about Brando had he died young instead?

Granted, Lennon was already highly successful when he died, however I believe it was his involvement with The Beatles (a highly overrated yet successful band) and his political activism rather than his music that made him famous. I don't believe he'd have made it as a musician alone, Dylan was much better at that.

Edited by Guest

Would James Dean have been remembered as well as he is today had he not died at such a young age? Would we be talking about Brando had he died young instead?

James Dean was an icon of youth, a rebel and a very sexy guy, I don´t know what he would have done if he had lived... he only performed in three movies. But Brando was also Don Corleone and he was very good in "Apocalypse Now".

You really find the Beatles overrated? I think they were just magic... they changed it all.

Granted, Lennon was already highly successful when he died, however I believe it was his involvement with The Beatles (a highly overrated yet successful band) and his political activism rather than his music that made him famous. I don't believe he'd have made it as a musician alone, Dylan was much better at that.

I'm trying to take this in stride, but it's really hard. There is no way in hell that the Beatles are overrated, especially not "highly". I'm sure if pressed I could actually prove it scientifically. :) There is no band post-1960's that is not greatly influenced by them directly or even unknowingly. Maybe you're just not quite aware of the impact they had. I'm not meaning any of this in an accusatory way, though it may sound like it. But honestly I'm not - I just hold them in such a high regard that I'm compelled to defend them at the drop of a hat.

As far as the Dylan/Lennon comparison - I think that's also a bit off base. Lennon indeed "made it on his own" for a decade after the Beatles disbanded. Sure, he may have dropped off had he not been killed, but Dylan didn't eventually? Dylan had his amazing period; I'm not taking anything away from him. But he hasn't been "Dylan" in a few decades. You also don't think that Dylan's "political activism" had anything to do with his legend?

Dylan had his amazing period; I'm not taking anything away from him. But he hasn't been "Dylan" in a few decades.

I don´t think Dylan should be remembered for anything he did after 1974 with "Blood on the tracks". Maybe some spare songs ("Hurricane", "Changing of the guard" and "Seven days")... but this isn´t Bob Dylan´s thread anyways.

Edited by Guest
I did something wrong and quoted the wrong way... sorry...