Our Rock & Roll Heritage...

RonJonSurfer

I see that you're from England. I don't know what's popular there, but I don't consider 50 Cent, Britney Spears, and all the emo bands that sound exactly alike decent music. Maybe there are good bands that go under the radar, but I've yet to hear them.

The last good album I know of is RHCP's "Californication", released in 1999 I believe.

This is where I get myself in trouble, but I don't think any of the newer bands mentioned in this thread can shine the shoes of the people I mentioned in my first post...dead or alive.

I don't expect the younger crowd here to have the same rock heroes I do or think of them in the same light. Some of the younger crowd that spoke up do seem to love the classic rockers.

In my opinion, these new bands need a much longer track record to prove their staying power. I'll venture to guess we won't be talking about coldplay in 20 years. If there is a new sound to be made, a new style to invent, a genre to create, then somebody should do it and do it now, because 20, 30, 40 years goes by faster than you'll ever know.

What a drag it is getting old.

This is one of my favourite song lyrics ever! Never a truer word was spoken.

I agree with you RonJon, I don't think that Coldplay and company will be remembered for their contribution to music in 20 years time.

I suppose I'm counted as one of the 'younger crowd' on here, and I can honestly say that I find hardly anything to rave about in regards to today's music scene. There are occasional glimpses of brillance, but most is mediocre at best. I am violently opposed to rap, hip hop and r&b music, and since so much of that dominates current music, I don't listen to it.

I adore all the classic rockers, living and dead. I was ripped off being born in 1984, I missed out on everything that I love. I am very grateful at being able to see bands from the 60's and 70's that are still touring. I don't care how many members are missing or how old they look, I still get a chance to glimpse the legends that they were and imagine how fantastic it all was in their hey day.

I think that my rock heroes would be more like the 'older crowd' here on Songfacts. Anyway, it is all new for me, I missed it first time.

In my opinion, these new bands need a much longer track record to prove their staying power. I'll venture to guess we won't be talking about coldplay in 20 years. If there is a new sound to be made, a new style to invent, a genre to create, then somebody should do it and do it now, because 20, 30, 40 years goes by faster than you'll ever know.

Thank you, RonJon... that´s exactly what I mean.

As usual, you´r right! ;)

Katie, you didn´t miss these times, you can still enjoy the music and the bands that are still playing. I never saw the Doors or Beatles or Jefferson Airplane live but I love to see them live on a screen.

my favourite new band is oasis, their new album is amazing IMO. Am i the only one here who likes them?

they are not really new, have been around for 10 years, they were my fave band growing up

I see that you're from England. I don't know what's popular there, but I don't consider 50 Cent, Britney Spears, and all the emo bands that sound exactly alike decent music. Maybe there are good bands that go under the radar, but I've yet to hear them.

The last good album I know of is RHCP's "Californication", released in 1999 I believe.

well, i wasn't talking about britney or the like. there are plenty of older bands making new music, like radiohead, rem, the cure, depeche mode, pulp, rhcp, oasis, bush, pearl jam

and there are lots of neweer bands that make great music, like muse, grandaddy, franz ferdinand, the killers, the kaiser chiefs, the futureheads, the arcade fire, bloc party, the moldy peaches, the white stripes, stellastar and more. and may I note not all english!

so you just need to look further than the charts

finally, I will not sit here and defend new music by myself. I know there are some great bands out there, and I know that the music I listened to 10 years ago, is still being discovered, i.e the already mentioned oasis, radiohead etc. it's great to say that none of thse bands have staying power, afterall, how did anyone know who had staying power in the past with all the artists that you treasure? and i am not talking about the beatles and elvis, i'm talking about slighly more obscure bands

Damn, calm down. First of all, I never said anything about staying power, so that's a pointless argument. I liked Franz Ferdinand and the Killers, but there's something lacking about their sound to me. It's just nothing particularly new or powerful. It's good when I have my music on shuffle or something, but I don't find their stuff particularly great. I haven't heard all of those other bands so I can't comment.

I thought we were discussing popular music in the first place. The idea is that most kids are mostly exposed to the crap played on MTV or Fuse or whatever you have in England.