Our Rock & Roll Heritage...

RonJonSurfer

Yesterday I was watching "Inside The Actor's Studio" and the guest was Elton John. As he sat there and played the piano and sang, I was struck for my great appreciation that he was still with us. He is just a major talent but more personally a connection to the music that I grew to love.

The list of rockers that left us too early is astounding and very easy to compile:

John Lennon, George Harrison, Jerry Garcia, Mick Ronson, Jim Croce, Ronnie Van Zant, Brian Jones, John Bonham, Keith Moon.....sadly I can go on. My God I miss these people.

It is then with a smile I can listen to musicians that are my link to the rock & roll heritiage I accept:

Elton John, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Mick Jgger, Keith Richards, Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Brian Wilson, and more.

I am happy when I hear and see these performers still out there playing. Arlo Guthrie is coming to NJ soon and I want to go.

Neil Young still rocks..along with CS& N.

I does my heart good to know that they are still around for my kids and future generations to see.

These rockers aren't dinosaurs, the are the real deal and I am thankful for the years of music they have given us.

Ron...you hit the nail on the head hon! When I watched Eric Clapton last Friday on The Today Show with my little girl, I was a little sad knowing she will never be able to see him in concert but at the same time she will grow up with his music. I don't know what music lies ahead for her and her generation but I will be exposing her to what I grew up on and tell her the stories of the artists that make the music I have come to love and don't want to be without in my life. We have lost many as you said and as we all get older we will see more leave us, but their music will never leave our hearts and

souls. And that rock and roll heaven will be jammin'!

so true Jane and Ron...you both stated that very well...I'm amazed lately on how much the younger generation is into the 60's and 70's...i see it more and more everyday...teens talking about led zep and pink floyd, stones, who...etc...I think it's great...My youngest daughter had to do a write up for school. She had to pick a song that was about drugs. She said she didnt know what song to do, so I gave her some suggestions....alot of the class picked songs from today's music. My suggestion was Neil Young..Needle and the Damage Done...she had to analyze the lyrics, play the song for the class, and then give her opinion on the lyrics....I'm very proud to say she got a grade of 98 on her report....Since then she's listened to some of my Neil Young cd's...and she also likes Dylan....and one of her favorite cd's of mine is Rumours by Fleetwood Mac...Im really happy that she appreciates the old stuff, and still listens to her music too.!...okay, okay, enough braggin about my daughter...Im done :grin:

I'm a junior in high school and it's disgusting how little my peers know about any music before they were in 6th grade. My friends and I have been conducting polls to see how much other kids know about classic rock. Most kids in my school have no idea who David Bowie is. Most kids have heard of Stairway to Heaven, but don't know who Led Zeppelin is or can't name another song by them. It makes me ashamed to be part of a generation who calls Coheed and Cambria "amazingly talented" and "musical geniuses"

Edited by Guest

I'm a junior in high school and it's disgusting how little my peers know about any music before they were in 6th grade. My friends and I have been conducting polls to see how much other kids know about classic rock. Most kids in my school have no idea who David Bowie is. Most kids have heard of Stairway to Heaven, but don't know who Led Zeppelin is or can't name another song by them. It makes me ashamed to be part of a generation who calls Coheed and Cambria "amazingly talented" and "musical geniuses"

Keep up the fight...it's worth it....

I'd like to add that I'm awfully glad that I'm here to hear them. So many of my family and friends are gone. The ranks of my personal heroes and stars are thinning. Every year I witness the end of favorite comic strips, shows, book series, events along with the passing of the singers, actors, writers, et al that I've grown up with. What a drag it is getting old.

I'd like to add that I'm awfully glad that I'm here to hear them. So many of my family and friends are gone. The ranks of my personal heroes and stars are thinning. Every year I witness the end of favorite comic strips, shows, book series, events along with the passing of the singers, actors, writers, et al that I've grown up with. What a drag it is getting old.

May you stay, forever young....uncle joe! ;)

Lyrics for: Long May You Run

We've been through some things together

With trunks of memories still to come

We found things to do in stormy weather

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Although these changes have come

With your chrome heart shining in the sun

Long may you run.

Well, it was back in Blind River in 1962

When I last saw you alive

But we missed that shift on the long decline

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Maybe The Beach Boys have got you now

With those waves singing "Caroline"

Rollin' down that empty ocean road

Gettin' to the surf on time.

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Im really happy that she appreciates the old stuff, and still listens to her music too.

I think that is balanced, maybe because I am like that too. I appreciate music from many different decades, but it saddens me that so many young people don't listen to new music. So they are not legends, but how can you expect them to be anything yet? you need to give way to new talent, otherwise music will just die. ANyway, my point is that new people should listen to some new music, it is the music of our generation! and not all of it is crap!

Rachel, young kids DO listen to new music too... otherwise there would be no music industry. I know it´s decreasing and it´s not like years ago, but it still exists, there are plenty of concerts, new music is easier to find in the web, there are more and more fanzines, etc.

edna, rock music of elvis, the beatles, the stones etc has evolved, and new rock music differs. Sure, there are influences, which you can often identify with, but they have made the music their own. Dunno if i'm making myself clear here.

Anyway, Youngsters have found something new(ish) though, they all listen to hip hop and r'n'b.

Edited by Guest

edna, rock music of elvis, the beatles, the stones etc has evolved, and new rock music differs. Sure, there are influences, which you can often identify with, but they have made the music their own. Dunno if i'm making myself clear here.

You´re right. There is a new sound and a new music, there are new bands and the spirit of rock is still there. Young people needs artists to whom they can compare and look similar, they need role models, just as everyone does when you´re young. But I wonder why those new performers aren´t so exciting as old rock stars for many young ones?

They are voted best band because they sell more records, they can be heard on tv adds, the singer is maried to some actress, etc. They sell themselves to the audience better than other groups maybe. And they don´t sound noisy, they are easy to listen... their sound is "different", or let´s say, more commercial. But I wouldn´t tell if they are best group or not, I know few new bands...