Jennifer Juniper - Donovan

Mike

Jennifer Juniper - Songfacts

JennyBoyd65.jpgJennyBoyd.jpg

Born Helen Boyd in England in 1947 - younger sisters of Patti Boyd was given the nick-name Jenny after Patti's favorite doll.

Jenny was a London model and met the future drummer of Fleetwood Mac in 1965. Mick Fleetwood recalled the beginning of their relationship in his book, My Life and Adventures in Fleetwood Mac, "I met Jenny when I was still in the Cheynes...I'd see Jenny coming home from school, a stunning fifteen-year-old in white stockings. I lost my heart to her immediately. I had a massive crush on her, but was so shy I couldn't say anything to her. I knew then, at age sixteen, that this was the girl I was destined to marry."

Mick and Jenny's relationship was erratic for fifteen years. They broke up first in the summer of 1966 while Jenny was working as a model, "Well, I met someone in Rome and became involved. I told Mick when I got home and he got really upset. It was a very big breakup."

In 1966, Jenny had began experimentation with marijuana and LSD and described a incident which she said arose from the experience, "One momentous day I experienced an astonishing realization, which I can now identify as a spiritual awakening. The traditional Christian beliefs I had been taught as a child crumbled as I suddenly recognized that there was no God above or hell below. God was everywhere, inside each one of us. I saw everything as a circle: life, death, and rebirth, or reincarnation."

Jenny moved back to Los Angeles, moved in with Mick, and they remarried in 1976. The couple divorced again six months after Jenny sobered up with the help of an Oriental acupuncturist.

She moved back England with her daughters in 1978, where she met Ian Wallace, a drummer who had played with the bands King Crimson and Snape in 1972. They married in 1984. Jenny earned her bachelor's degree in humanities at Ryokan College, then she earned her master's degree in counseling psychology, and her Ph.D. in psychology in 1989. In her 1992 book, Musicians in Tune, Jenny Boyd stated that she divided her time between Malibu, California and Surrey, England with her husband, Ian, and was a consultant to Sierra Tucson, a Californian treatment center. Jenny and Mick's older daughter, Amy, had a son, Wolf Cassius, in 1994, and she resides in England with the baby's father, Atticus.

While Jennfer Juniper might not win the "deepest lyrics" award. It's a fun song, wispy song.

Like Ron says, Donovan well represents some of the "flower power music" of the sixies.

Other notables of his I really enjoy...

Mellow Yellow

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Barabajagal

And the song in question,

I mark this Exhibit A:

JENNIFER JUNIPER

Donovan

Jennifer Juniper lives upon the hill,

Jennifer Juniper, sitting very still.

Is she sleeping ? I don't think so.

Is she breathing ? Yes, very low.

Whatcha doing, Jennifer, my love ?

Jennifer Juniper, rides a dappled mare,

Jennifer Juniper, lilacs in her hair.

Is she dreaming ? Yes, I think so.

Is she pretty ? Yes, ever so.

Whatcha doing, Jennifer, my love ?

I'm thinking of what it would be like if she loved me.

You know just lately this happy song it came along

And I like to somehow try and tell you.

Jennifer Juniper, hair of golden flax.

Jennifer Juniper longs for what she lacks.

Do you like her ? Yes, I do, Sir.

Would you love her ? Yes, I would, Sir.

Whatcha doing Jennifer, my love ?

Jennifer Juniper, Jennifer Juniper, Jennifer Juniper.

Jennifer Juniper vit sur la colline,

Jennifer Juniper assise très tranquille.

Dort-elle ? Je ne crois pas.

Respire-t-elle ? Oui, mais tout bas.

Qu'est-ce que tu fais, Jenny mon amour ?

Jennifer Juniper, Jennifer Juniper, Jennifer Juniper.

Nothing much , as usual , simply that this is one song that drives me bananas . I trace this to a history of rock documentary , which was pretty good in most respects , except that it overly highlighted Donavan and this particular song , for some unknown reason . Also , our local radio station and , a DJ in particular , was very fond of it , so it received alot of play during the "Oldies " time-slot . Enjoyed the background info , though !

I have been listening to a lot of Donovan lately, another new discovery for me. I think that 'Catch The Wind' is one of the most beautiful love songs I've ever heard. I also like 'Universal Soldier', 'Season Of The Witch' and I of course love Donovan's work with Alice Cooper on 'Billion Dollar Babies' :D :D :D

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"The lock upon my garden gate's a snail, that's what it is.

The lock upon my garden gate's a snail, that's what it is.

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

The caterpillar sheds his skin to find a butterfly within.

Caterpillar sheds his skin to find a butterfly within.

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain.

Oh Wanita, oh Wanita, oh Wanita, I call your name.

Oh, the snow will be a blinding sight to see as it lies on yonder hillside.

Ah, my-my.

First there is a mountain"

I get such a kick out of this song. It's like one of the stupidest songs ever, but I can't turn it off when it comes on the radio....kind of like a train wreck, I guess. It's comical.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon:

Katie, if you haven't already heard them check out these Donovan hits:

Wear Your Love Like Heaven

There Is A Mountain

Atlantis

Sunshine Superman

To Susan On The West Coast Waiting

Barabajagal

Colours

Cosmic Wheels

Celia Of The Seeals

Thanks for that Uncle! I only have head three of those songs, so I'm off to check the rest out :D

I have been listening to a lot of Donovan lately, another new discovery for me. I think that 'Catch The Wind' is one of the most beautiful love songs I've ever heard. I also like 'Universal Soldier', 'Season Of The Witch' and I of course love Donovan's work with Alice Cooper on 'Billion Dollar Babies' :D :D :D

I just love the song "Season Of The Witch". It is my favorite Donovan song of all. :thumbsup:

My 2nd favorite Donovan song is "Sunshine Superman"(Jimmy Page plays guitar on this song).