Biggest let down

johnnyguitar

the pixies live, I was sooo excited but they said nothing throughout the whole thing and just played one song after the other, and didn't play "where is my mind?". it was a let down but i was still glad I saw them.

blur live, it was during the promotion of "13", and they came to a festival in athens. they played the whole album, song by song, not much fun! at least they made up for it in the end by playing "song 2" and "girls and boys"

ian brown live was really really bad. i was going through a stone roses phoase so I really wanted to see him, but the gig was just terrible.

Has anyone here ever actually sat all the way through Metal Machine Music?

Oh, not me... :P Lou Reed made the worse... album?? when we all were waiting for a great record. And he also stole the cover art, it was made by a guy I know -we were friends by then- and he didn´t even sue him...

It´s possible... I will have to check, I read something about it the other day... though he was with RCA till Coney Island Baby, then he released two albums for Arista and went back to RCA.

I just saw Metal Machine Music has no longer the old cover, which was a painting of Lou Reed in a street at night... maybe that guy I know sued him at last... after all, he´s an important painter now...

I found the cover made by that spanish painter, it´s "Take no prisoners" and not MMM... anyways, I remember there was some problem with another painter and Metal Machine Music but that was so long ago I doubt I´ll find any info about this...

Edited by Guest

I once went to see a "covers band" called "Smell My Fingers" or "Sniff This" or somesuch name as led me to believe they might do a few punk rock numbers. Sadly it was all pretty middle of the road A.O.R. and the only song I recognised was The Jags "(I've Got your Number) Written on the Back of My Hand". Even then the vocalist got some of the lyrics wrong. Still...I was on the guest-list, so it didn't really matter that much.

This second anecdote would fit better on the "Highly Over-rated" thread. At the Leeds Festival a few years back,(a costly event, even without the cost of a 10-hour baby-sitter taken into account), one of the "Headline Acts" was IAN BROWN. Yes, he who sang like an angel on the legendary first Stone Roses album. However, at this festival he "sang" like an elderly bison attempting Karaoke after 10 pints of Guinness. Strangely, this didn't stop his adoring fans from inanely chanting his name, while the rest of the audience shook their heads in disbelief.