Do Your Family Share Your Tastes?

johnnyguitar

My brother is loving rock at the moment, which is brilliant to be able to talk about the same songs and know what each other means! He still likes alot of bands that are in the charts, like The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Foo Fighters etc, where as I'm happier to listen to older bands who more or less have had their chart days, if they even entered it. I couldn't educate my brother with music, he had to just come around to it himself. Secondary school usually brings out your musical tastes, or at least that's what I found...

my brother was a great influence on me musically, with respect to classic rock and anything before the 90s. so we like the same kind of music although he is not really interested in much of the new music around.

my sister grew up listening to what i listened to, including oasis (when i was a teenager), the cure, pink floyd etc, and she liked it. and then she reached her teen years and started iking crap. i haven't lost hope though because she likes the killers and franz ferdinand, and recently discovered nirvana!

i have introduced my mom to some music that she likes, including portishead and some chill out electronica like rjd2, lemonjelly, royksopp

My brother is only in 5th grade, and isn't too into music. I can't tell what my sister likes, because she seems to like all the music I like, except when her friends are in the car, she seems like she can't stand the music I like. My dad really likes Celtic music (which he showed to me, and I like) and jazz, but not the kind of jazz I like. He likes smooth jazz, which I rather dislike. I prefer the exciting stuff. He also likes a lot of dance music, which I must admit is rather catchy. I can't tell what my mom likes, because she seems to like just about anything I listen to.

I get my share of all types of music in my house...Hubby likes mostly hard rock, which I do too at times....My oldest daughter is following her boyfriend around listening to his band play at various places, and I'm not really sure what she listens to...my youngest daughter's favorite group is Green Day, so I hear alot of that during the day, she also likes GooGoo Dolls, and Lincoln Park...so I get my share of the new music that's out there. :)

My parents like a lot of what I like because it is from their generation. Then there is a lot of stuff that I like and they don't. I got my original taste for music from them, but I've built on it a lot since.

I think I influence my brother. He is younger than me and not into music quite as much. I make him cds and he often rings me to ask the name of a song. He likes Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Black Sabbath, Elton John's early stuff and Simon & Garfunkel among others, and I've pointed him in that direction. If he didn't have an older sister who cared about his musical tastes, I dread to think what he'd be listening to :D :D :D :jester:

My brother is less than two years younger than me, we grew together and liked the same music, and went together to many concerts cause we shared some friends. My sister is 18 years younger so she likes other things. They´re not so much into rock and roll but rather all kind of musics, they´re very cultured people and have higher interests than mine.

My parents listened to classic music, or jazz. My dad brought home all the records I asked him for as he had them for free, but I don´t think he´d sit and listen to Traffic or Rolling Stones.

My nephew introduces me to Radiohead, Audioslave, Cake, White Stripes, Killers, Rage against the machine and other stuff he´s downloading on his computer...

And my husband likes whatever I like, French music included. I don´t like some of the Spanish bands he likes and he had a band too, I used to go to the rehearsals... He prefers Jethro Tull, Joe Jackson, Uriah Heep rather than Bob Dylan though...

My two sisters are older than me...One sister who is 13 years older than me listens to mostly oldies, early sixties music...the middle sister, who is only 3 years older than me really doesnt share the same music as me, but we are pretty close, and get along great. Her collection of music is mostly Genesis, which she absolutely loves, and she also likes Yes, and Steely Dan...My Parents listened to the old time Italian favorites of course, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como..etc...

Music was always around the house when my kids were growing up. I can remember my youngest running around singing Willie the Wimp cause that's what we called him. He was probably 4. All have an abiding love for classic rock, I can honestly say. Two are serious country fans(I like country), one's into techno, which is ok, I guess(cringing just a little) and one's into rock and blues, like me. That's one area I don't think they were neglected in!! :)

I only share my music tastes with my dad, he introduced/influenced me in my music tastes. I really love The Eagles, Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles, The Beach Boys and that sort of rock. My siblings think that my musical choices are somewhat 'dorky' but, I know better ;)

My brother and I have basically the same taste in music.

I introduced my parents into Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and most of classic rock, even though they were around during that time(they're in their 50s). It's quite sad actually, my mom STILL confuses Pink Floyd with Led Zeppelin, Money was on the radio and she said "I know who this is, it's Led Zeppelin!" :doh:

my eldest brother claims responsibility for me and my younger brother's good taste in music and he's largely right! the second eldest brother is a classical musician and doesn't really take an active interest in other genres. my mum has fab taste in music and turned us onto the beatles, the stones etc but she wouldn't like the heavier stuff that we're into like rage, beasties, prodigy etc.

My parents are both Colombian, so they played mostly Colombian music around the house. My mother likes Motown when I play it for her and both parents introduced me to Sinatra. UncleJoe, my mother likes Basia, too.

My sister was a metal/hair band chick in the '80's, but now, I'm not sure. She still likes Bon Jovi, but I don't know what new stuff she likes. Having two boys, 6 and 3, I don't think she gets much chance to listen to new stuff.

My brother's tastes change with the tides, so I have no idea what he's into now...he's been into hip/hop, he had a Pink Floyd phase, then he liked the industrial rock stuff like Skinny Puppy, then it was Lords of Acid....all over the place.

My husband is a hard rock and metal fan. My tastes are a little more diverse. I like almost everything. I don't really listen to country, metal, or house too much. Mostly I'm a fan of rock, pop, R&B and stuff like that.