Why does thrash/death metal suck ?

Kevin

Well , the title explains it all , and I'd just like some feedback from others on why they like / dislike it ? I find it merely raises blood pressure temperarly , makes one listen carefully to , what end up being, pointless lyrics , sound WAY too similar , and resemble , in an electrical, quick -tempo fashion , something that vikings may have marched to and enjoyed ... Worthless ? Perhaps . Just my thoughts ... and possibly something Supreme Court nominees should be questioned on .... ?!

Which bands would you class as death/thrash?

You've actually got me there , Katie as I don't follow it , but hear it increasingly on radio or in movies . I will hazard a guess as to say music of the type like Slipknot , or that stuff you hear with skateboarding 'stuff ' nowadays ... !? Levis might be on the right track . Is this unclear ?

I don't know that it sucks. I personally don't like it. It's the negative energy. Music is about energy.

I never really got into the whole death and destruction, kill kill kill stuff.

I enjoy Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper. Maiden does cover the death issue, but not in a 'I want to kill everybody' way. More of a sadness about the death and destruction in the world.

The Coop covers death a lot, but he's got a campiness about his stuff that makes it very tongue in cheek, you know?

It's 9/10ths image anyway, these bands. A million tattoos and swinging their hair around and playing as fast as they can. I doubt they live their lives constantly growling at everyone.

Generation probably has quite a bit to do with it, as well. Younger people are saddled with boundless energy, but haven't lived long enough to know where to channel it. To them, it's a release of pent up aggression and anger. Trouble is, they aren't sure what they're angry about, so these death/thrash bands give them a direction to feed that energy.

In Sue's case, I'll take a guess that this is something Sue listened to a lot more in her younger days, so naturally, she still likes it. It's like any music you listen to when you're in your teens. It's what you develop your musical tastes from, so naturally, you're always going to like that stuff from your formative years. Sue's musical tastes have changed from her teens, but that base is still there. The foundation of your musical tastes are always going to be there.

Of course, I could be wrong. Sue may have just discovered Slipknot yesterday, I don't know. :P

I can't imagine myself, being 41, just now discovering thrash/death metal and saying "yea, I like that", because it doesn't groove with what I already have in my mind what constitues good music.

I listen to metal and progressive metal, thrash, death and black metal on a regular basis. I liked it in my teens and I continually find new bands I enjoy.

I like thrash bands to dance to, and the others to listen to.

I don't like to limit the music I listen to based on stereotypes or one song by one band I heard that was bad. If I hear something I'm interested in, I'll take a listen to some more and base my judgement on that.

I'm not a devoted metal fan, but there is a lot I enjoy. I draw the line at Satanic based metal - it goes against my moral and religious beliefs, but everyone is filled with a bit of rage and moshing out to some metal is a great release instead of punching walls.

but everyone is filled with a bit of rage and moshing out to some metal is a great release instead of punching walls.

That´s so true... I had to deal some times with trash metal bands and guys with terrible looks... they were real nice and polite... I don´t judge them by their looks unless they wear a swastika or a Charles Manson tee-shirt...

Well , as I mentioned before , I don't follow it and that likely is keeping me from describing or labeling it accurately -- and I'm not referring to acts like Metallica , Iron Maiden and certainly not Alice Cooper , who use death/ Gothic imagery , etc. The genre I'm trying to describe is a newer sound where the bands singer is shouting/ screeching the lyrics in a very angry , supposedly intense , nearly psychotic way ( nearly impossible to make out the lyrics , too as it becomes kind of a chant , sometimes ) , backed by fast-paced , heavy drums and and distorted guitars playing repetitive , simple chords... Recent action and horror movies, video games (?) often have them in their sountracks ... any help ?

There is artful anger and there is anger for anger's sake. Unfortunately the new fade for metal(because they give a bad name to the rest of metal) is the "let's scream our lungs out because it's cool without having any musical talent", Korn, Slipknot, Disturbed, ICP etc would fall under that category.

Now you could say that Helter Skelter is "angry", but I think of that as more of "artful anger", as is Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dillinger Escape Plan, Judas Priest, early Napalm Death, The Stooges(even though they're not metal), Megadeth etc.

Edited by Guest

It doesn't "suck."

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people are fans of the "Big 4", Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax. A former Big 4 member, Testament, strattles the line between thrash and death with albums like The New Order and The Legacy while their later albums are heavy as hell and feature some great talent on the like DiGiorgio and Lombardo. Heavy Metal is also a lot more diverse than you think. Throw in something from Teutonic Thrash bands like Sodom or Destruction, then follow it up with some thrash/proto death like Possessed or Mercyful Fate, bring out the punk in you with something like D.R.I. or Suicidal Tendencies, take a trip to Florida(Immolation, Malevolent Creation, Death, etc.), go overseas with some up-and-coming band like Vader and top it all off with some Bay Area act like Metallica and some New York stuff(Overkill, Nuclear Assault.) Yep, it all sounds the "same".

Hey, I don't know a lot about funk, should I start a thread and complain about something I don't enjoy or understand?